Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autopsy shows Warren Central student did not die of bacterial meningitis

Source: http://www.vicksburgpost.com/article...3099074863.txt

UPDATE: Autopsy shows Warren Central student did not die of bacterial meningitis

Published:
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:26 PM CDT
    A 15-year-old Warren Central High School student died today and an autopsy showed he did not die from bacterial meningitis, which killed a Vicksburg Warren School District student earlier this week, Warren County Coroner Doug Huskey said this afternoon.

Wesley Husband, 35 Round Alley, was at The Street Clinic in a small waiting room detached from the main waiting area, when he died at 9:30 this morning, Huskey said.

"The autopsy is complete and the medical examiner believes she sees pneumonia-like symptoms, but further tests are required to confirm that," Huskey said. Wesley's symptoms had been coughing and congestion, Huskey said.

The teen had been out of school for several days and had been treated in an emergency room Tuesday and released, Huskey said.

Wesley had been taken to the clinic this morning by older relatives, among them his grandparents, the coroner said.

V?Shanti Washington, 6, a Dana Road Elementary School student died Sunday from bacterial meningitis. She had been hospitalized at University Medical Center?s Blair E. Batson?s Children?s Hospital in Jackson since Friday.

Separately, the district reported today that 30 students in the 9,000-student district had been diagnosed by physicians with swine flu, which has been reported across the nation over the past three months. One death has been recorded in the state, in Jackson County on the Gulf Coast.

Huskey said Wesley had no symptoms related to swine flu.

Re: Autopsy shows Warren Central student did not die of bacterial meningitis

This is NOT saying that they tested him for swine flu, and that he was negative.
    So what are they saying really?

Comment

they are saying he did not die of bacterial meningitis, and he did not have symptoms related to swine flu. The question is why did they even mention swine flu?

Comment

Originally posted by www.vicksburgpost.com

...the medical examiner believes she sees pneumonia-like symptoms, but further tests are required to confirm that," Huskey said. Wesley's symptoms had been coughing and congestion, Huskey said.

Yes, why did he mention swine flu, but not anything about testing, given the description of the symptoms?

Comment

By Matt Kozar
          Reporter
          Published: August 27, 2009
          Warren County School District is waiting for lab results that will determine how a 15-year-old Vicksburg boy mysteriously died. Tests results have ruled out meningitis.

15-year-old Wesley Husband died Thursday morning in the waiting room of the Street Clinic in Vicksburg. According to the coroner, they are waiting on results to see whether he died of Swine Flu. The coroner says the teen was complaining of flu-like symptoms, including a cough.

His grandfather says Husband had also been complaining about chest pains. He says they took the 15-year-old to River Region Hospital on Monday, where doctors diagnosed him with a sinus problem and gave him medication. Hospital administrators did not return phone calls regarding the boy?s death.

Warren County Superintendent Dr. James Price says the community is pulling together for strength after losing a second student within a week. Last weekend, 6-year-old Vshanti Washington, who attended Dana Road Elementary School, died of meningitis.

?Regardless of what we think our lives are like?I can?t ever imagine what it would be like to experience the loss of a child of tender age,? he said.

Price says the district has contingency plans based on the outcome of the autopsy and lab results.

Husband?s grandfather says his grandson dreamed of one day becoming a professional athlete.

?He said, ?Granddaddy, if I ever make it pro, you ain?t never have to worry about nothing,?? said Wesley Brown. ?I said all I really want you to do is finish high school, and I?ll be happy.?

But that was a week ago, before Husband got sick. Brown says his wife took him to the Street Clinic after the 15 year old felt worse, even after visiting the hospital.

?He was just a great person to be around,? said Kenneth Walton, a teammate and close friend. ?He was a good role model for kids.?

Walton remembers his friend for his smile and compassion. Evidence of that is on the back of a photograph of Husband obtained by News Channel 12.

A love note - ?To Kaneisha. From Wesley - Once upon a time lovers.?

School officials say students heard about the news through text messages and emotions were running high.

?It?s difficult on the students,? said Warren Central High School Principal Rodney Smith. ?It?s such a tragedy to lose a young person.?

Losing a young person, a family member, is a feeling Brown says is hard to explain.

?I asked my sister that - she had twins and one of them got killed,? said Brown. ?She said you?ll never know until you go through that, when you lose a child, then you?ll know.

?Well I lost my child today, and I know that feeling.?

"In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Meningitis ruled out in Warren Co. teen’s death

By Nicklaus Lovelady • nicklaus.lovelady@jackson.gannett.com • August 27, 2009

An autopsy has ruled out bacterial meningitis as a possible cause of death of a15-year-old who collapsed and died at a doctor’s office on Thursday.

The cause of Wesley Husband’s death is pending results of tests taken to see if the Vicksburg teen had swine flu, Warren County Coroner Doug Huskey said.

Husband, a ninth-grader at Warren Central High School, had spent the last few days at home with flu-like symptoms, Huskey said.

On Tuesday, Husband was taken to the emergency room for a cough and congestion, he said.

When he returned to the doctor's office today, Husband died in the doctor’s waiting room, Huskey said.

Earlier this month, 6-year-old Vicksburg girl died from bacterial meningitis.

It is the only known case in a Mississippi school of meningitis, which is less contagious than the common cold or flu and is not spread by casual contact or breathing the same air. Only a dozen people contracted the disease in the state last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post

Huskey said Wesley had no symptoms related to swine flu.
              But in the last article:

Husband, a ninth-grader at Warren Central High School, had spent the last few days at home with flu-like symptoms, Huskey said.
              Um....so which is it? Is he one of those that falls into the 'no fever' category? I'd like to know!

(Mississippi mom of 3 teens here)

Comment

I don't understand.
                Fever or no fever, if someone is seriously ill with flu-like symptoms, why not test them?
                Last I heard we were still living in a declared pandemic.
                It breaks my heart to hear of so many people finally getting tested - after they die, especially the young ones.
                "There's a chance peace will come in your life - please buy one" - Melanie Safka
                "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be" - Socrates

Comment

Is it common for people who die from Influenza or (Pneumonia) to be bleeding from their nose and mouth at the time of death?

The reason I ask is that Saturday's Local Paper article about this boy described just that:

http://www.vicksburgpost.com/article...b872931274.txt

Results of a swine flu test in the death of Warren Central High School freshman Wesley Husband remained pending Friday night, but were expected today, Warren County Coroner Doug Huskey said.
                  By Pamela Hitchins and Steve Sanoski
                  Published:
                  Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:18 AM CDT
                  Results of a swine flu test in the death of a Warren Central High School freshman remained pending Friday night, but were expected today, Warren County Coroner Doug Huskey said.

The test was administered Friday by the Mississippi State Department of Health, and were not available Friday night, Huskey said. An autopsy performed Thursday on the body of 15-year-old Wesley Husband ruled out bacterial meningitis, which had caused the death of another Vicksburg Warren School District student, 6-year-old Vshanti Washington, earlier in the week.

Wesley, of 35 Round Alley, began to complain of not feeling well Aug. 21, said his grandfather, Wesley Brown. He was taken to a clinic Monday, and returned to school Tuesday. He also went to football practice that afternoon, but the family took him to River Region Medical Center?s emergency room Tuesday night. Wesley was treated for sinus drainage and given a prescription for Zyrtex, an antihistamine, said his aunt, Mary Wyatt. X-rays or lab tests were not done, Wyatt said.

Still not feeling well Wednesday, Wesley stayed home. Wyatt made an appointment for him to see a doctor at the Street Clinic Thursday morning.

On the way to the doctor, Wesley said he could not see and was very weak. He was taken in a wheelchair to a small examining room, where Wyatt said she became concerned that he was not breathing. She called clinic staffers, who placed Wesley on the floor and began ?pushing on his chest. There was blood everywhere,? coming from his mouth and nose, she said.

Wesley died around 9:30 a.m. in a small waiting room detached from the main waiting area, his grandfather said.

Wesley was an athlete at Warren Central, well known for his love of football and basketball, said principal Rodney Smith.

?I knew from the kids and the coaches that he loved being out there,? Smith said.

The school did not receive many calls from parents Friday morning concerned about flu, he said. Warren Central reported about 30 to 40 more students absent than the usual 100 to 110, a district spokesman said. Attendance at other schools in the district appeared to be about normal.

The department of health has confirmed five swine flu cases in Warren County, but it does not attempt to track every case, said director of communications Liz Sharlot. According to the school district?s Web site Friday, a total of 27 students in 10 of the district?s 15 schools had confirmed cases of swine flu. Total district enrollment is 8,934.

Symptoms of H1N1 novel flu, commonly called swine flu, include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.

A number of people have also reported diarrhea and vomiting.

According to the state health department?s Web site, 499 cases of swine flu have been confirmed in Mississippi since May 15.

One death has been attributed to the disease, a 7-year-old Jackson County child. Health officials were looking into the possibility that a 13-year-old girl from Hancock County who died Thursday had swine flu.

Wesley is the second Warren Central student and the third in the VWSD to die since the school year began Aug. 4. Olivia McMillan, 15, was killed Aug. 7 when a tree fell on her home on Dusty Road.

Comment

Bleeding originating from the lungs (which would be forced out during CPR) is something I've heard about both from 1918 flu cases and some recent cases.
                    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Originally posted by JimO View Post
                      Bleeding originating from the lungs (which would be forced out during CPR) is something I've heard about both from 1918 flu cases and some recent cases.
                      Excerpt from Barry's book - The great influenza: the epic story of the deadliest plague in history By John M. Barry
                      "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Wow. Just read that link. 2 Quotes from that link that struck me:

"There were areas of lost vision, areas where the normal frame of sight went black"
                        and

"For when the virus turned violent, blood was everywhere"

Contrast to these two quotes from the article:

On the way to the doctor, Wesley said he could not see
                        and

"There was blood everywhere"

Comment

Coroner says preliminary results were negative. CDC will conduct further testing.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article....-teen-s-death

Comment

Source: http://www.wkrg.com/raw_news/article...-2009_4-40-am/

Coroner: Cause Of Teen?s Death Could Take Months

by (AP) VICKSBURG, Miss.
                            Published: Fri, September 04, 2009 - 4:14 am CST Last Updated: Fri, September 04, 2009 - 4:40 am CST
                            Short URL: http://wkrg.com/323020

Vicksburg, Mississippi - Authorities say it could take months to find out what killed Warren Central High School freshman Wesley Husband.

Warren County Coroner Doug Huskey said the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta is trying to find out why 15-year-old Husband died Aug. 27.

Samples tested negative for swine flu. Husband had complained of chest pain and had been treated for sinus drainage during an emergency room visit two days earlier.

Immediate tests following Husband's death ruled out bacterial meningitis, which had killed a 6-year-old Dana Road Elementary first-grader five days earlier.

___

Information from: The Vicksburg Post, http://www.vicksburgpost.com

Comment

Source: http://www.vicksburgpost.com/article...6075268867.txt

CDC: Teen died after rare staph infection

Click image to enlarge
                              Wesley Husband(Submitted to The Vicksburg Post)
                              Wesley Husband(Submitted to The Vicksburg Post)
                              By Pamela Hitchins
                              Published:
                              Saturday, April 3, 2010 2:15 AM CDT
                              The death of a Vicksburg teen last summer has been officially ruled as having resulted from natural causes ? a fast-moving infection in his lungs caused by a virulent form of staph bacteria sometimes called flesh eating.

Wesley Husband, who was 15 and lived at 35 Round Alley, died Aug. 27 after being sick for about a week. At the time of his death, Warren County Coroner Doug Huskey said Wesley had been suffering from ?pneumonia-like symptoms.?

On Friday, Huskey called it ?pneumonia run wild.?

The certified autopsy report was issued March 31 by the Centers for Disease Control, which took over the case after an initial autopsy failed to pinpoint the cause of death.

The CDC said Wesley?s death was due to ?necrotizing tracheobronchitis due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection.?

It?s a fast-moving, rare infection that complicates pneumonia, Huskey said...

Comment

Working...
                              X