• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Influenza 2017-18; 21

Beloved Massachusetts woman's death blamed on the flu
    3648 Shares
    WCVB Updated: 7:03 PM EST Jan 10, 2018

NEEDHAM, Mass. ?
    The death of a mother in Needham is being blamed on the flu.

Jenny Ching, 51, and her entire family thought she was just battling a bad cold last week when she went to the hospital last Wednesday. Two days later, she died.
    http://www.wcvb.com/article/mother-o...m-flu/15055081
    Last edited by JimO; February 9, 2018, 02:05 PM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

School Teacher Dies Suddenly From Flu Complications

SWAMPSCOTT (CBS) ? A popular teacher in Swampscott has died from the flu, according to her obituary.

Phyllis Gotlib, 68, had taught music to elementary school students in town since 1999.

She died Wednesday after she became ill over the weekend, the superintendent said in a letter to parents. Students were told about the death Thursday.

?Phyllis was both a kind and generous colleague, always greeting you with a smile and kind word. She was a bright light, with great sense of humor, a passion for music and her students. She will be sorely missed,? said Superintendent Pamela Angelakis, who wrote that Gotlib touched the lives of ?thousands of students.?

Her obituary in ItemLive.com said Gotlib passed away suddenly ?due to complications from the flu.?

?Because we have learned Ms. Gotlib?s passing may have been due to complications from the flu, I sent cleaning crews into the Clarke and Hadley Schools early this morning to thoroughly clean all doorknobs, railings, her classrooms, and common areas including teacher prep spaces and hallways. This work was completed long before students arrived this morning,? Angelakis said in a pre-recorded phone call to parents Thursday.
    A popular teacher in Swampscott has died from the flu, according to her obituary.
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

CDH announces restrictions as flu cases spread

By CAITLIN ASHWORTH
      @kate_ashworth
      Tuesday, January 30, 2018

NORTHAMPTON ? In the midst of the widespread flu season, several patients at Cooley Dickinson Hospital who tested positive for the flu have died ? although many had other health conditions, according to the hospital.

?Because deaths related to influenza are almost always due to other complications, we are unable to confirm the cause of death as flu,? spokeswoman Christina Trinchero said Monday.
      NORTHAMPTON — In the midst of the widespread flu season, several patients at Cooley Dickinson Hospital who tested positive for the flu have died — although many had other health conditions, according to the hospital.“Because deaths related to...
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Massachusetts is reporting a steep increase in hospitalization rates over the past several weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MA Hosp.PNG
Views:	26
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	789497
        The latest weekly flu report?indicates that rates of flu-like illness in Massachusetts have risen over the past seven days, following two weeks of decline.
        "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Mass. doctors fear flu pandemic after 1,600 cases confirmed this week
          Markey urges Congress to cough up $1 billion for universal vaccine
          Meghan Ottolini Saturday, February 03, 2018
          Massachusetts General Hospital, hosting yesterday?s press conference, has already seen 10 deaths and 150 hospitalizations related to the flu this season. Statewide, officials have recorded 5,708 confirmed influenza cases since October ? and 1,646 just this week.
          Bay State doctors fear this year’s deadly flu season will explode into a full-blown pandemic — with influenza sickening 1,646 people just this week.U.S. Sen. Edward J. Markey called on …

Comment

8-month-old recently treated for flu symptoms dies

WCVB Updated: 6:00 PM EST Feb 8, 2018

BOSTON ?
            Authorities are investigating the death of an 8-month-old baby, NewsCenter 5 sources have learned.

Police were called to a home in the 100 block of Deering Road in Boston's Mattapan neighborhood around 3 p.m. Thursday.

Authorities found an unresponsive baby inside the home.

The infant suffered a heart-attack while being rushed to a Boston-area hospital and was pronounced dead.

Comment

Here?s what state health and hospital officials are saying about the flu in Massachusetts
              The Bay State, like most of the country, continues to experience widespread flu activity in the 2017-2018 season.

By Dialynn Dwyer 5:00 AM
              Massachusetts General Hospital

According to Shenoy, the hospital has seen a total of 12 flu-related deaths.
              There’s no doubt about it — Massachusetts is experiencing a bad flu season.According to the latest flu report from the state’s Department of Public Health, the Bay State has seen […]

Comment

Source: http://northofboston.wickedlocal.com...n-essex-county

Child dies from flu in Essex County
                Posted at 5:48 PM Updated at 5:50 PM

The child was under the age of 10.

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) Tuesday confirmed the first influenza-associated pediatric death this year in the state. The child was under the age of 10 and lived in Essex County.

The child?s flu was confirmed by clinical test and symptoms. Last flu season, there were two confirmed pediatric flu-related deaths in Massachusetts. As of Feb. 3, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had reported a total of 63 influenza-associated pediatric deaths this flu season nationwide...

Comment

DPH: 18 Flu Deaths In Massachusetts
                  January 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm
                  Filed Under:Carl Stevens, CBS Boston, Flu, Flu Deaths, Flu Shot, Jim Smith, Massachusetts, Public Health Emergency, Vaccine, WBZ

BOSTON (CBS) ? 18 people in Massachusetts have died from the flu this season, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health announced Wednesday.
                  18 people in Massachusetts have died from the flu this season, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health announced Wednesday.

Comment: Old report. Brings state toll to at least 21. - Ro

Comment

Working...
                  X