• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Aboriginal swine flu risk ?high?

Chuck

Moderator
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=149574

Aboriginal swine flu risk ?high?

22nd June 2009, 6:00 WST

A World Health Organisation expert has warned that Aboriginal people are at serious risk from swine flu and says it is inevitable more Australians will die from the virus.

Professor John Mackenzie, from WHO?s international health regulations committee, said yesterday Aboriginal people were more at risk because of the prevalence of diabetes and other chronic diseases among them.

The warning came after a 26-year old WA man from the remote community of Kiwirrkurra, near the Northern Territory border, last Friday became the first Australian to die with swine flu.

Professor Mackenzie said he knew little about the man?s death but said there was no doubt the virus posed a bigger threat for Aboriginal people.

?Obviously this is some matter of concern,? he said.

?I think in Australia generally there will be more deaths because if you look at what has happened elsewhere and then look at the number of cases we have had confirmed and compare the two, one would expect some more, certainly. It is sad to say but it is fact.?

A team of WA health staff will travel to Kiwirrkurra tomorrow to test neighbours of the dead man for the virus. The town has not been placed in quarantine.

Kiwirrkurra elder and community leader Bobby West said yesterday residents of the community held serious fears for their health.

He did not know the dead man but said there was significant confusion among residents over the seriousness of the swine flu outbreak.

?We don?t know what?s going on,? Mr West said. ?We have a doctor and nurse coming from Darwin tomorrow (Monday). People are worried.?

A Health Department spokeswoman said there was little information about the victim or his movements before he went to hospital.

A local nurse had told the department there had not been any increase in influenza-like illnesses in the community of about 300 people.

The man died in Royal Adelaide Hospital, where he had been in a critical condition since Monday after being transferred from Alice Springs Hospital.

The South Australian Health Department said he had several major medical conditions and had tested positive for swine flu on Thursday.

It is now working to track his movements over the past few weeks to establish exactly how he contracted the virus and to identify anyone else who might be at risk.

On Saturday, WA Health Department chief health officer Tarun Weeramanthri said the dead man probably picked up the virus somewhere between his community and the Northern Territory, where the virus had been circulating.

BEN SPENCER
 
Re: Aboriginal swine flu risk ?high?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/06/22/2605369.htm?section=justin

Swine flu fears hit regional Australia

By Lindy Kerin for PM

PM | abc.net.au/pm

Posted 3 hours 4 minutes ago
Updated 2 hours 43 minutes ago


Health experts are concerned about the potential spread of swine flu in remote communities.

A 26-year-old man from the remote Western Australian community of Kiwirrkurra became the first Australian to die of swine flu last Friday.

A team of doctors and officials from the WA Health Department will fly to Kiwirrkurra on Tuesday to deliver anti-viral drugs and try to find out how the man contracted the virus.

It is still unclear how the 26-year-old caught the swine flu virus but it is understood he could have been infected by a visitor from the Northern Territory.

Among those to visit the community tomorrow will be Dr Charles Douglas, who says there is widespread concern about swine flu.

Dr Douglas says the team will do its best to trace the man's movements and find out how he caught the virus.

"There has been some confirmed H1N1 swine flu in neighbouring communities in the Northern Territory so the way that he got it isn't clear," he said.

"Bear in mind that he had a number of significant other risk factors, which is important, and that's one of the messages we'll be getting across to the rest of the community.

At this stage, there is no evidence of an outbreak at the Kiwirrkurra community. But if any more cases are found, Tamiflu will be provided.

Australian Medical Association (AMA) president, Dr Andrew Pesce, says that may be too late.

"The response now has to be focused on potentially new outbreaks," he said.

"The individual who unfortunately died last week would have been in that community last week.

"Therefore it's too late to base any response on that individual case because you need to get in there within the first three days of exposure."

Dr Pesce says that the spread of swine flu in remote communities has been responded to appropriately.

"There has been consultation by the Government's task force with Indigenous health groups," he said.

"I'm sure you can always do more, but I believe that the intention has been to respond appropriately. I think that the focus should be on making sure that it's rolled out as well as possible."

He says the high level of chronic diseases in remote communities makes Indigenous people more vulnerable to swine flu.

There are now 151 confirmed cases of swine flu in Western Australia and another 60 cases across the border in the Northern Territory.

Neither the NT or WA health departments were able to provide PM with details of how many of those cases were in remote communities.

But fears of widespread outbreaks in Aboriginal communities are growing.

Late week Aboriginal health services across the Northern Territory held emergency talks about swine flu.

There have been several confirmed cases in central Australian communities as well as two cases on the Tiwi Islands, north of Darwin.

Dr Pesce says strict guidelines must be followed, but he warns it is inevitable there will be more deaths.
 
Back
Top