• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

First swine flu case confirmed - South Canterbury

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
First swine flu case confirmed
By EMMA BAILEY - The Timaru Herald Last updated 05:00 18/06/2010SharePrint Text Size 0 commentsRelevant offers
A 16-year-old South Canterbury girl has the first confirmed case of swine flu this winter, with a wave of the illness predicted in the region.

Last year 16 people were admitted to Timaru Hospital with influenza-like illness. Two were confirmed as having H1N1 or swine flu. One of those patients was admitted to the intensive care unit and later died.

The case confirmed yesterday was the first in South Canterbury so far this winter, acting South Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, Dr Rachel Eyre, said. The girl had visited her GP with flu symptoms and laboratory testing confirmed swine flu.

"The case is being managed appropriately by the GP, using Tamiflu, and the teenager is recovering at home," she said.

"A second wave of swine flu has been anticipated and the health sector has plans in place to respond appropriately. I cannot predict how many cases we will get this winter, or whether it will reach the same level as last year."

Nationally this winter flu season there have been 19 confirmed cases of swine flu, including one admitted to an intensive care unit.

Dr Eyre said vaccination gave the best protection. Flu shots were still available from GPs and were free for people aged 65 and over, pregnant women, people with long-term health conditions, and the very overweight.

In South Canterbury, 12,940 (24 per cent) of people had received a flu shot up to April 30 this year.

"If you haven't yet been immunised, it's important to get the vaccine as early as possible, as it takes a up to a fortnight for the vaccine to offer full protection. Young children also need a longer time as they require two doses a month apart."

The first confirmed case of swine flu in South Canterbury last winter was on June 26.

At the time testing stopped last year, there were 73 confirmed cases in South Canterbury.

A recent study estimates that 1.26 million or 29 per cent of New Zealanders had immunity to the pandemic influenza virus by March this year.

SYMPTOMS

Fever Cough Sore throat Runny or stuffy nose Body aches Headache Chills Fatigue Possibly diarrhoea and vomiting.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/3825944/First-swine-flu-case-confirmed
 
Re: First swine flu case confirmed - South Canterbury

About a quarter of the confirmed cases of swine flu in New Zealand this winter are in South Canterbury.

Eight cases of the H1N1 flu strain have been confirmed here, affecting three adults, four school children and one pre-schooler. South Canterbury Medical Officer of Health Dr Rachel Eyre said none of the cases were serious.

Two cases have also been confirmed in Ashburton, both affecting adults.

During last year's swine flu pandemic, 73 cases of influenza were confirmed in South Canterbury before the Ministry of Health stopped testing in July. Sixteen people were admitted to Timaru Hospital, two of whom were confirmed as having H1N1 swine flu. One patient was admitted to intensive care and later died.

Dr Eyre said district health boards were not playing a significant role in managing swine flu this year. Patients were being monitored and advised by their doctors.

Ministry of Health director of public health Dr Mark Jacobs said there had been an increase in influenza cases in the past few weeks, although numbers were in keeping with a normal year. "There are no signs of a big jump like last year, but it is early days." The majority of influenza cases this year had been the H1N1 swine flu strain.

Dr Jacobs said the ministry was in "management phase" and would not attempt to contain the virus as it did at the beginning of last year's pandemic. The ministry was focused on getting as much information as possible about the influenza virus to the community.

General practitioners were free to use their own judgment when dispensing the flu medication, Tamiflu. Patients with suspected swine flu were able to obtain free Tamiflu from their doctor.

Ministry of Health research indicates just under 30 per cent of the population have already been infected with H1N1.

"We are expecting a smaller number of cases this year," Dr Jacobs said. "A lot of people have already been affected, and the main difference this year is we have a vaccine."

South Canterbury vaccination rates here compared favourably with other areas.

The ministry had extended its vaccination period to whenever stocks of the vaccine run out.

"The flu is here," Dr Eyre said. "It's not too late to get vaccinated."

The World Health Organisation says is difficult to tell the difference between swine flu and other influenzas. Most people will experience a mild to moderate illness and will be able to manage the symptoms at home.

If you have flu-like symptoms, stay at home until not sneezing and coughing. If your condition worsens, seek medical advice by calling Healthline 0800611116 or your healthcare provider.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/3891205/Eight-get-swine-flu-in-region
 
Back
Top