Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Viral Immunol . Human Eosinophils Reduce Viral Titer, Secrete IL-8, and Increase RIG-I Expression in Response to Influenza A H1N1 pdm09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viral Immunol . Human Eosinophils Reduce Viral Titer, Secrete IL-8, and Increase RIG-I Expression in Response to Influenza A H1N1 pdm09

Viral Immunol

. 2021 Aug 19.
    doi: 10.1089/vim.2021.0004. Online ahead of print.
    Human Eosinophils Reduce Viral Titer, Secrete IL-8, and Increase RIG-I Expression in Response to Influenza A H1N1 pdm09

Armando S Flores-Torres 1 , Adrian Rendon 2 , Mario C Salinas-Carmona 1 , Eva Salinas 3 , Adrian G Rosas-Taraco 1

Affiliations

Abstract

Eosinophils participate in the immune response against many pathogens, including viruses. Since mouse eosinophils are susceptible to influenza A virus infection and possess antiviral activity, we evaluated the expression of sialic acid residues in human eosinophils and their response against influenza virus in vitro. We demonstrated that human eosinophils express α2,6- and α2,3-linked sialic acid, and drastically reduced influenza virus titer. After influenza virus exposure, eosinophils upregulated retinoic acid-inducible gene I (RIG-I) mRNA expression, but no other pattern recognition receptors. Finally, high concentrations of interleukin-8 (IL-8) were found in influenza virus-exposed eosinophil cultures. These data suggest that human eosinophils possess antiviral activity and may play a role in the innate immune response to influenza virus.

Keywords: IL-8; RIG-I; eosinophil; influenza virus; sialic acid.

Working...
X