Gert van der Hoek
In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Health authorities are yet to confirm what is believed to be the first coronavirus case in Luxembourg. A press conference will take place at 9 pm later tonight.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
[h=3]Situation update (15.03.2020):
59 confirmed cases[/h] [h=3]1 death[/h]
The Luxembourg authorities published on Sunday evening the latest assessment of coronavirus infections.
The number of positive coronavirus cases was revised up Monday morning: the number of infected rose to 81, against 77 the previous evening.
Already on Sunday evening, the Minister of Health had declared that the number of proven cases would further increase in Luxembourg, given the "difficult situation" experienced by neighboring countries like France or Belgium. All the latest info in our live .
The number of deaths remains stable: we deplore the death of a 94-year-old patient.
On Friday, the number of confirmed cases climbed from 335 to 484 - though the initial government information said 618. The number of deaths remain at four.
On Saturday midday, the government confirmed that 670 people have tested positive for the coronavirus in Luxembourg. The number of deaths also increased from 5 to 8.
On Friday, the number of confirmed cases climbed from 335 to 484 - though the initial government information said 618, a number which was later revealed to be incorrect. The initial number of coronavirus-related deaths on Friday remained at four, but during a press conference in the afternoon Prime Minister Xavier Bettel received information of a fifth death, with a sixth possible coronavirus death to be confirmed.
In a mid morning update, the government has confirmed a total of 798 cases of coronavirus infection in Luxembourg.
There have been no further deaths recorded.
The new total shows an increase of 128 on yesterday's figures.
The authorities have made several appeals this week asking everyone to "stay at home".
A guideline that has not been followed everywhere.
Deputy Prime Minister Fran?ois Bausch confirmed this week that he would call on army personnel to enforce containment measures "if necessary"."
According to the latest information released by the Ministry of Health on Tuesday 24 March, Luxembourg now has 1,099 confirmed infections.
This is a rise of 224 since Monday evening's data was released. There has been no increase in the number of deaths.
Of the eight deceased prior to today's update, four were confirmed to be over 80 years old and had previous medical conditions.
This is the largest single-day increase we have seen to date, as you can see in the graph below. However, that does not mean that the strategy the government has adopted is not working. The article linked above the graph may also be of interest, and goes into a bit more detail on how to view these statistics.
Ninth coronavirus death confirmed as cases top 1,400
Number of cases increases more than four-fold within a week
Luxembourg reported its ninth coronavirus-linked death on Thursday, with another 120 new cases confirmed bringing the total up to 1,453.
The number of fatal outcomes of Covid-19, the respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus, had been stable for five days before the health ministry confirmed the ninth death.
There were no details about the age of the deceased. Health minister Paulette Lenert had said during a press conference on Wednesday that so far only elderly patients had died.
A ministry spokeswoman said that Lenert would give more details on the number of patients hospitalised on Friday. This stood at 143 on Wednesday including 21 people in intensive care.
The total number of cases has increased more than four-fold in the span of a week, from 335 cases on 19 March to 1,453 on Thursday.
More pain to come, Bettel says, as deaths climb to 18
1,831 people have now been infected with the deadly COVID-19 virus
Coronavirus claims one more life, 38 new cases
Total of 31 patients are now in intensive care in Luxembourg
One more person died in Luxembourg from the coronavirus on Monday, according to the latest government figures.
The number of people testing positive for the virus increased by 38, bringing the total number of cases to 1,988. It was the lowest daily increase since March 16.
In total 200 people have now been admitted to hospital, with 31 of those placed in intensive care, health minister Paulette Lenert said in a press conference on Monday.
Eleven people died in hospital, 10 people in a retirement or care home and one person died at home, Lenert said.
Retirement home staff are now obliged to stop working if they show any signs of the virus – a rule which was previously only a recommendation.
A total of 330 cross-border healthcare workers and around 20 family members have moved in to hotels in Luxembourg. The government previously asked hotels with empty rooms due to cancellations to allow healthcare staff having to commute to stay there
Corona shows no sign of abating, more lockdown looms
Luxembourg is now nearing its third weekend in confinement, 30 have died
The corona pandemic showed no letup on Friday as Luxembourg headed into its third weekend under lockdown, with parents warned they might have to school their children at home for a protracted period of time to avoid the deadly virus from spreading further.
The country reported another 168 new infections with the virus, which is is sparking worldwide fears hospitals will not be able to cope with the influx of patients affected by the respiratory infection it causes, and which has brought public life to a halt throughout Europe and the US.
Corona cases rise to 2,729 in Luxembourg
The number of death remains stable at 31 on Saturday
Sunday 5 April COVID-19 Update for Luxembourg: 2,804 COVID-19 Cases, 36 Deaths