Disease X: DRC confounded by new outbreak, health system under strain
Thursday, December 12, 2024 - 3 min read

By
Patrick Ilunga
Correspondent in Kinshasa, DRC
Nation Media Group Kwango Province in the south-west of the Democratic Republic of Congo is facing a disease of unknown origin that has already killed 143 people.
The disease, which
broke out at the end of October, has infected some 400 people and is straining health authorities pummelled with Mpox and Ebola outbreaks in the recent past.
The Congolese government has said it is monitoring the situation and announced the deployment of a “a rapid intervention team”, including epidemiologists, a provincial doctor, a laboratory technician and experts.
But the World Health Organisation (WHO) has expressed concern about the remoteness of the affected Panzi area, logistical obstacles and the lack of security where the disease is rife.
The symptoms of the disease include coughing, headache, fever, aches and a runny nose, and are similar to those of severe seasonal flu.
The Ministry of Health has so far ruled out Covid-19.
.....
The unknown disease affects Kwango, which is experiencing a community dispute that morphed into an armed conflict between the Mobondo militia and the DRC's armed forces.
...
The results of the analysis of the samples have not yet been published. And experts have labelled the disease as ‘X’.
Meanwhile, a team from the Ministry of Health is preparing to step up action on the ground. But they say a clear strategy to combat the disease will be known once the pathogens have been isolated and the disease properly named. This may include the preventive measures for the public and public health decisions such as lockdowns or vaccinations.
Dr Kamba
stressed the need to remain on high alert and to take rapid action to bring the situation under control. He also said that symptom mapping was underway to help identify the precise nature of the disease.
The minister said that laboratory tests were underway to determine the exact cause of the disease.
“At this stage, it is also possible that several diseases are contributing to the cases and deaths,” said the WHO, adding that rapid response teams have been deployed to identify the cause of the epidemic and strengthen the response.
“The teams are collecting samples for laboratory testing, providing a more detailed clinical characterisation of detected cases, investigating transmission dynamics and actively searching for other cases, both in health facilities and at community level,” the WHO said.
:tiphat:
https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/te...ease-x-drc-confounded-by-new-outbreak-4855336