http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=149574
Aboriginal swine flu risk ?high?
22nd June 2009, 6:00 WST
A World Health Organisation expert has warned that Aboriginal people are at serious risk from swine flu and says it is inevitable more Australians will die from the virus.
Professor John Mackenzie, from WHO?s international health regulations committee, said yesterday Aboriginal people were more at risk because of the prevalence of diabetes and other chronic diseases among them.
The warning came after a 26-year old WA man from the remote community of Kiwirrkurra, near the Northern Territory border, last Friday became the first Australian to die with swine flu.
Professor Mackenzie said he knew little about the man?s death but said there was no doubt the virus posed a bigger threat for Aboriginal people.
?Obviously this is some matter of concern,? he said.
?I think in Australia generally there will be more deaths because if you look at what has happened elsewhere and then look at the number of cases we have had confirmed and compare the two, one would expect some more, certainly. It is sad to say but it is fact.?
A team of WA health staff will travel to Kiwirrkurra tomorrow to test neighbours of the dead man for the virus. The town has not been placed in quarantine.
Kiwirrkurra elder and community leader Bobby West said yesterday residents of the community held serious fears for their health.
He did not know the dead man but said there was significant confusion among residents over the seriousness of the swine flu outbreak.
?We don?t know what?s going on,? Mr West said. ?We have a doctor and nurse coming from Darwin tomorrow (Monday). People are worried.?
A Health Department spokeswoman said there was little information about the victim or his movements before he went to hospital.
A local nurse had told the department there had not been any increase in influenza-like illnesses in the community of about 300 people.
The man died in Royal Adelaide Hospital, where he had been in a critical condition since Monday after being transferred from Alice Springs Hospital.
The South Australian Health Department said he had several major medical conditions and had tested positive for swine flu on Thursday.
It is now working to track his movements over the past few weeks to establish exactly how he contracted the virus and to identify anyone else who might be at risk.
On Saturday, WA Health Department chief health officer Tarun Weeramanthri said the dead man probably picked up the virus somewhere between his community and the Northern Territory, where the virus had been circulating.
BEN SPENCER
Aboriginal swine flu risk ?high?
22nd June 2009, 6:00 WST
A World Health Organisation expert has warned that Aboriginal people are at serious risk from swine flu and says it is inevitable more Australians will die from the virus.
Professor John Mackenzie, from WHO?s international health regulations committee, said yesterday Aboriginal people were more at risk because of the prevalence of diabetes and other chronic diseases among them.
The warning came after a 26-year old WA man from the remote community of Kiwirrkurra, near the Northern Territory border, last Friday became the first Australian to die with swine flu.
Professor Mackenzie said he knew little about the man?s death but said there was no doubt the virus posed a bigger threat for Aboriginal people.
?Obviously this is some matter of concern,? he said.
?I think in Australia generally there will be more deaths because if you look at what has happened elsewhere and then look at the number of cases we have had confirmed and compare the two, one would expect some more, certainly. It is sad to say but it is fact.?
A team of WA health staff will travel to Kiwirrkurra tomorrow to test neighbours of the dead man for the virus. The town has not been placed in quarantine.
Kiwirrkurra elder and community leader Bobby West said yesterday residents of the community held serious fears for their health.
He did not know the dead man but said there was significant confusion among residents over the seriousness of the swine flu outbreak.
?We don?t know what?s going on,? Mr West said. ?We have a doctor and nurse coming from Darwin tomorrow (Monday). People are worried.?
A Health Department spokeswoman said there was little information about the victim or his movements before he went to hospital.
A local nurse had told the department there had not been any increase in influenza-like illnesses in the community of about 300 people.
The man died in Royal Adelaide Hospital, where he had been in a critical condition since Monday after being transferred from Alice Springs Hospital.
The South Australian Health Department said he had several major medical conditions and had tested positive for swine flu on Thursday.
It is now working to track his movements over the past few weeks to establish exactly how he contracted the virus and to identify anyone else who might be at risk.
On Saturday, WA Health Department chief health officer Tarun Weeramanthri said the dead man probably picked up the virus somewhere between his community and the Northern Territory, where the virus had been circulating.
BEN SPENCER