kiwibird
Editor, Senior Moderator
First swine flu case confirmed
By EMMA BAILEY - The Timaru Herald Last updated 05:00 18/06/2010SharePrint Text Size 0 commentsRelevant offers
A 16-year-old South Canterbury girl has the first confirmed case of swine flu this winter, with a wave of the illness predicted in the region.
Last year 16 people were admitted to Timaru Hospital with influenza-like illness. Two were confirmed as having H1N1 or swine flu. One of those patients was admitted to the intensive care unit and later died.
The case confirmed yesterday was the first in South Canterbury so far this winter, acting South Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, Dr Rachel Eyre, said. The girl had visited her GP with flu symptoms and laboratory testing confirmed swine flu.
"The case is being managed appropriately by the GP, using Tamiflu, and the teenager is recovering at home," she said.
"A second wave of swine flu has been anticipated and the health sector has plans in place to respond appropriately. I cannot predict how many cases we will get this winter, or whether it will reach the same level as last year."
Nationally this winter flu season there have been 19 confirmed cases of swine flu, including one admitted to an intensive care unit.
Dr Eyre said vaccination gave the best protection. Flu shots were still available from GPs and were free for people aged 65 and over, pregnant women, people with long-term health conditions, and the very overweight.
In South Canterbury, 12,940 (24 per cent) of people had received a flu shot up to April 30 this year.
"If you haven't yet been immunised, it's important to get the vaccine as early as possible, as it takes a up to a fortnight for the vaccine to offer full protection. Young children also need a longer time as they require two doses a month apart."
The first confirmed case of swine flu in South Canterbury last winter was on June 26.
At the time testing stopped last year, there were 73 confirmed cases in South Canterbury.
A recent study estimates that 1.26 million or 29 per cent of New Zealanders had immunity to the pandemic influenza virus by March this year.
SYMPTOMS
Fever Cough Sore throat Runny or stuffy nose Body aches Headache Chills Fatigue Possibly diarrhoea and vomiting.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/3825944/First-swine-flu-case-confirmed
By EMMA BAILEY - The Timaru Herald Last updated 05:00 18/06/2010SharePrint Text Size 0 commentsRelevant offers
A 16-year-old South Canterbury girl has the first confirmed case of swine flu this winter, with a wave of the illness predicted in the region.
Last year 16 people were admitted to Timaru Hospital with influenza-like illness. Two were confirmed as having H1N1 or swine flu. One of those patients was admitted to the intensive care unit and later died.
The case confirmed yesterday was the first in South Canterbury so far this winter, acting South Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, Dr Rachel Eyre, said. The girl had visited her GP with flu symptoms and laboratory testing confirmed swine flu.
"The case is being managed appropriately by the GP, using Tamiflu, and the teenager is recovering at home," she said.
"A second wave of swine flu has been anticipated and the health sector has plans in place to respond appropriately. I cannot predict how many cases we will get this winter, or whether it will reach the same level as last year."
Nationally this winter flu season there have been 19 confirmed cases of swine flu, including one admitted to an intensive care unit.
Dr Eyre said vaccination gave the best protection. Flu shots were still available from GPs and were free for people aged 65 and over, pregnant women, people with long-term health conditions, and the very overweight.
In South Canterbury, 12,940 (24 per cent) of people had received a flu shot up to April 30 this year.
"If you haven't yet been immunised, it's important to get the vaccine as early as possible, as it takes a up to a fortnight for the vaccine to offer full protection. Young children also need a longer time as they require two doses a month apart."
The first confirmed case of swine flu in South Canterbury last winter was on June 26.
At the time testing stopped last year, there were 73 confirmed cases in South Canterbury.
A recent study estimates that 1.26 million or 29 per cent of New Zealanders had immunity to the pandemic influenza virus by March this year.
SYMPTOMS
Fever Cough Sore throat Runny or stuffy nose Body aches Headache Chills Fatigue Possibly diarrhoea and vomiting.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald/news/3825944/First-swine-flu-case-confirmed