Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion thread V - COVID-19 (new coronavirus)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion thread V - COVID-19 (new coronavirus)

Previous discussion thread here:

https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...rus#post857913

Analysis of sewage indicates community spread

Hiawatha, Kansas

PRESS RELEASE – City of Hiawatha
    05/06/2020 On April 24th

The University of Kansas School of Engineering and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) collected samples from 12 wastewater plants, one of which was the City of Hiawatha’s, to determine if the COVID-19 virus can be detected in the wastewater systems of local communities. We have been informed the sample of influent wastewater (wastewater entering our sewer plant) tested positive for COVID-19. We have not been provided any estimate based on the test of how many positive cases they believe there were at the time of the test but, it’s safe to say COVID-19 has been present within the boundaries of the Hiawatha wastewater collection system. The research group has not performed any follow up testing as of the date of this press release. Now that we know COVID-19 has been present in our community but, no positive cases have been identified through testing, we are hopeful the precautions we have all been taking as a community have been helping to deter the spread of COVID-19. As a result, we strongly encourage people to continue taking precautions and respect the social distancing guidelines as recommended by KDHE and the CDC. We will continue updating as more information becomes available.

Here is a news clip about the testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4r4w3QaB4
    Last edited by sharon sanders; May 7, 2020, 10:45 AM. Reason: added link at top

Hiawatha is located in Brown County, KS. Brown County reported its first case of Covid-19 this week.

Comment

Pneumonia like illness spread thru community in September 2019
      Joint Press Release Hiawatha Community Hospital Hiawatha Un...

JOINT PRESS RELEASE
      LONNIE MOSER
      THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2019
      Joint Press Release

Hiawatha Community Hospital Hiawatha Unified School District No. 415

John Broberg, CEO Lonnie Moser, Superintendent

(785) 742-6283 (785) 742-2266

We continue to see an elevated number of patients presenting with pneumonia-like symptoms at this time. While it is currently unknown what is causing illness, the Hiawatha Community Hospital and USD 415 are working closely with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) and the Brown County Health Department to investigate this cluster of illnesses.

If you have a fever, please stay home until you have been fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication. If you have a fever of 100.4 or greater for 3 days with a cough, please see your medical provider. An underlying respiratory condition, such as asthma, may make illness worse so consider seeing your medical provider soon after illness starts. KDHE does not recommend to exclude a person with a cough from school or school event. A cough could have many causes including asthma, allergies, or other respiratory illnesses and does not warrant isolation. If you only have a cough, it does not mean you are sick with this illness; however, if you are having severe coughing fits, it is recommended you stay home.

As a reminder, always practice healthy habits to prevent the spread of germs, especially when you are ill. Remember to:

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. After using the tissue, throw it in the trash and wash your hands.

If a tissue is not available, please cough or sneeze into your sleeve at the elbow. Do not cough into your hands.

Wash your hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs spread this way.

Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs.

Please note the HCH Family Practice Clinic holds walk-in clinic Monday through Friday from 7:30 am – 9:00 am. If you are unable to make it to the walk-in clinic, please call 785-742-2161 for a same day appointment.

__________________________________________________ ____

"Considerable number" of USD 415 students sent home as illness spreads
      By Nick Viviani | Posted: Thu 9:48 AM, Sep 12, 2019 | Updated: Thu 11:48 AM, Sep 12, 2019
      Superintendent Lonnie Moser explained that sending the students home is in line with suggested protocol and does not necessarily mean they have contracted the unknown illness.

HIAWATHA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A "considerable number" of students in Brown Co. were sent home on Wednesday after the school officials confirm new cases of a pneumonia-like illness plaguing the Hiawatha school district.

USD 415 Superintendent Lonnie Moser explained that sending the students home is in line with suggested protocol and does not necessarily mean they have contracted the unknown illness. Most of the students are between the ages of nine and 14 years old

"However, we feel it is best to be careful," he continued. "This undoubtedly has caused inconvenience for many families. While we regret this, we must do what we can to mitigate this issue and protect our students and staff."

On Thursday, 83 students stayed home, the district said.

The district stepped up its cleaning and disinfecting procedures and is in contact with the Brown Co. Health Dept. and Hiawatha Community Hospital, he said. The Kansas Dept. of Health and Environment also contacted the district Tuesday.

"This is certainly troubling," Moser told parents. "Please know we are doing what we can in order to keep your children, our students, and our staff safe and healthy."

He added that the district will also continue the safety protocols it previously enacted.

Comment

Originally posted by sharon sanders View Post
        And again.....dismissed......this writer follows us and well....disappointing....will be interesting to see if they make an edit.

Like I said in another post, I am not taking this disrespect anymore.

Nsikan Akpan

@MoNscience
        ?
        10h
        In January, the WHO took 8 days after an initial meeting to declare a global health emergency. On Friday, I asked the director-general if the committee had any regrets over originally postponing: “The world had enough time to intervene.” -
        @DrTedros

How to measure your nation’s response to coronavirus
        National Geographic reviews the lessons learned from national responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
        nationalgeographic.com
        FluTrackers.com
        @FluTrackers
        Replying to
        @MoNscience
        and
        @DrTedros
        Nice article but a small edit might be warranted. FluTrackers was the earliest public warning (in the context of your article). Check out the independent wayback machine internet archive to verify the exact timing. We are sure that you want to be accurate. https://web.archive.org/web/20200226094911/https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/china-2019-ncov/821830-china-original-2019-ncov-news-thread-weeks-1-4-december-30-2019-january-25-2020…
        9:10 PM ? May 2, 2020?Twitter Web App

View Tweet activity
        FluTrackers.com
        @FluTrackers
        ?
        21m
        Replying to
        @FluTrackers
        @MoNscience
        and
        @DrTedros
        Our public warning dated December 30, 2019 at 11:35 pm ET. https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/china-2019-ncov/821830-china-original-2019-ncov-news-thread-weeks-1-4-december-30-2019-january-25-2020

--------------------------------------------------------------------

National Geographic

@NatGeo
        ?
        7h
        Here's how to understand the key differences in countries' coronavirus responses. What worked? What didn't?

How to measure your nation’s response to coronavirus
        National Geographic reviews the lessons learned from national responses to the COVID-19 pandemic.
        nationalgeographic.com
        FluTrackers.com
        @FluTrackers
        Replying to
        @NatGeo
        Nice article but a small edit might be warranted. FluTrackers was the earliest public warning (in the context of your article). Check out the independent wayback machine internet archive to verify the exact timing. We are sure that you want to be accurate. https://web.archive.org/web/20200226094911/https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/china-2019-ncov/821830-china-original-2019-ncov-news-thread-weeks-1-4-december-30-2019-january-25-2020…
        9:25 PM ? May 2, 2020?Twitter Web App

View Tweet activity
        Retweet
        @FluTrackers
        ?
        24m
        Replying to
        @FluTrackers
        and
        @NatGeo
        Our public warning dated December 30, 2019 at 11:35 pm ET. https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/-2019-ncov-new-coronavirus/china-2019-ncov/821830-china-original-2019-ncov-news-thread-weeks-1-4-december-30-2019-january-25-2020
        The original text was not amended. See below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	natgeoarticle.PNG Views:	4 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	858029

In fact the author Nsikan Akpan @MoNscience deleted (i.e. "hidden") my first tweet to him suggesting he make an edit. For the record - the earliest public warning of this pandemic in the world was the Chinese media. Not ProMed-mail.

Click image for larger version  Name:	natgeoarticle1.PNG Views:	4 Size:	45.4 KB ID:	858030

The author just interviewed Fauci and promoted it with the following mention downplaying the Chinese lab theory:

Nsikan Akpan
        @MoNscience

Fauci: No scientific evidence the coronavirus was made in a Chinese lab
        In an exclusive interview, the face of America’s COVID-19 response cautions against the rush for states to reopen, and offers his tips for handling the pandemic's information deluge.
        nationalgeographic.com
        7:42 AM ? May 5, 2020

Matches theme of ProMED interview of February 28 where the moderator (who takes credit for prompting the Wuhan municipal announcement of the mystery pneumonia later in the day) makes supportive comments about China:

"Do you have reason to believe your information prompted them?

I think it helped. I think this go around, China has been completely transparent. SARS was a lesson on the need for transparency. I’ve been very impressed with them. They’ve been putting out data whenever they’ve had it. I think in Wuhan, what happened was they were just overwhelmed. And they were very honest. They admitted that they basically didn’t have the surge capacity to handle the volume, which is why they ended up building two hospitals in less than a week." link

See the pattern and why FluTrackers gets cut out...and actually denied recognition/ignored...even when the discrepancy is pointed out?
        Last edited by sharon sanders; May 6, 2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Fauci: No scientific evidence the coronavirus was made in a Chinese lab ... I haven't seen any evidence it wasn't ..In fact,how can they proclaim China has been open when we haven't been to the lab or have actual original samples? Since we don't take their money and toe their lines, they will always take our credit. China didn't call promed and tell them there was an outbreak. SOMEBODY saw it here first.
          CSI:WORLD http://swineflumagazine.blogspot.com/

treyfish2004@yahoo.com

Comment

• Emily
            Emily commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a very Darth Vaderish photo of Fauci. Well chosen since I thought he was disingenuous in the interview.

nobody sent me an email. fluwiki,flutrackers,PFI , old flubies.
          I had actively followed all the outbreaks and disasters here with charts etc.
          I wasn't regularly following flutrackers the last years, only occasionally.
          Wasn't regularly checking the news either.
          I accidentally heard about Wuhan in TV or radio on Jan22

I'm interested in expert panflu damage estimates
          my current links: http://bit.ly/hFI7H ILI-charts: http://bit.ly/CcRgT

Comment

Looking at the link supplied by Sharon. Penguin6 posted, at 23:35 on the 30th. Dec (unknown time zone), a HK news report, dated 31st Dec. (China time zone), which gave its source as Chinese CCTV. The HK news item said at that time the Chinese had sent a team to investigate a CAP of unknown origin and that "Some mainland media have also quoted sources from Shanghai’s Tongji University as saying the new cases of pneumonia and the Sars virus appear to be very similar,"
            On that timeline CCTV and "Some mainland media" seem to have been the first to report something was going on but nobody knew what, yet, but the Chinese health authorities obviously were aware there was something was worth further investigation. After that things moved very rapidly Wuhan health authority posted on their site and China notified the WHO. Dr. Tedros gave a detailed timeline listing of what the WHO knew and what it did in the 29th. of April press briefing, the transcript is at the link. https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=aaa81d24_2

Comment

Originally posted by JJackson View Post
              Looking at the link supplied by Sharon. Penguin6 posted, at 23:35 on the 30th. Dec (unknown time zone), a HK news report, dated 31st Dec. (China time zone), which gave its source as Chinese CCTV. The HK news item said at that time the Chinese had sent a team to investigate a CAP of unknown origin and that "Some mainland media have also quoted sources from Shanghai’s Tongji University as saying the new cases of pneumonia and the Sars virus appear to be very similar,"
              On that timeline CCTV and "Some mainland media" seem to have been the first to report something was going on but nobody knew what, yet, but the Chinese health authorities obviously were aware there was something was worth further investigation. After that things moved very rapidly Wuhan health authority posted on their site and China notified the WHO. Dr. Tedros gave a detailed timeline listing of what the WHO knew and what it did in the 29th. of April press briefing, the transcript is at the link. https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=aaa81d24_2

Yes. I gave a couple of interviews where I specifically indicated that neither ProMED or FluTrackers was responsible for prompting the Wuhan government to release information. While ProMED takes credit for that - the reality is that the media outbreak reports and the government releases now work in tandem since several years. I have seen it dozens of times.

For instance, there is a large H7N9 avian flu outbreak in chickens in a market...a media report gets out....a few hours later an OIE report is released. The Chinese censors let the Wuhan pneumonia press reports pass through the fire wall because an official information release was already in the works.

The Chinese doctors who were reprimanded by the government got in trouble because they posted the blood report on the internet of at least one patient that showed he/she tested negative for all known diseases while displaying atypical pneumonia symptoms. It was the report they had sent to their CDC. I think they posted this on the internet in China time zone of Dec. 30. They created a firestorm and this is probably why the Chinese government was spurred on to make public releases. Also - a problem for China was that there were dozens of people coming into the hospital with the same symptoms. This outbreak was becoming too large, and therefore, impossible to cover up.

For the last several years the control of news out of China is in a complete lock down. If you see an outbreak reported it is because they are letting you see it. Several reporters asked me how I knew this was a "big deal" and I told them it is because the Chinese government was letting the media stories out. This is really why I was concerned.

What I routinely find are the odd disease articles. If you string them together with other information you can piece together something over time. For China to allow news about 2 dozen people ill with a mystery pneumonia, indicating a cluster, is really a big deal. It means it is the tip of the iceberg of some disease event.

Comment

I grabbed a few posts on the end of the last discussion thread to start this one. The other was getting too long with 22 pages. Please post here now. Thanks!

Comment

Groan...look at the graphs...

Helen Branswell

@HelenBranswell
                  New modeling projections from
                  @ColumbiaMSPH
                  point to rebounds in #Covid19 cases/deaths in coming weeks as states increasingly reopen businesses & remove movement strictures. Daily deaths could hit between 1800 & nearly 2500, the model suggests.

Projections Suggest Potential Late May COVID-19 Rebound
                  mailman.columbia.edu

Comment

FluTrackers.com
                    @FluTrackers
                    ?
                    2m
                    This is Safety First Weekend

Ok...everyone...remember at the beginning of this when we said only you can protect you? That govs can only be so effective..

This is true more than ever.

You need to be careful in your daily life.The govs are opening up.

It is all up to you now

Comment

Using the drug Tocilizumab when a patient is having cytokin storm. Patient +50 years old, history of childhood asthma, overweight and had high blood pressure. Showed relief an hour after given the drug. Sorry both links in Icelandic but Dr's names appear on left hand side in magazine if needed.

https://www.laeknabladid.is/tolublod/2020/05/nr/7338The Icelandic Doctors Magazine

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2020/05/07/...andi-medferdar News

Comment

Might I add a clip of a 102 year old woman that has now recovered from Covid19 - she has had TB twice, as a child and when she had her first child. She will be 103 on the 17th of May. Well done!

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2020/05/06/...ce=parsely-api

Comment

FluTrackers.com
                          @FluTrackers
                          ?
                          12s
                          Some ideas on how to protect yourself at this link. Mask info, distancing, apartment living, gardening, some economic ideas.

We are with you.

The FluTrackers Team

#coronavirus

https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/personal-family-professional-emergency-preparedness

Comment

FluTrackers.com
                            @FluTrackers
                            ?
                            3m
                            I am not tweeting any counts today. It is too depressing. Our site is updated however. Click on LATEST POSTS or scroll down the front of the site and select the country/continent.

Dogs.

Chocolate.

Deep breathing.

Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                            X