Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Rosa County records first A/H1N1 flu death

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Santa Rosa County records first A/H1N1 flu death

    Source: http://www.navarrepress.com/20090929...epresscom.html

    Santa Rosa County records first swine flu death
    Written by Staff Reports
    Tuesday, 29 September 2009
    Officials of the Santa Rosa County Health Department said today that a 52 year old male is the county?s first confirmed death associated with H1N1 Swine Flu.

    The man died September 11. Health officials were notified of his death September 28, when the results of additional lab tests were received. The man had hypertension and GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux disease). In keeping with DOH policy, no additional information was released.

  • #2
    Re: Santa Rosa County records first A/H1N1 flu death

    Source: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/mil...nces-rosa.html

    Santa Rosa County announces first swine flu death (WITH DOCUMENT)
    Comments 1 | Recommend 0
    September 29, 2009 2:28 PM
    Katie Tammen
    Daily News

    MILTON ? Health officials announced Tuesday the first death associated with swine flu in Santa Rosa County.

    The 52-year-old man died Sept. 11, but official notification to the county Health Department wasn?t made until Monday after additional tests confirmed the man was infected with the H1N1 virus, according to a news release from the Health Department.

    The man, whose identity has not been released, had a history of hypertension and gastroesophogeal reflux disease.

    He was first hospitalized Sept. 4. A rapid flu test taken that day came up negative, but later tests confirmed he was infected with the virus.

    ?The death of a loved one under any circumstances is always a tragedy,? Sandra Park, interim Administrator for the Health Department, said in a news release. ?Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this difficult time.?

    The man?s death was the second one related to swine flu reported along the Emerald Coast. Chase Ray, 21, of Walton County died in early August at Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola.

    Okaloosa County has no confirmed deaths associated with the swine flu.

    View the Daily News' swine flu information center here.

    Although a vaccine was approved earlier this month, health officials predict it won?t be available until mid-October. Local health officials continue to urge people to take precautions such as washing their hands frequently and staying home when they are ill.

    The first cases of swine flu in the U.S. were reported in the spring, but testing for the illness stopped in late July, except for in very specific instances, because the virus was so widespread.

    See the answers to frequently asked questions about the swine flu here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Santa Rosa County records first A/H1N1 flu death

      County sees first death attributed to H1N1 virus

      Undisclosed 52-year-old man died Sept. 28; schools' absenteeisms on the rise
      BY JOE CULPEPPER Gulf Breeze News


      The Santa Rosa County Health Department (SRCHD) on Tuesday confirmed the county's first death from H1N1 flu, heightening fears among nervous school administrators, parents and students.

      A 52-year-old man, whose identity and place of residence was not disclosed per Department of Health Policy, died on Monday, Sept. 28.

      The man was hospitalized Sept. 4 and had high blood pressure and gastroesophogeal reflux disease. At the time, a rapid flu test for H1N1 was performed, and the result of the test was negative, according to a SRCHD news release. Additional testing, however, later confirmed that the man was ill with H1N1.

      "The death of a loved one under any circumstances is always a tragedy," said Sandra Park, Interim Administrator for the SRCHD. "Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and friends at this difficult time."

      The news is additionally troubling since the Santa Rosa County School District (SRCSD) already is seeing a 10 to 15 percent spike in absenteeism as apparently more students are contracting seasonal and, quite possibly, H1N1 flu.

      The most alarming evidence of illness was noted at Navarre High School on Tuesday, Sept. 22 when approximately 400 students among the 1,800-member student body missed classes. That's 22 percent of the enrollment and about two-and-a-half times the typical daily absenteeism at NHS.

      "This is probably the tip of the iceberg," admitted Bill Price, Assistant Superintendent of the SRCSD. "It's probably going to increase as the school year goes on."

      All South End Santa Rosa schools have experienced absences thought to be related to the flu, but only Navarre High has seen what officials consider an alarming spike in cases. Woodlawn Beach Middle School in Midway saw the number of check-outs and absences increase noticeably late last week and early this week.

      The SRCSD is working in tandem with the Santa Rosa County Health Department (SRCHD) in monitoring the incidence of flu. Last Thursday, the School District issued a countywide phone call-out to parents informing them of precautions and steps schools are taking to hopefully prevent the spread of the flu virus.

      "Parents are being very cautious," Price said, "which is a good thing. Parents shouldn't panic, but they should be extremely cautious."

      Fear swept the globe as initial reports of deaths in Mexico drew attention last winter. The first case of H1N1 in the United States was verified in April. Two months later, the World Health Organization officially categorized the spread of the illness as a pandemic.

      To date, there have been approximately 70 deaths attributed to H1N1 in Florida, including Tuesday's confirmed fatal case in Santa Rosa County. Nearly 4,300 deaths have been confirmed worldwide, but most people who have become sick with the virus actually have not required medical treatment, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

      Exhaustive testing has shown that H1N1 is not significantly more dangerous than seasonal flu. The symptoms include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue.

      The Santa Rosa County Health Department is continuing its surveillance of the H1N1 virus and encourages the public to practice good hygiene precautions as the most effective method of preventing the spread of not only H1N1 but seasonal flu as well.

      These methods consist of washing hands frequently with soap and water, or using hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available. Residents are reminded to cover sneezes and coughs and, most importantly, stay at home if they are sick.

      Today, the U.S. government was to begin shipping 251 million doses of the H1N1 vaccine. About 90,000 providers in the U.S. will administer the vaccine, many which will have to be taken in two doses three weeks apart. H1N1 shots will be free.

      H1N1 vaccines will not protect someone from the seasonal flu, nor will a seasonal flu vaccine be effective against H1N1.

      Although the Santa Rosa County Health Department has not yet received the H1N1 vaccine, seasonal flu vaccines are available and health officials are encouraging residents to get their annual flu shot.

      Meanwhile, the Santa Rosa School District continues to take a proactive approach to dealing with the flu and its effects on its students.

      "We are doing a newsletter that will go out to parents, and the call-outs will be done on a regular basis," Price said. "We have put out the latest information on precautions. We have hand-sanitizers in the schools, and we preach their usage daily. I think we are doing everything we can."

      Parents are welcome to call their schools and inquire about possible trends nurses and administrators are seeing. If their children appear to be coming down with flu-like symptoms, officials ask that students be kept home and not return to school until they are symptom-free without medication for 24 hours.

      "For some people," Price said, "that's going to be three days; for others, it's going to be seven days."


      Comment

      Working...
      X