Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIG-I Signaling via MAVS Is Dispensable for Survival in Lethal Influenza Infection In Vivo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIG-I Signaling via MAVS Is Dispensable for Survival in Lethal Influenza Infection In Vivo

Mediators Inflamm. 2018 Nov 8;2018:6808934. doi: 10.1155/2018/6808934. eCollection 2018.
    RIG-I Signaling via MAVS Is Dispensable for Survival in Lethal Influenza Infection In Vivo.

Wu W1, Wang X2, Zhang W1, Tian L1, Booth JL1, Duggan ES1, More S3, Liu L3, Dozmorov M4, Metcalf JP1,5,6.
    Author information

Abstract

Retinoic acid-inducible gene I (RIG-I) is an important regulator of virus-induced antiviral interferons (IFNs) and proinflammatory cytokines. It requires interaction with an adaptor molecule, mitochondrial antiviral-signaling protein (MAVS), to activate downstream signaling pathways. To elucidate the mechanism(s) by which RIG-I-dependent recognition of IAV infection in vivo triggers innate immune responses, we infected mutant mice lacking RIG-I or MAVS with influenza A virus (IAV) and measured their innate immune responses. As has previously been demonstrated with isolated deletion of the virus recognition receptors TLR3, TLR7, and NOD2, RIG-I or MAVS knockout (KO) did not result in higher mortality and did not reduce IAV-induced cytokine responses in mice. Infected RIG-I KO animals displayed similar lung inflammation profiles as did WT mice, in terms of the protein concentration, total cell count, and inflammatory cell composition in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid. RNA-Seq results demonstrated that all types of mice exhibited equivalent antiviral and inflammatory gene responses following IAV infection. Together, the results indicated that although RIG-I is important in innate cytokine responses in vitro, individual deletion of the genes encoding RIG-I or MAVS did not change survival or innate responses in vivo after IAV infection in mice.

PMID: 30532653 PMCID: PMC6250004 DOI: 10.1155/2018/6808934
    Free PMC Article
Working...
X