Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon-what to do about it

So Florida1,

It was YOU who removed my my post from that thread - the one that had my address and the map to my house! Now I get it! You were worried the world might move in! Thanks! (tongue firmly in cheek)

Comment

Oh - I have done it all......

At H5N1Experts.org I deleted an entire forum with all of the posts in it.

Luckily, there were only 20 threads in there. But Snowy had loaded that forum and he was not to about it.

He put a sign on the administrator door to keep me away.

AnneZ has caught me posting in duplicate. Why say it once when you can really emphasize something with 2 posts on the same thread that are identical?

And once Jeremy moved a thread and I moved it back because I did not check the log. Theresa42 called it the "dancing thread". Honest - we were not drinking. :o

They have let me back into the control panel now but there is a outside the door.

I think they are telling me something.
      Last edited by sharon sanders; October 8, 2006, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Hi Mrs Tina,

This is a very friendly forum where people don't seem to get goofy over grammer or spelling as they do in some other places.
        Welcome. I don't post here a lot because many of the discussions are over my head, but I enjoy reading them and learning as I go.

Deb
        "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
        "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Since this is confession time.

Once I put two new sub-forums in the wrong place

F1 was was very nice and asked if I had looked at the main page recently

The new sub forums were at the top of the main page :o

Some times I make new French Forums

But since I don't read French the forums some times get the wrong names

Fortunately I get a nice message for me to correct the names

At H5N1Experts.org I needed to know where the new forums should go so I tried some reading of the French mind because I was

Snowy is very patient and

So understanding was achieved

Life at FT and H5N1Experts.org is a
          Last edited by Sally Furniss; October 6, 2006, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prepdeb
            Hi Mrs Tina,

This is a very friendly forum where people don't seem to get goofy over grammer or spelling as they do in some other places.
            Welcome. I don't post here a lot because many of the discussions are over my head, but I enjoy reading them and learning as I go.

Deb
            If we got goofy over grammer or spelling we would have to ban Niman and Snowy Owl.

Comment

Good one Florida
              Hard for me to believe, but I am actually beginning to understand some of the more technical things posted. Not all of it or in great depth, but a little of the knowledge is rubbing off.
              "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
              "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Not to mention Shannon.
                :o :p
                Originally posted by Florida1
                If we got goofy over grammer or spelling we would have to ban Niman and Snowy Owl.
                Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                Thank you,
                Shannon Bennett

Comment

This thread is very disturbing to all of us. What is the right thing to do? Each of us will come up with a different answer depending on our own level of comfort. It is important for each of us to remember that what is right for one of us may not be for another for a host of reasons. Hopefully though, we can come together with some solid solutions for all of us to actively pursue.
                  Words of wisdom, Shannon. I value them.

Theres no "one size fits all answers" for any of this!
                  Upon this gifted age, in its dark hour,
                  Rains from the sky a meteoric shower
                  Of facts....They lie unquestioned, uncombined.
                  Wisdom enough to leech us of our ill
                  Is daily spun, but there exists no loom
                  To weave it into fabric..
                  Edna St. Vincent Millay "Huntsman, What Quarry"
                  All my posts to this forum are for fair use and educational purposes only.

Comment

I've tried to make my neighbors understand the need to prepare for a pandemic. I doubt that any of them have, yet when the pandemic hits, they will assume that I have prepared (which I have) and I expect them to ask me to help them. I cannot afford to take care of my children and grandchildren and my neighbors too. Who really can afford to buy for a neighborhood?

What worries me is that if I do not help these neighbors, what kind of life do I have afterwards? What if they die because I didn't help them? How does one cope with that kind of guilt? Do I become a pariah to myself and my neighbors because I locked the door? This is a big problem and a big issue. Do I shortchange my family to help people who weren't paying attention?

This is, I think, one of the largest social issues that we face during a pandemic.
                    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Comment

I have agonized over this and have now faced the problem head on. I cannot save everyone. If there was some way I could I would, that is one of the reasons I participate here at FT. Just as we value truth from everyone we deal with, so too will we have to tell the truth to ourselves. How much can you do? What is a realistic goal, not an idealistic one? Saving yourself and those you love is not a crime, it is how humans have survived from the beginning of time. Conversely, there is safety in numbers. The happy medium is going to come when you find a balance between helping yourself and helping others. You are going to have to come to terms with yourself for failing to do what you could have done, not what you would have liked to have done.
                      Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
                      Thank you,
                      Shannon Bennett

Comment

Very well put Shannon. My husband comes from a family of 10 and no one in his family has done any preparing but us. I have purchased some extra supply's for handing out because I know I could not handle watching family starve. However, I know it is not possible to maintain them all, all the way through. There may be a time when I will have to say, I have done all I can do. Your on your own. I hope I never have too.

Comment

Another perspective. Maybe prepping and getting things ready for one's family IS being that good neighbor. A well-prepared community will have members who have prepared. And as they prepare, information can get passed. Members in the community may have different roles regarding that information and the best ways to get it to everyone in the community. But everyone contributes- just in different ways. What an example to the community- to demonstrate responsibility and accountability for oneself and one's family- by preparing for one's family. Keep in mind- we can plant seeds. Are we then to exhaust ourselves watching for the seeds to sprout- or do we have faith in our work- and continue planting in the next spot- and the next. There is so much collective power here.

Comment

IMO, one of the biggest problems with prepping is that most people have not thought through this issue. The offical position of the Govt is to store two weeks worth of food and water and most everybody on this forum are doing at least that much with many preppers preparing for a notably longer tme, in some cases much, much longer.

However, think of the implications. Having two weeks of food stored up makes sense - who wants to or even should be running down to the 7-11 for more chips with PBF raging. But water? Why would there be no water? If there is no water there is probably no electricity. If there is no electricity there is no heat (even natural gas or oil heating requires electricity).

Traditionally, influenzas typically happen between November and April. Now you have the vast, the-govt-will-save-me, unprepared masses with no food, water, electricity, or heat for extended periods of time.

Having to go without two-ply Charmin for a few weeks or even a few months is one thing but being without food, water, electricity, and heat for any more than a day or two time is a whole different ball game. The longer that time is the stronger the "I'm coming to your house" phenomenon will be.

BTW, "The truth shall set you free." is one of the most improperly quoted and incorrect sayings that people commonly use.

Comment

When they say "I'm coming to you"... (they always say it with a slight humorus tone to it)

I say (quite seriously) "why would you want to put my family at risk?, we barely have enough for us and you may bring the virus with you.... why would you want to do that to my kids?"

That ends that.

Comment

One of the greatest obstacles to getting people to prep now is the memory of the whole false Y2K scare just a few years ago.

Lots of people who took that seriously now refuse to take prepping for a pandemic seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X