• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Living facility quarantined after Norovirus outbreak

hawkeye

Well-known member
NEW: Living facility quarantined after Norovirus outbreak
Kelly Pakula
Article Last Updated:12/11/2006 11:31:25 AM PST

BELMONT ? An independent living facility is under lockdown today after more than half of its residents were stricken with the Norovirus.

About 80 of the 150 residents at Bonnie Brae Terrace, located at 2400 Carlmont Drive, contracted the Norovirus last week. The San Mateo County Health Department was contacted by the facility Tuesday after a number of its residents reported suffering from diarrhea and nausea, Health Department spokeswoman Beverly Thames said.

According to Thames, officials from the Health Department visited the assisted living community on Wednesday and on Friday, a quarantine was issued.

Bonnie Brae residents are currently confined to their bedroom and visitors are not allowed, said Thames. As well, the dining room at the facility was closed and all social activities have been canceled.

Thames said 22 people have already recovered from the virus, which causes flu-like symptoms and is easily transmitted from one person to another.

"The virus is so easily transmitted from person to person," Thames said. "You can get it by touching something and then touching your mouth."

Thames said the virus is found in stool and vomit. It can be fatal, particularly for individuals already suffering from some type of health ailment.

Thames said the facility will remain on lockdown until 72 hours after the last case is reported. Norovirus symptoms usually last one-to-two days.

An employee at the facility declined to comment about the outbreak.
 
Back
Top