2 More With Swine Flu Die, City Confirms
By Sewell Chan
Updated, 3:33 p.m. | Two more New York City residents ? a 41-year-old woman from Queens and a 34-year-old man from Brooklyn ? have died after contracting swine flu, bringing the total number of city fatalities from the disease to four, the city?s health commissioner, Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, announced on Tuesday afternoon.
The two people both had underlying medical conditions that raised their vulnerability to the swine flu virus, Dr. Frieden said. The two other city residents who died from swine flu this month ? Mitchell Wiener, an assistant principal at a Queens middle school, and a Queens woman in her 50s ? also had underlying medical conditions.
Speaking at a news conference in Lower Manhattan, Dr. Frieden also announced that one more school ? a 42-student special-education program in Queens for students who are medically fragile ? would be closed. More than 40 schools have been closed since swine flu broke out in New York City in late April.
Dr. Frieden said that autopsies in the two new deaths were pending, but said that laboratory testing had confirmed swine flu in both victims. ?In these two cases, the deaths were not medically attended, and so the full history is not yet known,? he said. ?They either died at home or could not be resuscitated when they were brought in.?
He added, ?To our knowledge, neither of these individuals worked in the school system.?
As of Monday morning, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had confirmed 6,764 swine flu cases, including 10 deaths, in 47 states and the District of Columbia. The three most recent New York City deaths were not included in those figures.
Dr. Frieden, who has been selected by President Obama choice to lead the C.D.C. and is to leave the job, said there have been 131 hospitalizations related to swine flu as of Tuesday.
In the past month, the city has closed 42 schools or school programs in 31 school buildings; 25 schools or school programs have reopened, including 20 on Tuesday.
Over the past week, about 20 to 25 patients have been newly hospitalized each day because of flulike symptoms.
Normally, a typical city emergency room records ?not more than a couple of hundred visits a day,? but now, some have been reporting ?more than 2,000 per day,? Dr. Frieden said.
At the same news conference, Kathleen Grimm, a deputy schools chancellor, said that a letter from Schools Chancellor Joel I. Klein was being sent home with all students, explaining the swine flu situation.
While officials have said that shutting schools will do little or nothing to halt the overall march of the flu virus, but have said that in certain cases the decision to close schools might help protect medically vulnerable people at risk of contracting the flu virus from students or staff at affected schools.
Dr. Frieden emphasized that although swine flu appears to be more contagious than seasonal flu, so far, it does not appear to be more deadly.
Between 400,000 and 1.5 million New Yorkers get seasonal flu every year, and about 1,000 city residents each year die from complications of seasonal flu, he said.
Comment