• pH1N1 Dominant Texas Fatality by County [Excel]
      • pH1N1 Dominant Texas Fatality by County [html/css]
      • Distribution of pH1N1 Influenza Fatalities in Texas [map by Al]

* 2014-01-12 Updated Stats from Jim Oliveros

Comment

Re: Texas: Houston area seasonal flu 2013/2014

Flu hitting young adults the hardest

-snip-

At least 13 adult deaths in Harris County have been related to influenza this season.

Four people, ranging between 45 and 53, died from H1N1 at their homes, according to the Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences.

-snip-

There have been two influenza-related pediatric deaths in the area as of last week, according to Texas Children's Hospital.

...more

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

141 Fatalities in Texas
          by
          2014-01-17 *

• Distribution of pH1N1 Influenza Fatalities in Texas [map by Al]

* 2014-01-18 Updated Stats from Jim Oliveros

Comment

Lufkin doctor hospitalized with H1N1 while daughter takes care of family

While a Lufkin doctor, diagnosed with H1N1, remains in a medically induced coma at Methodist Hospital in Houston, his 19-year-old daughter is furiously working to spread word of the family?s needs and to encourage the public to get a flu vaccination.

Rebecca Gill, whose father is Dr. Christopher Gill, a cardiologist at the Heart Institute of East Texas, said the experience for her family which included her mother, Mariela, also being hospitalized with the flu and subsequently suffering a heart attack, began the day after Christmas.

?He was making his rounds and became nauseous,? Gill said. ?He went to the emergency room and they told him they thought he had an upper respiratory infection and sent him home with an antibiotic. My mom began to get sick the next day after caring for him.?

Comment

Originally posted by tetano View Post

While a Lufkin doctor, diagnosed with H1N1, remains in a medically induced coma at Methodist Hospital in Houston, his 19-year-old daughter is furiously working to spread word of the family?s needs and to encourage the public to get a flu vaccination.

Rebecca Gill, whose father is Dr. Christopher Gill, a cardiologist at the Heart Institute of East Texas, said the experience for her family which included her mother, Mariela, also being hospitalized with the flu and subsequently suffering a heart attack, began the day after Christmas.

?He was making his rounds and became nauseous,? Gill said. ?He went to the emergency room and they told him they thought he had an upper respiratory infection and sent him home with an antibiotic. My mom began to get sick the next day after caring for him.?

http://lufkindailynews.com/news/comm...tml?mode=print
              Severe or Fatal Influenza
              in
              Spousal Clusters

Family clusters of severe or fatal influenza have been reported this season. Both husband and wife suffered a fatal outcome in Knox County, Kentucky [FT#216770]. A family from Greenbriar, Tennessee has lost their 45 year old father after he and their ill mother made a difficult financial decision at Christmas that she would pursue medical care.

Comment

Source: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/lak...&pid=169229459

Richard Mayne "Rick" Bonyata
                Obituary

Mr. Richard Mayne (Rick) Bonyata (47) of Kingwood, Texas, passed away on January 19, at Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston, Texas, as a result of complications of the H1N1 flu...

Comment

Originally posted by tetano View Post

http://lufkindailynews.com/news/comm...tml?mode=print
                  News story.
                  <table align="center" border="0px" cellpadding="2px" cellspacing="0px" style="background-color: #ffe9c4; border-color: darkred; border-radius: 4px; border-style: ridge; border-width: 12px; box-shadow: 0 5px 15px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-top: 2px; width: 80%;">
                  <tbody>
                  <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 140%; font-weight: bold;">Daughter says Lufkin cardiologist with H1N1 is coming out of coma
                  </td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center;"><td style="font-size: 90%;">?My prayers were answered and dad is awake,? she posted. ?Keep the prayers going up.?
                  </td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center; font-size: 100%;"><td></td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td>By RHONDA OAKS/The Lufkin News</td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center; font-size: 60%;"><td><a href="http://lufkindailynews.com/news/" target="_blank">The Lufkin Daily News</a>
                  Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:39 am
                  Updated: 8:29 pm, Thu Jan 23, 2014.</td></tr>
                  <tr style="float: center;">
                  <td align="center" style="vertical-align: middle; width: 75%;"><div style="background-color: navajowhite; border-bottom-left-radius: 20px; border-bottom-right-radius: 20px; border-top-left-radius: 20px; border-top-right-radius: 20px; border: 2px solid maroon; color: black; line-height: 18px; padding: 10px; text-align: center; width: 75%;">
                  <div style="text-align: left;">
                  <span style="font-family: Georgia, Times New Roman, serif; font-size: 100%;">'Becca Gill
                  Daughter
                  Nursing Student,
                  Stephen F. Austin State University

"?I was talking to a nurse at the door of his hospital room when I looked over at him and I saw his eyes open,? she said. ?I said, ?Hi, Daddy,? and he mouthed my name.?

Gill said her father has not yet spoken, but is responding to verbal commands, making facial expressions and body movements.

Both Gill and her mother, Mariela, displayed flu-like symptoms early in her dad?s illness, but her mother suffered a heart attack just days after her father became critical.

?This has left my dad totally helpless. They tell me it will take months for him to recover, and he was a strong, healthy man.?'

</span></div>
                  </div>
                  </td></tr>
                  </tbody></table>

Comment

Daughter Says Lufkin Cardiologist Suffering from H1N1 is Progressing in Houston Hospital
                    News Story with Video.

Comment

Per Capita
                      Fatality Rank
                      Texas

2014-01-25 *

Sixth

The State of Texas ranks 6th in America with a per capita reported fatality rate from Influenza at 6.7 per million.*

* 2014-01-25 Updated 'States with the highest population-based flu fatality rates' [FT#217207] from Jim Oliveros

Comment

166 Fatalities in Texas
                        by
                        2014-01-25 *

* 2014-01-25 Updated US Deaths by State [FT#216453] from Jim Oliveros

Comment

175 Fatalities in Texas
                          by
                          2014-01-30 *

* 2014-01-30 Updated Stats from Jim Oliveros

Comment

Local doc recovering from H1N1 says get the flu shot

A Lufkin family is slowly recovering from devastating illnesses that have taken over their lives since the new year began.

Dr. Christopher Gill, a cardiologist, was diagnosed with H1N1 and remained in a medically induced coma for weeks at Methodist Hospital in Houston. Dr. Gill?s 19-year-old daughter, Rebecca, stayed by her father?s side during the critical weeks of treatment and rehabilitation. Her siblings, Alex and Monica, stayed in Lufkin with their mother, Mariela, who suffered a heart attack two days after Dr. Gill fell ill.

Comment

I keep hearing people recommending the flu-shot just because
                              they had the flu or it was widespread in their region or they
                              knew people who had it.

That is unscientific.

Better rely on the statistics , which also involves all the other
                              millions of people.
                              I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
                              my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Working...
                              X