Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Influenza A Virus Negative Strand RNA Is Translated for CD8+ T Cell Immunosurveillance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Influenza A Virus Negative Strand RNA Is Translated for CD8+ T Cell Immunosurveillance

J Immunol. 2018 Jul 16. pii: ji1800586. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1800586. [Epub ahead of print]
    Influenza A Virus Negative Strand RNA Is Translated for CD8+ T Cell Immunosurveillance.

Hickman HD1, Mays JW1, Gibbs J1, Kosik I1, Mag?dan JG1, Takeda K2, Das S1, Reynoso GV1, Ngudiankama BF1, Wei J1, Shannon JP1, McManus D1, Yewdell JW3.
    Author information

Abstract

Probing the limits of CD8+ T cell immunosurveillance, we inserted the SIINFEKL peptide into influenza A virus (IAV)-negative strand gene segments. Although IAV genomic RNA is considered noncoding, there is a conserved, relatively long open reading frame present in segment 8, encoding a potential protein termed NEG8. The biosynthesis of NEG8 from IAV has yet to be demonstrated. Although we failed to detect NEG8 protein expression in IAV-infected mouse cells, cell surface Kb-SIINFEKL complexes are generated when SIINFEKL is genetically appended to the predicted C terminus of NEG8, as shown by activation of OT-I T cells in vitro and in vivo. Moreover, recombinant IAV encoding of SIINFEKL embedded in the negative strand of the neuraminidase-stalk coding sequence also activates OT-I T cells in mice. Together, our findings demonstrate both the translation of sequences on the negative strand of a single-stranded RNA virus and its relevance in antiviral immunosurveillance.

PMID: 30012850 DOI: 10.4049/jimmunol.1800586
Working...
X