This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tracking the World Wide Age Distribution of Swine Flu

Swine Flu Deaths Take 90% of Toll Among Young People (Update3)

By Pat Wechsler and Tom Randall
    Oct. 20 (Bloomberg) -- Almost 90 percent of 292 deaths related to swine flu in the U.S. since Sept. 1 were in people younger than age 65, contrary to the pattern for seasonal flu, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.
    In a typical season, the majority of deaths are among people older than 80, Anne Schuchat, head of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the Atlanta-based CDC, said today in a conference call.
    Almost 5,000 people in 27 states covered by the report have been hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed H1N1 influenza since Sept. 1, and more than 53 percent are younger than 25, Schuchat said.
    ?This is a young person?s disease,? Schuchat said. The number of deaths among younger Americans ?is really, really different from what happens with the seasonal flu. It is tragic for the family and hard for us in public health to see.?......

Comment

From Ireland;

Click image for larger version

Name:	Age distrib..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	650453

Name:	Hospitalized by age.JPG
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	650454
      Twitter: @RonanKelly13
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Missouriwatcher.
        Source: http://www.cdc.gov/Vaccines/recs/aci...-2-flu-vac.pdf

Name:	fatalities by age wk 35-40.JPG
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	651611

Name:	US hospitalizations by age wk 35-40.JPG
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	651612

Name:	US fatality rate.JPG
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	651613
        The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Name:	Age distribution..gif
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	651646

Comment

Strangely, when you look at the % of ILI sorted by age group, from the ever changing (retroactively) CDC data, the % is constant, except for the 0-4 and 5-24 year old age groups. What's more, it predicts new waves by about a week earlier than the CDC and Google Flu Trends...

Public domain, if you can make a buck off it, give some to the poor.

Comment

Thanks, Rick and welcome! I don't think that the CDC is puposely trying to upset you.
              "All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received."

That 5-24 group certainly seems to be the leading intensity indicator. School kids, college kids. Large numbers in small spaces.

Comment

Hi RoRo,

Well, my experience in business is that if it's uncertain whether it's incompetence or evil intent, it always turns out to be incompetence.

But in the case of the CDC, after following this for months, I'm convinced it's both. The data is deliberately obscured and made difficult to access. For instance, as the Fall Wave started to ramp up, they had this amateurish graph any 10 year old kid these days could do a better job of, but at least not deliberatelly deceptive...

Then, realizing it really looks bad to ramp up like that compared to previous years, the next week they come out with this dead fish...

As an expert on such things, it's deliberately designed in all ways to be deceptive. You can no longer compare it to previous years, it's no longer obvious that something unusual is going on. Plus, the horizontal scale is so compressed with the dates slanted, that it can't be read. And the icing on the cake, even though the original was done by someone that seems incapable of using modern software like Excel, it is also deliberately distorted. A crappy Gif like that will never be clear, but you have to go to extra steps to make it that much worse than the original. Compare the vertical scales, for instance. And the horizontal scale has gone through an extra step of distortion.

I'd bet the ranch the person producing it was told to hide the fact it was ramping up, to prevent panic etc., and followed orders every way they could think of with their limited knowledge of the subject.

Comment

The "% Between 5 and 24" Model doesn't just predict Waves a week before everything else, it give us a measure of what percentage of ILI is from a Wave/Pandemic Wave.

What it's saying, is that the Fall Wave has ended, with a low level of the 2009 Pandemic still out there. It's not just the ILI background noise. Google Flu Trends will tick up, particularly during the week as it flops up and down. And it looks like the algorithm accents change to try to win the prediction race with the CDC. Over a dozen states were up last week, in the US, as the curve started to bottom out, but now 100% are down. Google would have told you last week that it was going back up, while the "% Between 5 and 24" Model strongly predicted otherwise.

Public domain, if you can make a buck off it, give some to the poor.

Comment

From Spain.
                    Acumulated sentinel cases from #20 week to #48 week:

Attached Files

Comment

Most recent data on fatalities from India indicating a slight shift towards the 40-60 age group.
                      Age Distribution:
                      0-9: 57 (10.9%)
                      10-19:36 (6.9%)
                      20-29:155 (29.5%)
                      30-39:117 (22.3%)
                      40-49:90 (17.1%)
                      50-59:47 (9.0%)
                      60-69:20 (3.8%)
                      70-79:3 (0.6%)
                      Unk: 183
                      (Average: 31.2; Median: 30; Range 1 month to 71 years).

compared to Nov 28th
                      Age Distribution:
                      0-9: 51 (11.0%)
                      10-19:32 (6.9%)
                      20-29:143 (30.8%)
                      30-39:105 (22.6%)
                      40-49:75 (16.2%)
                      50-59:36 (7.8%)
                      60-69:19 (4.1%)
                      70-79:3 (0.7%)
                      Unk: 113
                      (Average: 30.9; Median: 30; Range 1 month to 71 years).

Comment

Canada has some good stats:
                        Weekly data on flu in Canada, and systems that monitor flu: FluWatch and Respiratory Virus Detection Surveillance System.

Comment

Working...
                        X