Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public health measures & individualized decision-making: The confluence of the H1N1 vaccine and Islamic bioethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public health measures & individualized decision-making: The confluence of the H1N1 vaccine and Islamic bioethics

Hum Vaccin. 2010 Sep 12;6(9). [Epub ahead of print]
    Public health measures & individualized decision-making: The confluence of the H1N1 vaccine and Islamic bioethics.

Padela AI.

Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA; Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA. aasim@umich.edu.
    Abstract

Vaccinations are amongst the most cost-effective and successful public health interventions. During the H1N1 influenza pandemic public health organizations around the world mobilized to procure and deliver vaccinations to the at-risk populations in order to reduce spread of, and decrease morbidity and mortality from, the swine flu. With the focus on delivering vaccines at a population-level, state and national governmental agencies coordinated to procure vaccine supplies within the United States. However all healthcare decisions trickle down to the individual level. In this essay I narrate the tensions and challenges I faced to make decisions for myself and my family on whether we should get the H1N1 vaccines, while being true to both religious values and medical science. At the end of the narration I reflect on ethical and policy questions we must address during public health vaccination efforts.

PMID: 20519969 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Vaccinations are amongst the most cost-effective and successful public health interventions. During the H1N1 influenza pandemic public health organizations around the world mobilized to procure and deliver vaccinations to the at-risk populations in order to reduce spread of, and decrease morbidity a …
Working...
X