Translation Google
Iran stops 24 activists for "spreading rumors" about "Corona"
"Reporters Without Borders" accused Tehran of hiding information about the virus
Wednesday - Rajab 3, 1441 AH - February 26, 2020 CE
Iran cybercrime police announced today (Wednesday) the arrest of 24 activists on the Internet, accusing them of spreading "disturbing rumors" about the outbreak of the "new Corona virus" in Iran, where 19 deaths, the largest number of deaths in the world after China.
The virus has infected about 140 people, including the deputy health minister in Iran, most of whose neighbors have tightened mobility and quarantine, according to Agence France-Presse.
"Twenty-four people have been arrested and taken to trial, 118 activists have been arrested over the Internet and released," semi-official Esna news agency reported, Fahid Majeed said.
Majeed said the arrests came after the creation of a special unit "to combat the disturbing rumors regarding the spread of the Corona virus in the country," according to the ISNA news agency.
He stressed that this unit takes measures against information, photos and videos "that contain rumors or misinformation aimed at stirring public opinion and escalating anxiety in society."
Health Ministry spokesman Kyanosh Jahanpur said the situation was "improving", while calling on the Iranians to limit their movements.
A number of schools, universities and cultural or sports centers have been closed and many sporting events have been postponed to enable health teams to clear buildings and public transportation.
Jahanpur announced the registration of four deaths among 44 new infections discovered in the past 24 hours.
The Iranian authorities announced restrictions on freedom of movement within the country for persons infected or suspected to be infected with the Corona virus. Health Minister Saeed Nemki said in a press conference broadcast by television: “Instead of declaring quarantine in cities, we will impose restrictions on the movement of those suspected of Have been infected or confirmed to be infected with the virus.
The French "Reporters Without Borders" organization accused Iran today of hiding information about the virus, while denouncing the crackdown on journalists who publish independent information. The organization said: "The authorities confirm their control of the situation, but refuse to publish the exact number of injuries and deaths."
Today, Iran accused the United States of spreading “fear” about the new Corona virus. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said, during a government meeting, after the invitation of US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Tehran to "tell the truth" about the virus, we must not allow America to add to (Corona) a virus called panic.
He added: ?The Americans themselves have difficulties in facing (Corona). 16,000 people have died in the United States with influenza, but they are not talking about their deaths. ”
Pompeo said at a press conference in Washington yesterday (Tuesday) that "the Iranian authorities have concealed vital details about the epidemic in the country." On Monday, a deputy from Qom said the virus left 50 people dead.
Deputy Minister of Health, Iraj Hariri, denied these statements, Monday, and promised to resign if these figures were confirmed, before he announced yesterday (Tuesday), that he had been infected, and government spokesman Ali Rabei was waiting, for his part, as a result of his tests.
Since the announcement on February 19 of the first two cases of infection in Qom, central Iran, and receiving visitors from all over the world, the government promised to be more transparent after accusing it of reducing the outcome of the epidemic on its soil and mismanaging the spread of infection.
https://aawsat.com/home/article/2151176/إيران-توقف-24-ناشطاً-بتهمة-«نشر-شائعات»-حول-«كورونا»