Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US - Missouri - A new H1N1 death reported

http://flutracker.rhizalabs.com

ST. LOUIS, MO (KTVI - FOX2now.com) - A 44 year old St. Louis man with Swine Flu has died. St. Louis County Health officials say the man was being treated with a confirmed case when he died Tuesday morning. It is unclear how long the man had been sick or how he contracted the flu. Health officials are not releasing any further details.
    Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Attempting to blog an nascent pandemic: Diary of a Flu Year

Re: A new H1N1 death reported

Health officials are not releasing any further details.
    Wonderful

Comment

Re: A new H1N1 death reported

I thought I posted this but it didn't show up....

This would be due to HIPAA, I'm sure. I have to receive HIPAA training annually, but they don't cover if there are exceptions during emergencies. Given the severe civil and criminal (jail time) associated with releasing PHI, I would not be surprised to see people err on the side of caution.
      Last edited by wotan; May 19, 2009, 11:06 AM. Reason: Thread was moved, deleted request to move it.
      Wotan (pronounced Voton with the ton rhyming with on) - The German Odin, ruler of the Aesir.

I am not a doctor, virologist, biologist, etc. I am a layman with a background in the physical sciences.

Comment

Re: US - A new H1N1 death reported

Health officials are not releasing any further details.
        So the local news media will come up with all kinds of sensational suppositions, and health officials will eventually have to report something to counter them. Just a matter of time. The man's family may have requested that no information be released, but that will change too as they get tracked down by the media, or acquaintances of the family speak out. You can't keep "further details" out of the news for long.

Comment

Re: US - A new H1N1 death reported

The case is in the database and will appear in next update.

Comment

Missouri Man, 44, Dies From Swine Flu

Missouri Man, 44, Dies From Swine Flu

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Print ShareThisCLAYTON, Mo. — A 44-year-old St. Louis County man diagnosed with swine flu after traveling to Mexico died Tuesday, state and county health officials said.

The man's name was not released. He died Tuesday morning at an undisclosed St. Louis area hospital.

Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services spokesman Kit Wagar said the man had a confirmed case of swine flu. But an autopsy and further testing is necessary to determine if the illness killed him or if another underlying illness caused his death, health officials said.

County health department director Dr. Delores Gunn said it could be several weeks before the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms the cause of death.

State and county health officials said the man traveled to Mexico last month, then became ill about a week after returning home. He went to his doctor, then to an urgent care center on May 9, then to the hospital. He was being treated with anti-viral medication, Gunn said.

If swine flu is confirmed as the cause of death, the man would be the first person in Missouri to die during the current outbreak of the disease. Missouri has reported 20 cases of swine flu.

The New York City Health Department is also investigating the death of a toddler as a possible swine flu case.

The 16-month-old boy died Monday night at Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens. Hospital officials said he had a high fever when he was brought in.

Health Department spokeswoman Jessica Scaperotti confirmed the investigation but said the agency does not discuss specific cases. It's not yet known how long the investigation will take.

On Sunday, a public school assistant principal, Mitchell Wiener became the city's first swine flu death.

Hospital and city officials say complications besides the virus probably played a part in Wiener's death. But his family has said he suffered only from gout, a joint disease.

Meanwhile, the husband of the first American with swine flu to die is denying media reports that she had a pre-existing medical condition.

Steven Trunnell told CNN's "Larry King Live" Monday night that his late wife was "a healthy pregnant woman" who had never been diagnosed with "major medical complications of any kind."

Judy Trunnell went into the hospital April 19 and remained until her death May 5. While in the hospital she slipped into a coma and gave birth to a healthy baby girl, delivered by Cesarean section.
            ?Addressing chronic disease is an issue of human rights ? that must be our call to arms"
            Richard Horton, Editor-in-Chief The Lancet

~~~~ Twitter:@GertvanderHoek ~~~ GertvanderHoek@gmail.com ~~~

Comment

Re: Missouri Man, 44, Dies From Swine Flu

In today's conference call, the CDC acknowledged that the underlying condition for Judy Trunnel was PREGNANCY!

Comment

Re: Missouri Man, 44, Dies From Swine Flu

Originally posted by niman View Post
                In today's conference call, the CDC acknowledged that the underlying condition for Judy Trunnel was PREGNANCY!

Pregnancy continues to be listed as an underlying risk factor for severe illness. See the recent MMWR early release:
                Separate the wheat from the chaff

Comment

Re: US - Missouri - A new H1N1 death reported

Potentially troubling development, so far there are no known underlying conditions (even a made up one) for this poor individual:

?It?s an unusual case in what otherwise appeared to be a healthy individual,? said St. Louis County health director, Dr. Dolores Gunn.

Of course, it is also a good thing that they may have to admit someone died from the flu outright.

Comment

Working...
                  X