Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Today, there is no association between EV-D68 and the paralysis" - chief of infectious diseases Children's Mercy Hospital (Kansas City)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Today, there is no association between EV-D68 and the paralysis" - chief of infectious diseases Children's Mercy Hospital (Kansas City)

Heartland Health Monitor

8:57 pm
    Wed January 28, 2015

Children’s Mercy Hospital Dealing With Mysterious Neurologic Condition

By Mike Sherry
    None of the three AFM patients at Children’s Mercy were among its 300-plus EV-D68 patients, Jackson said.
    About two-thirds of the children with AFM the have reported some improvement in symptoms. Only one has completely recovered.
    “We are nowhere near understanding the neurologic piece of this,” Jackson said. “This is just the beginning of the story.”
    Jackson said her hunch is that researchers will determine that many viruses cause the neurologic syndrome.

See also:
    https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...sis-in-51-kids

Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic H.R. 834

i love myself. the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever. ---- nayyirah waheed
    Governments don't have or own souls.

(My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)
    Never forget Excalibur.

?Medical mystery? still stumps doctors amid outbreak of poliolike paralysis

By ALAN BAVLEY
    The Kansas City Star

01/28/2015 10:36 PM
    01/28/2015 10:38 PM
    Researchers once thought they might have an explanation for why this Joplin, Mo., boy and more than 100 other children from across the country have developed this poliolike paralysis since August.
    But as they collect more evidence, the cause has become less and less certain.
    ?In fact, it?s a medical mystery,? said Mary Anne Jackson, chief of infectious diseases at Children?s Mercy Hospital.
    Jackson and other doctors at Children?s Mercy were among the first in the nation to recognize that a virus called enterovirus D68, or EV-D68, once considered rare, was causing an outbreak of often severe respiratory illnesses among children last summer.
    Researchers suspected a link between EV-D68 and the paralysis because there were initial signs that some of the paralyzed children had been exposed to the virus. EV-D68 is a distant cousin of the polio virus.
    But as researchers have sifted through the evidence, they haven?t been able to establish that connection.
    ?Today, there is no association? between EV-D68 and the paralysis, Jackson said. ?We just don?t have any evidence that these two things go together.?
    Jackson wouldn?t say that EV-D68 has been ruled out entirely as a cause, but research into these paralysis cases has broadened considerably.

Ask Congress to Investigate COVID Origins and Government Response to Pandemic H.R. 834

i love myself. the quietest. simplest. most powerful. revolution ever. ---- nayyirah waheed
    Governments don't have or own souls.

(My posts are not intended as advice or professional assessments of any kind.)
    Never forget Excalibur.

Comment

Working...
    X