Niko
Editor, Senior Moderator
Health execs probe dengue outbreak in Laguna
By Marlon Ramos
Inquirer
Last updated 04:36pm (Mla time) 11/07/2006
CABUYAO, Laguna -- Provincial and national health officials have dispatched a team to a relocation site to check on the reported dengue outbreak in the area on Tuesday.
In a mobile phone interview with the Inquirer, Dr. Alsaneo Lagos, provincial health officer, said he has deployed a team of epidemiological experts to confirm reports that the number of deaths caused by dengue has risen to an alarming level at the Southville Housing Project here.
Lagos said the results of their examination will be known later in the day.
Residents said at least 10 Southville residents have died of dengue over the last two months.
Lagos said the provincial health office had also received reports that two children, aged 3 and 5, from the housing area had died of dengue in Mandaluyong City a few days ago.
?These are still unconfirmed reports. That?s why we?re coming over to the place to find out if these are true,? Lagos told the Inquirer.
He said they will visit the relatives of the supposed victims and check for possible breeding grounds of mosquitoes in the area.
Lagos admitted that the number of reported dengue cases in the province has increased from last year.
Located within the barangays (villages) of Niugan, Marinig and Banaybanay in Cabuyao, the 53-hectare Southville relocation site houses over 7, 500 families from Makati City, Manila and nearby Laguna towns, who have been displaced by the Northrail-Southrail Linkage Project.
Since their relocation to the area last year, most of the Southville residents have been without electricity and potable water. Residents have also reported deaths supposedly from typhoid fever.
Just a few months ago, Vice President and housing czar Noli de Castro ordered the closure of a garbage dump near the relocation site, which many residents said was the cause of skin diseases and water-borne ailments in the area.
http://globalnation.inq7.net/news/news/view_article.php?article_id=31087
By Marlon Ramos
Inquirer
Last updated 04:36pm (Mla time) 11/07/2006
CABUYAO, Laguna -- Provincial and national health officials have dispatched a team to a relocation site to check on the reported dengue outbreak in the area on Tuesday.
In a mobile phone interview with the Inquirer, Dr. Alsaneo Lagos, provincial health officer, said he has deployed a team of epidemiological experts to confirm reports that the number of deaths caused by dengue has risen to an alarming level at the Southville Housing Project here.
Lagos said the results of their examination will be known later in the day.
Residents said at least 10 Southville residents have died of dengue over the last two months.
Lagos said the provincial health office had also received reports that two children, aged 3 and 5, from the housing area had died of dengue in Mandaluyong City a few days ago.
?These are still unconfirmed reports. That?s why we?re coming over to the place to find out if these are true,? Lagos told the Inquirer.
He said they will visit the relatives of the supposed victims and check for possible breeding grounds of mosquitoes in the area.
Lagos admitted that the number of reported dengue cases in the province has increased from last year.
Located within the barangays (villages) of Niugan, Marinig and Banaybanay in Cabuyao, the 53-hectare Southville relocation site houses over 7, 500 families from Makati City, Manila and nearby Laguna towns, who have been displaced by the Northrail-Southrail Linkage Project.
Since their relocation to the area last year, most of the Southville residents have been without electricity and potable water. Residents have also reported deaths supposedly from typhoid fever.
Just a few months ago, Vice President and housing czar Noli de Castro ordered the closure of a garbage dump near the relocation site, which many residents said was the cause of skin diseases and water-borne ailments in the area.
http://globalnation.inq7.net/news/news/view_article.php?article_id=31087