Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Influenza 2019-20; 50 fatalities, 5 pediatric

State Flu Homepage: https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/inf...ges/index.aspx

During the week ending December 14, 2019 influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The proportion of outpatient visits for ILI reported by Sentinel Providers increased. Among the ILI visits reported by Sentinel Providers this week, 30% were among children age 0-4 years, and 34% were among the 5-24 year age group. The percent of specimens testing positive in clinical laboratories was 19.8% and influenza/B continued to predominate at 72%. MDH Laboratories Administration had 53.4% of specimens testing positive, with Influenza B/Victoria predominating at 59%. A total of 56 influenza-associated hospitalizations were reported this week. Three outbreaks were reported this week — two were influenza and one was for influenza-like illness. No influenza-associated deaths were reported. Click here to visit our influenza surveillance web page

4 adult deaths reported.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

During the week ending December 28, 2019, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
    HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The percentage of outpatient visits for
    ILI reported by Sentinel Providers increased to 6.8%; Maryland’s percentage of outpatient ILI
    visits has been at or above baseline (1.9%) for the last eight weeks. The percentage of outpatient
    visits for ILI reported by Maryland Emergency Departments increased to 9.5%. The percentage
    of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories increased to 32.9%, with 73% testing
    positive for influenza B. MDH Laboratories Administration reported that 56% of the specimens
    tested were positive for Influenza B/Victoria. Three outbreaks were reported this week — two
    were influenza outbreaks and one was an outbreak of influenza-like illness.

4 adult deaths reported.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

During the week ending January 4, 2020 influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland
      was HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The percentage of
      outpatient visits for ILI reported by Sentinel Providers decreased to 6.6%; Maryland’s
      percentage of outpatient ILI visits has been at or above baseline (1.9%) for the last nine
      weeks. The percentage of outpatient visits for ILI reported by Maryland Emergency
      Departments decreased to 9.0%. The percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical
      laboratories decreased to 28.5%, with 68% testing positive for influenza B. MDH
      Laboratories Administration reported that 58% of the specimens tested were positive for
      Influenza B/Victoria. One pneumonia outbreak was reported this week.
      4 adult deaths reported.

Comment

During the week ending January 11, 2020 influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
        HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The percentage of outpatient visits for
        ILI reported by Sentinel Providers continued to decrease from 6.4% last week to 5.4% this week.
        The percentage of outpatient visits for ILI reported by Maryland Emergency Departments
        decreased to 8.1%. The percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories was
        similar to last week at 28.5%, with a decrease in the number of specimens testing positive for
        influenza B. MDH Laboratories Administration reported an increase in specimens testing positive
        for influenza, but the laboratory saw a decrease in specimens testing positive for influenza
        B/Victoria and an increase in specimens testing positive for influenza A (H1N1) —influenza
        B/Victoria continues to be the predominant strain. Maryland had its first two influenza-associated
        pediatric deaths reported. Both deaths were associated with influenza B.
        6 adult and 2 pediatric deaths reported.

Comment

During the week ending January 18, 2020 influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
          ILI reported by Sentinel Providers and by the Maryland Emergency Departments increased. The
          percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories increased from 28.0% to
          33.6%, with a continued decrease in the number of specimens testing positive for influenza B.
          MDH Laboratories Administration reported an increase in percent positive specimens for
          influenza – the third consecutive week it has increased. MDH investigated nineteen respiratory
          outbreaks this week, and influenza accounted for the majority of the outbreaks.
          13 adult and 2 pediatric deaths reported.

Comment

During the week ending January 25, 2020 influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
            ILI reported by Sentinel Providers increased to 6.8%. The percentage of outpatient visits for ILI
            reported by Maryland Emergency Departments increased from 8.7% to 9.8%. The percentage of
            specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories increased slightly. MDH Laboratories
            Administration reported an increase in percent positive specimens for influenza – the fourth
            consecutive week it has increased. MDH investigated nine respiratory outbreaks and influenza
            accounted for the majority of the outbreaks. One influenza-associated pediatric death was
            investigated and confirmed by MDH.
            17 adult, 3 pediatric deaths reported.

Comment

During the week ending February 1, 2020 influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
              ILI reported by Sentinel Providers increased to 7.3%. The percentage of outpatient visits for ILI
              reported by Maryland Emergency Departments increased from 9.8% to 11.0%. The percentage of
              specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories increased slightly. MDH Laboratories
              Administration reported a decrease in percent positive specimens for influenza. MDH
              investigated fourteen respiratory outbreaks, all of which were for influenza. There were 261
              influenza-associated hospitalizations.
              22 adult, 3 pediatric deaths reported.

Comment

Frederick County parents raise awareness about flu after 5-year-old son dies
                By Josh RosenthalPublished 7 hours agoHealthFOX 5 DC

Two Frederick County parents are raising awareness about the flu just weeks after the death of their 5-year-old son.

FREDERICK COUNTY, Md. (FOX 5 DC) - Two Frederick County parents are raising awareness about the flu just weeks after the death of their 5-year-old son.

They said Lochlin DeSantis was a perfectly healthy kindergartner until a flu diagnoses led to sepsis, a life-threatening illness caused by the body’s extreme response to an infection.

Comment

During the week ending February 8, 2020, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
                  ILI reported by Sentinel Providers decreased slightly to 7.1%. The percentage of outpatient visits
                  for ILI reported by Maryland Emergency Departments decreased from 11.0% to 10.9%. The
                  percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories increased, with an increase in
                  the number of specimens testing positive for influenza A. MDH Laboratories Administration
                  reported a decrease in percent positive specimens for influenza, but influenza A(H1N1) continued
                  to be the predominant strain for the third consecutive week, while influenza B/Victoria continued as
                  the predominant strain for the season at 49%. There were 284 influenza-associated hospitalizations.
                  29 adult, 3 pediatric deaths reported.

Comment

During the week ending February 15, 2020, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
                    ILI reported by Sentinel Providers and by the Maryland Emergency Departments decreased. The
                    percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories decreased, with a continued
                    increase in the percent positive specimens for influenza A. MDH Laboratories Administration
                    reported an increase in percent positive specimens for influenza — influenza A(H1N1) continued to
                    be the predominant strain at 76%. There were 238 influenza-associated hospitalizations. Two
                    influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported to MDH.
                    33 adult, 5 pediatric fatalities reported.

Comment

During the week ending February 22, 2020, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
                      HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The percentage of outpatient visits
                      for ILI reported by Sentinel Providers and by the Maryland Emergency Departments decreased.
                      The percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories decreased from 29.6% to
                      26.2%. MDH Laboratories Administration reported a decrease in percent positive specimens for
                      influenza. In recent weeks influenza A(H1N1) has been reported more frequently than influenza
                      B/Victoria. There were 212 influenza-associated hospitalizations. A total of forty deaths
                      associated with influenza have occurred this season among hospitalized adults.
                      40 adult, 5 pediatric fatalities reported.

Comment

Maryland Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship - Flu
                        headline of “No CoronaVirus” is misleading. They did not test.

Comment

During the week ending February 29, 2020, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
                          HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The percentage of outpatient visits
                          for ILI reported by Sentinel Providers increased slightly. The percentage of outpatient visits for
                          ILI reported by the Maryland Emergency Departments decreased. The percentage of specimens
                          testing positive from clinical laboratories decreased from 25.7% to 24.8%. MDH Laboratories
                          Administration reported an increase in percent positive specimens for influenza. Since late
                          January, influenza A(H1N1) has been reported more frequently than influenza B/Victoria. There
                          were 247 influenza-associated hospitalizations. A total of forty-two deaths associated with
                          influenza have occurred this season among hospitalized adults.
                          40 adult, 5 pediatric fatalities reported.

Comment

During the week ending March 7, 2020, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was HIGH and there was WIDESPREAD geographic activity. The percentage of outpatient visits for ILI reported by Sentinel Providers was similar to last week. The percentage of outpatient visits for ILI reported by the Maryland Emergency Departments decreased slightly. The percentage of specimens testing positive from clinical laboratories decreased from 24.8% to 21.8%. MDH Laboratories Administration reported a decrease in percent positive specimens for influenza. Since late January, influenza A(H1N1) has been reported more frequently than influenza B/Victoria. There were 180 influenza-associated hospitalizations. A total of forty-four deaths associated with influenza have occurred this season among hospitalized adults.
                            44 adult, 5 pediatric fatalities reported.
                            https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/inf...0Week%2010.pdf

Comment

During the week ending March 14, 2020, influenza-like illness (ILI) activity in Maryland was
                              ILI reported by Sentinel Providers increased from 5.1% to 6.9%. The percentage of outpatient visits
                              for ILI reported by the Maryland Emergency Departments increased. The percentage of specimens
                              testing positive from clinical laboratories decreased from 21.8% to 15.7%. MDH Laboratories
                              Administration reported a slight increase in percent positive specimens for influenza. There were 42
                              influenza-associated hospitalizations. A total of forty-five deaths associated with influenza have
                              occurred this season among hospitalized adults.
                              45 adult, 5 pediatric fatalities reported.

Comment

Working...
                              X