X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sri Lanka Leptospirosis 2015

2014 thread: https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum/...ospirosis-2014

Updated to Jan 30th.
    The Epidemiology Unit was established in 1959 with assistance from World Health Organization (WHO) to strengthen surveillance of communicable diseases. Initially, the unit functioned with a WHO consultant and a national counterpart, who, after further training in epidemiology, was appointed in 1961, as the Epidemiologist of the Department of Health Services.

January: 379 cases

The Ministry no longer reports fatalities, but for the first 15 weeks of 2012 a cfr of 1.6% was established. This gives rise to an estimated 6 fatalities so far in 2015.

Comparison to Previous years:
    237 cases to Feb 5th 2014.
    145 cases to Jan 29th 2013.
    200 cases, 2 fatalities to Feb 2nd 2012.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Mounting cases set off rat fever alarm in Sri Lanka

By Kasun Warakapitiya

With 614 cases of rat fever reported, health officials are warning of a surge in Anuradhapura, Kalutara, Galle, Kurunegala and Moneragala, where paddy farmers are at risk of contracting the bacterial disease.

Cases are also being reported from the Ratnapura gem mines.

The highest outbreak, 71 cases, is in Anuradhapura, Health Ministry Consultant Epidemiologist Dr. Jagath Amarasekara said. There were 24 cases there last year.

Rat fever, or leptospirosis, can be fatal and is often found in water sources contaminated by rodent urine.

In the countryside, more than 70 per cent of cases are reported from areas of paddy cultivation.

With 614 cases of rat fever reported, health officials are warning of a surge in Anuradhapura, Kalutara, Galle, Kurunegala and Moneragala, where paddy farmers
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Updated to Feb 27th.
      http://www.epid.gov.lk/web/index.php...d=448&lang=en#

January: 469 cases
      February: 156

Total: 625

The Ministry no longer reports fatalities, but for the first 15 weeks of 2012 a cfr of 1.6% was established. This gives rise to an estimated 10 fatalities so far in 2015.

379 cases to Feb 24th 2014.
      427 cases to Feb 28th 2013.
      402 cases, 5 fatalities to Feb 29th 2012.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Updated to Mar 6th.

January: 470 cases
        February: 226

Total: 696

The Ministry no longer reports fatalities, but for the first 15 weeks of 2012 a cfr of 1.6% was established. This gives rise to an estimated 11 fatalities so far in 2015.

449 cases to Mar 6th 2014.
        541 cases to Mar 7th 2013.
        512 cases, 7 fatalities to Mar 16th 2012.
        1,220 cases, 11 fatal to Mar 12th 2011.

Comment

Fevers in a rat-race; Rat Fever scurries through Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara (Watch Report)

Mar 18, 2015 Lahiru Fernando Local, News Ticker 0

The Epidemiology Unit of the Ministry of Health says that 800 persons with Rat Fever were identified during the last few months.

Director of the Unit Dr. Paba Palihawadana says that Colombo, Gamapha and Kalutara districts of the Western Province have been identified as districts where Rat Fever is spreading.

Dr. Palihawadana further explained the spreading process of the contagious disease. He stated that the fever spreads with a bacteria emanated from the urine of rats.

"Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
          -Nelson Mandela

Comment

Updated to Mar 20th.

February: 252
            March: 176

Total: 898

The Ministry no longer reports fatalities, but for the first 15 weeks of 2012 a cfr of 1.6% was established. This gives rise to an estimated 14 fatalities so far in 2015.

563 cases to Mar 21st 2014.
            858 cases to Mar 21st 2013.
            512 cases, 7 fatalities to Mar 16th 2012.
            1,220 cases, 11 fatal to Mar 12th 2011.

Comment

Updated to April 10th.

February: 254
              March: 357
              April: 54

Total: 1,135

The Ministry no longer reports fatalities, but for the first 15 weeks of 2012 a cfr of 1.6% was established. This gives rise to an estimated 18 fatalities so far in 2015.

690 cases to Apr 7th 2014.
              1,253 cases to Apr 10th 2013.
              694 cases, 12 fatalities to Apr 6th 2012.
              2,294 cases, 24 fatal to Apr 1st 2011.

Comment

Working...
              X