The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

Few people know about the huge amount of work that went on in the background to ensure that Y2K was a non event.

Ask any programmer.

Comment

I live in the country, no electricity means no water flows from the well.

No electricity in most places means furnaces won't run, so whether there is no fuel or no power there is no heat which will cause collateral deaths in northern climates. People may gather in crowds in the few heated areas of town and spread the virus then die or stay home and die of exposure.

It would be foolish not to prepare for this possibility.
      "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

Originally posted by AnneZ
        Few people know about the huge amount of work that went on in the background to ensure that Y2K was a non event.

Ask any programmer.
        We actually had problems with our practice management/billing software on the day after Y2K.

I should have placed "false" in quotes. It was only a "false scare" because of the diligence of many programmers.

Comment

Well, all I know is that I am going to Shannon's house -- she's got all the herbal medicines, after all! -- and plenty of elderberry wine, I hope (if not, I can make do with margheritas ).

Last edited by sharon sanders; May 4, 2024, 10:38 AM.
          ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ROFLMBO, Theresa, you will be welcome as long as you:
            Bring food for 9 months for yourself and any that may come with you. All prep items become property of the group.
            You are willing to pitch in and do any duties assigned to you. This will not be a democracy but rather a benevolent dictatorship.
            Are willing to sleep on the floor. I advise bringing a small foam mattress. There are at least 11 people in line in front of you so all the beds are spoken for. Even floor space will be at a minimum as we will have 10 large grown dogs and heaven only knows how many puppies. My daughter raises champion boxers and the rest of us have large dogs.
            Will not leave the premises for any reason. If you do you will be assigned tent space and must stay there for a minimum of two weeks. Absolutely no contact will be allowed with those inside the house. I don't care if we are in the middle of an ice storm.
            Sign on the dotted line, please.

BTW, we are looking for a recreation leader and a good engineer, house and kitchen cleaner, and laundress. All other posts are filled.
            Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
            Thank you,
            Shannon Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
              BTW, we are looking for a recreation leader and a good engineer, house and kitchen cleaner, and laundress. All other posts are filled.
              I volunteer for recreation leader! Will we have room to play Twister with all those dogs laying around?

LMonty,
              Thanks for this thread. I have been reading diligently and it has given me lots to think about. Decisions, decisions....
              "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

I had a dream the other night that I died, of old age not BF, and friends and family are gathered at my wake. My children get up, one by one, to express what kind a person I had been in life. "That Mom, she was always prepared," was mentioned over and over.
                When they were younger, they would kind of giggle at the "absurdity" of my preparing for various possible emergencies and disasters......they no longer laugh. I believe they have some comfort in knowing that a safety net is there for them, and they now have some knowledge of the thinking and planning that preceeds preparedness. The problem is that a few other people know that that is my style of thinking, too. I am concerned with the "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon not only with people who know me but also with anyone or any group of people caught in desperate circumstances who is totally unprepared.
                Shannon was correct and wise in her previous post when she said, "I can't save everyone." I know that I can't either, but I can save a few.

Comment

Neat dream. Sounds like your children have learned from watching- from being taught. And that you know that. Therein is the blessing.

Comment

I can't fill any of those shoes, do you need a cerebralist?
                    http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Al, that is a given. You must have that ability before I would even consider your application. Hmmm, I do believe I am going to need a larger abode.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                      Thank you,
                      Shannon Bennett

Comment

Shannon - What is the test for that?

Comment

Send me a message through the ether and if I recieve it I will know.

cerebralist: one who accepts the theory of cerebralism.
                          n.1.(Philos.) The doctrine or theory that psychical phenomena are functions or products of the brain only.

Thank you,
                          Shannon Bennett

Comment

I actually think this is a great idea. A contract for those who "come over" to join you to shelter in place.

When someone says it to you, you just send them 2 copies of the contract. Ask them to sign both and send one back to you.

It needs work though but the basic concepts are there and it is an excellent starting point.

ROFLMBO, Theresa, you will be welcome as long as you:
                            Bring food for 9 months for yourself and any that may come with you. All prep items become property of the group.
                            You are willing to pitch in and do any duties assigned to you. This will not be a democracy but rather a benevolent dictatorship.
                            Are willing to sleep on the floor. I advise bringing a small foam mattress. There are at least 11 people in line in front of you so all the beds are spoken for. Even floor space will be at a minimum as we will have 10 large grown dogs and heaven only knows how many puppies. My daughter raises champion boxers and the rest of us have large dogs.
                            Will not leave the premises for any reason. If you do you will be assigned tent space and must stay there for a minimum of two weeks. Absolutely no contact will be allowed with those inside the house. I don't care if we are in the middle of an ice storm.

Comment

Goju, that post was only slightly tongue-in-cheek. I have given this a lot of serious thought. I am expecting family and friends to join us. The more people who can come together and work as a team, the greater the chance of success. You would have to have other specified criteria for who would join and they must agree to abide by all rules. This is what I have come up with so far.

All arguments will to be ended quickly and those who persist will have to participate in mediation.
                              Virtually every family that will be joining us practices a different religion. Intolerance of others religious belief will be dealt with quickly.
                              Everyone will join in the exercise program held twice a day. Even arthritic persons like myself. The first will be an hour of increasingly hard work-outs, the second, done in late afternoon, will be yoga or tai-chi.
                              All nasty, or tedious jobs will be done on a rotating basis. No one is going to have to pick up all the dog droppings all the time. Neither is anyone going to have to do only the laundry.
                              Each major task will have a child 'helper'. You are responsible for teaching that child either skills or duty. Skills will include cooking, cleaning, sitting in on mediation talks, etc,... Duty includes acceptance of chores that help the group, even when it means cleaning toilets.
                              Children will be educated during the duration for 4 hours a day. Reading, math, geography, history and French lessons are on the agenda.
                              Active playtime for children will be mid-afternoon lasting for 45 minutes.
                              Quiet time will be after the dishes are washed following dinner. Adults may do whatever they wish as long as it doesn't disturb others. Playing cards, knitting, embroidery, reading, wood working, art projects or, just listening to the radio will be encouraged. Sing-a-longs will be once a week.
                              Dh will read aloud every night at childrens bed-time. He has a wonderful reading voice, and I am certain adults will join the younger listeners. Sunday mornings will be personal reflective times instead of school. Play time will be longer on Sundays.
                              Jobs so far;
                              cook
                              laundry
                              pet care
                              teachers
                              fire tender
                              nurse
                              mediator
                              stock accountant This is a particularly important position. He/she would have to work with cook, laundry, pet care, ensuring we didn't run out of a key prep item early. This person would also be responsible for issuing each person their daily allotment of toilet paper. This may seem odd but we have a few terrible over-use offenders. I really do not want to be reduced to using leaves.
                              Morale officer
                              water officer
                              waste officer
                              security officer
                              everyone shares in clean-up

Thank you,
                              Shannon Bennett

Comment

ROFLMBO ... Even floor space will be at a minimum as we will have 10 large grown dogs and heaven only knows how many puppies. My daughter raises champion boxers and the rest of us have large dogs.
                                Hey -- I LOVE dogs -- actually, animals of all types, so I'd be cool with quarantining myself with a bunch of our canine friends.

Seriously though ... I'm glad you outlined your plans for "mini-quarantining" [below]. We've been talking about/planning a similar "mini-quarantine" for anyone who might be joining us late (supposedly, no one is going to, but it won't surprise me if one or two family members I know panic at the last minute and come running to us -- I've told them (several times) that there's absolutely no way they'll be allowed in in an attempt to get them to plan NOW, but we're also working up a contingency plan anyway -- will be really hard to say no if/when the time should come). No one will be allowed to leave our place, either...
                                Looking forward to those margheritas when it's all over....
                                ...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X