Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Efficacy of delayed treatment of China-made Peramivir with repeated intravenous injections in a mouse influenza model: from clinical experience to basal experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficacy of delayed treatment of China-made Peramivir with repeated intravenous injections in a mouse influenza model: from clinical experience to basal experiment

BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Jul 8;16:325. doi: 10.1186/s12879-016-1589-9.
    Efficacy of delayed treatment of China-made Peramivir with repeated intravenous injections in a mouse influenza model: from clinical experience to basal experiment.

Li Z1, Li R1, Li J1, Xie H1, Hao Y1, Du Q1, Chen T1, Li Y1, Chen R2, Yang Z3,4, Zhong N1,5.
    Author information

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

China-made Peramivir, an anti-influenza neuraminidase inhibitor drug, is manufactured and widely used in China. Although effective if initiated within 48 h of the onset of symptoms, yet we observed that this drug shows an inconclusive efficacy if treatment is delayed in clinical. Thus we evaluated the efficacy of delayed treatment of China-made Peramivir in a mouse model.
    METHODS:

The mouse model of influenza infection was made and Peramivir was administered intravenously for 5 days following infection, and weight loss, lung index, viral shedding and survival rates were monitored.
    RESULTS:

Peramivir (60 mg/kg ? d, repeated intravenous injections, quaque die (QD) ? 5 days) enhanced survival rate and suppressed weight loss when treatment was initiated 24, 36, 48, or even 60 h post-infection (p.i.) (p < 0.01), compared with the virus-untreated group, and efficacy was abolished at 72 h p.i.. However the efficacy of delayed treatment was dose dependent, with the highest dose (90 mg/kg ? d) even showing efficacy at 72 h p.i.. Furthermore, Peramivir (60 mg/kg ? d, repeated intravenous injections, QD ? 5 days) also reduced the lung virus titer 24 and 36 h p.i. on day 5, and even at 48 and 60 h p.i. on day 7 after infection, and the lung index was also improved. What is interesting that the concentration of the drug was maintained in blood after infected.
    CONCLUSIONS:

Delayed treatment with China-made Peramivir can reduce the severity of influenza disease, accelerate viral clearance and enhance the survival rate. This drug therefore shows good efficacy and is a promising candidate to control the influenza epidemic in China.

KEYWORDS:

Delayed treatment; Lung index; Lung virus titer; Peramivir; Survival rate

PMID: 27392915 DOI: 10.1186/s12879-016-1589-9
    [PubMed - in process] Free full text
Working...
X