NEW: Living facility quarantined after Norovirus outbreak
Kelly Pakula
Article Last Updated:12/11/2006 11:31:25 AM PST
BELMONT ? An independent living facility is under lockdown today after more than half of its residents were stricken with the Norovirus.
About 80 of the 150 residents at Bonnie Brae Terrace, located at 2400 Carlmont Drive, contracted the Norovirus last week. The San Mateo County Health Department was contacted by the facility Tuesday after a number of its residents reported suffering from diarrhea and nausea, Health Department spokeswoman Beverly Thames said.
According to Thames, officials from the Health Department visited the assisted living community on Wednesday and on Friday, a quarantine was issued.
Bonnie Brae residents are currently confined to their bedroom and visitors are not allowed, said Thames. As well, the dining room at the facility was closed and all social activities have been canceled.
Thames said 22 people have already recovered from the virus, which causes flu-like symptoms and is easily transmitted from one person to another.
"The virus is so easily transmitted from person to person," Thames said. "You can get it by touching something and then touching your mouth."
Thames said the virus is found in stool and vomit. It can be fatal, particularly for individuals already suffering from some type of health ailment.
Thames said the facility will remain on lockdown until 72 hours after the last case is reported. Norovirus symptoms usually last one-to-two days.
An employee at the facility declined to comment about the outbreak.
Kelly Pakula
Article Last Updated:12/11/2006 11:31:25 AM PST
BELMONT ? An independent living facility is under lockdown today after more than half of its residents were stricken with the Norovirus.
About 80 of the 150 residents at Bonnie Brae Terrace, located at 2400 Carlmont Drive, contracted the Norovirus last week. The San Mateo County Health Department was contacted by the facility Tuesday after a number of its residents reported suffering from diarrhea and nausea, Health Department spokeswoman Beverly Thames said.
According to Thames, officials from the Health Department visited the assisted living community on Wednesday and on Friday, a quarantine was issued.
Bonnie Brae residents are currently confined to their bedroom and visitors are not allowed, said Thames. As well, the dining room at the facility was closed and all social activities have been canceled.
Thames said 22 people have already recovered from the virus, which causes flu-like symptoms and is easily transmitted from one person to another.
"The virus is so easily transmitted from person to person," Thames said. "You can get it by touching something and then touching your mouth."
Thames said the virus is found in stool and vomit. It can be fatal, particularly for individuals already suffering from some type of health ailment.
Thames said the facility will remain on lockdown until 72 hours after the last case is reported. Norovirus symptoms usually last one-to-two days.
An employee at the facility declined to comment about the outbreak.