Any updates on the press conference held this morning?
This press conference took place yesterday morning (December 05, 2024):
Translation Google
UNIDENTIFIED DISEASE IN PANZI IN KWANGO: SITUATION UPDATE BY THE MINISTER OF HEALTH
Christian KAZEMBE
Dec 5, 2024
Kinshasa, December 5, 2024
This Thursday, December 5, 2024, a press conference was held at the Salon Bleu of the Government Building to take stock of the outbreak of a disease not yet identified in the Panzi health zone, located 417 km from Kenge, in the Kwango province.
His Excellency the Minister of Public Health, Hygiene and Social Welfare, Dr. Samuel Roger Kamba, opened this conference by specifying that his services were alerted at the end of last week about a disease affecting this remote region, which is difficult to access, especially during the rainy season (two days' drive from Kenge). The disease is said to have broken out since October 24, 2024. To date, 27 deaths have been reported in health facilities, including 10 due to a lack of blood transfusions. The local community reported 44 additional cases, and 382 cases were confirmed.
As soon as the alert was issued, a first emergency team, composed of the Kwango provincial doctor, three epidemiologists, a laboratory technician and two experts, was sent to the site to carry out an initial assessment of the situation.
A second assessment was carried out on 3 December 2024 by the national health authorities. Although the results of laboratory tests are still awaited, initial information indicates 27 deaths in health facilities and 40 other deaths reported by the community.
The symptoms observed are similar to those of seasonal flu, including fever, cough, runny nose, headache and body aches. Some cases show signs of respiratory distress and anemia. These elements make it possible to rule out, for the time being, the hypothesis of COVID-19 and to direct investigations towards a possible severe seasonal flu epidemic.
The area concerned is particularly vulnerable, having been weakened by a typhoid fever epidemic two years ago. In addition, the supply of medicines remains problematic, and child malnutrition is a worrying phenomenon, with 61 malnourished children recorded in this region. Around 40% of children are currently affected by this disease of still unknown origin.
The results of the analyses are expected in about three days. In the meantime, a central team from the Ministry of Health is preparing to go to the site to strengthen response actions. As soon as the results are received, the Ministry of Health will determine the strategy to adopt to control this worrying situation.
The Minister reaffirmed that the alert is maximum and that measures will be taken as soon as possible. In addition, a mapping of symptoms is underway to help identify the disease in question more precisely.
Taking the opportunity, Dr. Samuel Roger Kamba, assisted by Director Dieudonné Mwamba, also provided an update on the Mpox situation, which is stabilizing. From nearly 800 cases recorded in the 48th week, this number has now been reduced to 400 in the 49th week, he said. The recent participation of the DRC in a conference on the fight against Mpox in Congo-Brazzaville has helped improve the vaccination strategy.
The second phase of vaccination in the first six provinces concerned by this action will begin next week, announced Dieudonné Mwamba.
The Ministry of Public Health remains fully committed to controlling this situation and is doing everything possible to protect the population.
(A transcript of the press conference is also available.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcJThRSclKg