• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu Kills 4-Year-Old Colorado Boy

Source: https://denver.cbslocal.com/2020/02/...lorado-mother/

Flu Kills 4-Year-Old Colorado Boy, Mother Says ‘We Feel Like We Failed’
    February 6, 2020 at 9:39 am

(CBS4) – It’s been an especially rough flu season in Colorado and now influenza has killed a 4-year-old boy. It’s the second pediatric death in our state this season.

Officials with Colorado’s Department of Public Health and Environment say the boy was from southern Colorado and died this week.

His mother, who asked not to be identified, told CBS4 sister station KKTV in Colorado Springs her son started showing symptoms on Sunday. She said his name is Najee and it’s if not known if he was vaccinated for the flu...

On Facebook, anti-vaxxers urged a mom not to give her son Tamiflu. He later died.
    Online groups that routinely traffic in anti-vaccination propaganda have become a resource for people seeking out a wide variety of medical information.
    Feb. 6, 2020, 5:03 PM EST
    By Brandy Zadrozny
    One recent post came from the mother of a 4-year-old Colorado boy who died from the flu this week. In it, she consulted group members while noting that she had declined to fill a prescription written by a doctor.

The child had not been diagnosed yet, but he was running a fever and had a seizure, the mother wrote. She added that two of her four children had been diagnosed with the flu and that the doctor had prescribed the antiviral Tamiflu for everyone in the household.

“The doc prescribed tamiflu I did not pick it up,” she wrote.
    The mother also wrote that the “natural cures” she was treating all four of her children with — including peppermint oil, Vitamin C and lavender — were not working and asked the group for more advice. The advice that came in the comments included breastmilk, thyme and elderberry, none of which are medically recommended treatments for the flu.

“Perfect, I’ll try that,” the mother responded.
    Online groups that routinely traffic in anti-vaccination propaganda have become a resource for people seeking out a wide variety of medical information.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X