Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legionella Bacteria Found at Madison Heights Police Dept.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legionella Bacteria Found at Madison Heights Police Dept.

Bacteria Found in Police
Station Water

Updated: Monday, 22 Jun 2009, 11:16 PM EDT
Published : Monday, 22 Jun 2009, 11:12 PM EDT
    • By TARYN ASHER
FOX 2 News
    There may be a big problem with the water at the Madison Heights Police Department. They are still mourning the death of a fellow officer from the swine flu, but now there are concerns about some test results on the water.
    Officer Ryan Settlemoir did die from the swine flu and underlying health conditions. However, FOX 2 is learning Legionnaires' disease may have played a role after high levels of the legionella bacteria were discovered in the water system at the department.
    Members of the Madison Heights Police Department are being forced to drink bottled water and use portable toilets after tests just revealed the legionella bacteria in the water and the police station's heating and cooling system.
    Now, additional tests have been ordered for the 22 officers who became ill with flu-like symptoms, and because of this discovery, FOX 2 is told the family of Officer Settlemoir is also waiting to learn if Legionnaires' disease played a role in his death.

"I personally believe, I mean we won't know until the autopsy is completed, but I think it'd be hard to believe that it doesn't have some factor," said Officer Dave Koehler, who is president of the police union.
    He says doctors first suspected Legionnaires' disease, but conflicting test results ruled it out. During that time, the Madison Heights police chief ordered the building tested for the bacteria. The Macomb County Health Department then determined Settlemoir died from the swine flu and underlying health conditions, but now everyone is not so sure.
    Tests have just revealed the legionella bacteria is in the water and the heating and cooling system at the department and may have been what infected the officers.
    "Since he's passed, it's still been another week until they even realized what's going on. So, everybody here has been subjected further based upon that," Koehler said.
    However, Chief Kevin Sagen says it is hard to tell what sickened the officers since the symptoms for Legionnaires' disease are very similar to influenza. He is the one who ordered the additional tests on the officers. "I'm very concerned. I'm responsible for all the employees here, and I don't want people to be sick. I want to provide the best possible working environment," he said.
    "We deal with people everyday and always have a risk of getting hurt or killed on the job and to have it come from a building is kind of scary," said Koehler.
    Koehler says it does make a difference whether Legionnaires' disease did play a role in Officer Settlemoir's death because it could effect the family's benefits. Meanwhile, Sagen says he is working to correct this problem and bringing in a company to flush the water system.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...ionella_police
Working...
X