• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

HONG KONG, Gov Rpts - SAR, INFLUENZA-LIKE ILLNESS AND ARI UPDATE(S)-MARCH 23+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: _|HONG KONG, Gov Rpts - SAR, INFLUENZA-LIKE ILLNESS AND ARI UPDATE(S)|_|MARCH 23+|

Re: _|HONG KONG, Gov Rpts - SAR, INFLUENZA-LIKE ILLNESS AND ARI UPDATE(S)|_|MARCH 23+|

Kwong Wah Hospital response to a paediatric case

August 20 2008, 14.36.01

The following is issued on behalf of the Hospital Authority:

In response to media enquiries on the paediatric case (a 3-year-old boy) announced by the Centre for Health Protection (CHP) today (20 August), the spokesperson of Kwong Wah Hospital (KWH) gave the following reply:

The 3-year-old boy was admitted via Accident and Emergency Department at around 4pm on 19 August.

He presented with symptoms of upper respiratory infection, cough, fever and vomiting 2 days before admission.

He was in comatose on arrival and was transferred to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) soon after admission.

He developed symptom of shock after admission. His condition improved with treatment.

A series of laboratory test has been carried out for the patient, including Influenza A and enterovirus.

Preliminary result for Influenza A is negative while other results are pending.

He is still hospitalized in PICU in critical condition.

The hospital will closely monitor the patient and provide appropriate management.

The case has been reported to the Hospital Authority and the Centre for Health Protection for necessary follow-up.
-
http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/200808/20/P200808200250.htm
--------
 
Re: _|HONG KONG, Gov Rpts - SAR, INFLUENZA-LIKE ILLNESS AND ARI UPDATE(S)|_|MARCH 23+|

Re: _|HONG KONG, Gov Rpts - SAR, INFLUENZA-LIKE ILLNESS AND ARI UPDATE(S)|_|MARCH 23+|

Source: http://media-newswire.com/release_1071384.html

Media-Newswire.com) - A spokesman for the Centre for Health Protection ( CHP ) of the Department of Health said that a report involving a three-year-old boy was received today ( August 20 ) through the paediatric surveillance programme set up by the CHP with private and public hospitals.

The programme started earlier this year to monitor the trend of complications due to influenza-like illnesses and enterovirus infection in children. Since its establishment in mid-March this year, the programme has recorded 51 cases with two to 27 cases received per month.

The new report was a boy living in Mong Kok who developed fever and cough on August 17. His condition deteriorated on August 19 and he was admitted to Kwong Wah Hospital ( KWH ) on the same day. He developed convulsions after admission and the clinical picture suggested sepsis and encephalopathy. He is now in critical condition. Laboratory tests are pending.

The boy had no recent travel history and his family members did not have similar symptoms. The kindergarten that the child attended did not report similar illnesses in other children.

CHP's investigation on this case is on-going.

Meanwhile, the seven-year-old girl admitted to Prince of Wales Hospital ( PWH ) on August 8 with symptoms of encephalitis is still under intensive treatment. She is in critical condition.

Tests conducted on the cerebrospinal fluid, blood and respiratory specimens taken from the girl have so far yielded negative results. Further investigations are ongoing.


The coroner's investigation into the deaths of the three-year-old girl and the nine-year-old girl who passed away in KWH and PWH on August 11 and 13 respectively is also on-going.

The spokesman said a baseline average of some 50 public hospital admissions per year among children aged 12 and below were related to myocarditis, encephalitis or encephalopathy.

"CHP expects to find, as a baseline, a certain number of these cases of sporadic nature throughout the year.


"CHP will continue to monitor the occurrence of these cases to detect any abnormal increase or clustering," the spokesman said.

The spokesman said although definitive identification of a causative organism may not be possible in many cases of encephalitis and myocarditis based on literature, CHP was committed to conducting intensive tests to determine possible etiologic agents in these cases.

He reminded parents to monitor their children's personal hygiene.

"If their children develop persistent high fever, uncontrollable vomiting, fits or convulsions, they should take them to doctors immediately as the symptoms may be signs of viral infections," the spokesman said.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top