• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
2 December 2010 Last updated at 16:05 ET

Suspected norovirus at Cardiff's Park Plaza hotel

Health officers are investigating a suspected outbreak of the winter sickness bug at a city hotel.

It is thought the norovirus was brought into the ballroom of the Park Plaza in Cardiff by a guest last week.

A number of guests attending functions in the ballroom also are believed to have contracted the virus.

The hotel said the affected area had been "sanitised and quarantined", eradicating "any potential further risk".

"The hotel only became aware of the spread on Monday morning when we were contacted by individuals who had fallen ill over the weekend," the hotel said in a statement.

Read more:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-11905848
 
UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Hotel guests hit by Norovirus bug

Published Date: 07 December 2010

<!-- google_ad_section_start --><!-- Article Start -->
HEALTH officials have been called into two Blackpool hotels after guests were struck down by the deadly Norovirus.

Sixteen guests at The Lyndene Hotel on South Promenade have had confirmed cases of the sickness bug, as have patients at Blackpool Victoria Hospital and a Blackpool nursing home.

Patients have been kept in isolation at the Whinney Heys Road site, while five other health facilities have also reported cases.

Another Promenade hotel, which has not been named, has also had cases investigated after two guests presented with symptoms...

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoolnews/Hotel-guests-hit-by-Norovirus.6652500.jp
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

8 December 2010 Last updated at 11:50 ET

Liverpool school closes in sickness bug outbreak

A Liverpool school is closing for two days after more than a quarter of its pupils fell ill with a sickness bug.

About 55 out of the 209 pupils at Banks Road Primary School in Garston are suffering from the virus, thought to be either norovirus, rotavirus or both.

A spokeswoman for the school said it was closing for "infection control".

A Liverpool council spokesman said more pupils were sent home throughout the day and the premises would be given a deep clean before re-opening on Monday.

[...]
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-11950764
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Staffordshire

Thursday, December 09, 2010, 09:20

999 ambulance calls rise by 10% amid surge in cold weather accidents

Excerpt:

At UHNS on Monday, 280 people used A&E. A spokesman said: "We are busy but it's not beyond what we would expect at this time of year.

There's a difference in the people who are coming in. They are sicker than normal and that's down to the weather and more people need admission.

"We've had a few breaks, trips and falls but also medical conditions such as respiratory problems, chest infections, flare up of chronic conditions, pneumonia, and cardiac problems."

The hospital is also coping with an outbreak of winter vomiting bug norovirus. Four wards are affected.

Patients on those wards will not be transferred to community homes or other wards, but are allowed home.

Leighton Hospital, in Crewe, is affected by the same bug. Last week, 10 wards were affected by the infection.

North West Ambulance Service has also seen an increase in calls. In the week of November 29, there was a six per cent increase, compared with the two weeks previously, to 7,539 call outs.

Full text:
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...old-grips/article-2988277-detail/article.html
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

HPA warns of increasing norovirus activity

9 December 2010

Since the beginning of November the Health Protection Agency (HPA) has recorded 43 outbreaks of norovirus in hospitals of which 39 have led to ward closures. This is almost 50 per cent more than the number recorded in October.
...

John Harris, a HPA epidemiologist specialising in norovirus said: "Data from the HPA hospital norovirus reporting system shows the number of outbreaks reported in hospitals over the past month have increased by 50 per cent over the previous month. Laboratory reports of norovirus have doubled in November compared to October which means that the norovirus season is now well under way. Hospital outbreak reporting is a voluntary system and aims to provide a snap shot of activity within the NHS. This is a useful tool for health care professionals to understand what is happening both nationally and within their region.

"Norovirus comes on fairly suddenly, with little warning and is highly contagious. Anyone who thinks they may have it should not to go to their doctor's surgery or A&E as this could spread the illness to vulnerable people and healthcare workers. This is particularly important in hospitals as norovirus outbreaks can lead to the ward closures and severe disruption to hospital services."...

Full text:
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1287146226843?p=1259152466069
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Friday, December 10, 2010, 09:20

Don't breach visiting hours, hospital warns

HOSPITAL managers are urging residents not to put patients at risk by breaching visiting restrictions.

Four wards last night remained closed at the [URL="http://www.flutrackers.com/topics/place/universityhospitalofnorthstaffordshire"]University Hospital of North Staffordshire[/URL] due to an outbreak of norovirus.
Hospital staff say the winter vomiting bug has been brought into the hospital from the community.

Now they are urging people to stay away from the wards ? whether visiting or attending outpatient appointments ? if they have suffered sickness and diarrhoea in the past 48 hours...

Read more:
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...tal-warns/article-2992600-detail/article.html
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Officials have issued a health warning as norovirus outbreaks in hospitals have shot up 50 per cent in a month.

The latest figures come as flu cases are starting to rise, including outbreaks in schools, and reports of swine flu in some areas.

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) said the norovirus season was ?well underway? with 43 outbreaks in hospitals, of which 39 have led to ward closures.

...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...aks-increase-50-cent-month.html#ixzz17kNZHU3Q
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Patients at Aberdeen hospital hit by sickness bug
Three wards affected by norovirus

By Tim Sculthorpepolitical reporter

Published: 11/12/2010


Excerpt:


Three of the wards at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary currently have about a dozen patients with the bug and wards are partially closed to control the norovirus.

 
Last edited:
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11



Visiting restrictions introduced as George Eliot Hospital battles sickness bug

Dec 11 2010 by Warren Manger, Coventry Telegraph​

VISITING is restricted on two wards at Nuneton?s George Eliot Hospital this weekend due to a sickness bug.​

There will be no afternoon visiting on Felix Holt or Melly wards. One visitor per bed will be allowed from 7-8pm.​

 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Norovirus on the move across north west

3:09pm Tuesday 14th December 2010

WINTER vomiting ?norovirus? is starting to spread across the North West, the Health Protection Agency has confirmed.

Manchester, Salford, Western Cheshire and Wirral are the current hotpsots where the shortlived but highly contagious bug is being reported in higher numbers than this time last year...

http://www.messengernewspapers.co.uk/news/8737009.Winter_vomiting_virus_now_spreading/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Pupils saved from norovirus misery

7:00am Tuesday 14th December 2010
By Matthew Edwards ?

A SECONDARY school has re-opened its doors a week after staff were struck down with norovirus.

Churchfields School, in Salcombe Grove, was open again to pupils yesterday after it was forced to close when 24 members of staff were absent.

Headteacher Stephen Flavin was away from school for part of the week on a school exchange programme to France, but said he had also been hit by the virus.

?We are definitely over the worst of it, it is not a nice thing,? he said.

More...
http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8735488.Bug_hit_school_is_open_once_more/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Grandmother, 84, with pneumonia left in hospital corridor for 25 HOURS on one of the decade's coldest nights

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:03 PM on 14th December 2010

An 84-year-old grandmother with pneumonia was left for 25 hours in a hospital corridor on one of the coldest nights of the decade.

With outside temperatures dropping as low as minus 10 doctors at University Hospital of North Staffordshire were forced to hand out extra blankets.

Despite this Mary Bowers, who was suffering from a chest infection, was kept in a 'cold and draughty' corridor on a trolley from 5pm on Monday December 6 to 6.30pm the next day.

Hospital officials at the under-fire facility - which is under investigation following higher than average patient deaths - have now issued a full apology to the mother of eight.

They blamed the long wait on increased admissions, staff sickness, and the Norovirus sickness bug shutting down wards.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...URS-decades-coldest-nights.html#ixzz188XnjIZV
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Hospital's 'stay away' plea after norovirus cases

By Emily Pearce - Wednesday, December 15, 2010

PEOPLE are being advised to keep away from St Mary's Hospital, after a number of suspected norovirus cases were identified this week.

Several patients have developed symptoms associated with norovirus ? otherwise known as viral gastroenteritis or the winter vomiting bug ? and have now been isolated to reduce the risk of the infection spreading.

Affected areas in the hospital have been closed to new patients and visits to those areas have been limited to essential visits only.

Visiting times throughout the rest of the hospital remain restricted to 2pm to 3pm, and 7pm to 8pm.

More...
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/hospitals-stay-away-plea-after-norovirus-cases-36314.aspx
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Norovirus closes wards at Princess Royal Hospital, Farnborough

Kate Nelson, Reporter Thursday, 16 December, 2010
11:09 AM

Bexley residents are being urged to make only ?essential? visits to the Princess Royal in Farnborough after the sickness and diarrhoea bug erupted in the last few days.

It means that after Sidcup?s Queen Mary?s A&E closed ?temporarily? last month, more than a million people in the boroughs of Bexley, Bromley, and Greenwich will have just one virus-free emergency unit between them - the Queen Elizabeth Hospital at Woolwich.

More than 50 cases of the highly contagious norovirus, which is transferred through food or person to person contact, have been reported and on Tuesday the general medical wards were closed to new admissions in a bid to curb the infection.

More...
http://www.bexleytimes.co.uk/news/n..._princess_royal_hospital_farnborough_1_754902
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Visitors banned from ward hit by norovirus

Dec 20 2010 By Madeleine Brindley, WalesOnline


VISITORS will be banned from entering a surgical ward because of an outbreak of norovirus.​

Infection control staff have introduced the ban on visiting in a bid to prevent the highly-infectious virus from spreading throughout Morriston Hospital, in Swansea.

Six patients being cared for on ward C have been diagnosed with norovirus, which causes diarrhoea and vomiting.​

Visitors will only be allowed onto the ward ? and others affected by the virus in the future ? in exceptional circumstances by prior arrangement with ward staff.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[if (typeof dartOrd == 'undefined') dartOrd=Math.random()*10000000000000000000;if (typeof tm.zones == 'undefined') {tm.zones = "";}document.write('<scr' + 'ipt type="text/javascript" ' + 'src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/icwales2.5293/' + 'article_mpu;slot=article%5Fmpu;sect=wales%2Dnews;templ=page;cat=News;reg=Wales;st=r2;oid=27857976;sz=300x250;gs_cat='+gs_channels+'' + tm.zones + ';tile=4' + ';' + (typeof segQS != "undefined" ? segQS:"" ) + ';ord=' + dartOrd + '?"><\/scr' + 'ipt>'); //]]></SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://ad.uk.doubleclick.net/adj/icwales2.5293/article_mpu;slot=article%5Fmpu;sect=wales%2Dnews;templ=page;cat=News;reg=Wales;st=r2;oid=27857976;sz=300x250;gs_cat=yorkshire_building_society;zone=news;zone1=wales%2Dnews;tile=4;rsi=J08779_10261;rsi=J08779_10266;;ord=2555571550327932400?"></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>​


Wards will also be closed to new admissions in the event of a norovirus outbreak.​


 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Sunderland hospitals hit by bug

By Julie Wilson
Published on Mon Dec 20 12:38:31 GMT 2010

DOZENS of patients and hospital staff in Sunderland have suffered from the winter vomiting bug.

The norovirus has affected 69 patients and 36 employees since November 1 at City Hospitals Sunderland, which runs Sunderland Royal Hospital and the Eye Infirmary.

Bosses say that no wards have had to be closed to patients ? although admissions to individual bays have been affected because of ?viral sanctions?.

The figures come as experts from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) issued advice to the general public, amid increasing reports of winter vomiting illness.

More...
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/sunderland_hospitals_hit_by_bug_1_2870883
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Cases of norovirus increasing in North Yorkshire and the Humber

Published on Tue Dec 21 15:40:12 GMT 2010

<!--PSTYLE=WINT Web Intro-->
Public health experts are aware of an increase in the number of suspected norovirus cases across North Yorkshire and the Humber in recent weeks. In the lead up to Christmas, North Yorkshire and the Humber Health Protection Unit (HPU) is urging anyone with symptoms to stay at home to avoid spreading the virus to other people, particularly vulnerable groups in our communities.

More...
http://www.beverleyguardian.co.uk/n...g_in_north_yorkshire_and_the_humber_1_2874211
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

NHS Enfield issues norovirus warning to residents

7:10am Wednesday 22nd December 2010
By Tristan Kirk


HEALTH officials are warning Enfield residents to look out for symptoms of the winter vomiting bug.

Cases of the virus, known as Norovirus, tend to spike during the winter period, and if not contained can spread rapidly through hospitals, community centres, and schools.

The virus starts with feelings of nausea, and symptoms include vomiting and diarrhoea which can last anywhere between 12 and 60 hours.

Read more:
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/whereilive/northwest/enfield/8750355.print/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Sickness forces 10 wards to shut down at Southampton General Hospital

3:10pm Wednesday 22nd December 2010
By Melanie Adams ?

HOSPITAL bosses in Southampton have been forced to close ten wards due to an outbreak of seasonal sickness.

Southampton General Hospital has temporarily closed the wards to new admissions after 70 patients were struck down with diarrhoea and vomiting.

More...
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/875...rds_to_shut_down/?action=complain&cid=9015378
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2010-11

Gastric flu outbreak spreads in Britain

Britain is in the grip of a gastric flu outbreak which has spread from hospitals in Scotland to the south coast, health chiefs said today.

Levels of the virus, which has already affected 12 hospitals in Scotland, are higher than those recorded in the past, said the Public Health Laboratory Service.

The number of people struck down with the viral infection on hospital wards was today expected to rise amid reports of the bug in Manchester, Hertfordshire, Sussex, Dorset and Cornwall. There was also a similar case in Birmingham earlier this month.

So far, Glasgow's Victoria Infirmary has been worst hit with 283 patients and staff hit by the illness.

It has forced emergency admissions to the hospital to be diverted to the city's Southern General Hospital until further notice.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...u-outbreak-spreads-Britain.html#ixzz18yN8LTCr
 
Back
Top