Clear All

County of San Diego
    INFLUENZA WATCH
    April 27, 2016
    Volume 15, Issue 26
    Week 16
    Ending 4/23/2016

Current Week 16 (ending 4/23/2016)
    ? 135 new influenza detections reported (note that 60 cases were from a batch of
    delayed case reports): Expected level
    ? 3% influenza-like-illness (ILI) among emergency department visits: Expected level
    ? 0 influenza-related deaths reported this week
    ? 5% of deaths registered with pneumonia and/or influenza: Expected level

Current Season Summary
    6,079 Total Cases
    114 ICU Cases
    63 Deaths
    15 Outbreaks

California Influenza and Other Respiratory Disease Surveillance for Week 16
    (April 17, 2016 to April 23, 2016)

Influenza Report Highlights
    ? Influenza activity is continuing to decrease in California; however, laboratory data indicate that
    influenza activity is still elevated in some regions of California.
    ? Outpatient influenza-like illness (ILI)
    o 1.7% of patient visits during Week 16 were for ILI, which is lower than Week 15 (1.9%); the
    percentage of visits for ILI is within expected levels for this time of year
    ? Hospitalization data
    o 4.2% of Kaiser patients hospitalized during Week 16 were admitted with a pneumonia and/or
    influenza (P&I) diagnosis, which is higher than Week 15 (3.8%); the percentage of P&I
    admissions is below expected levels for this time of year
    ? Influenza virus detections by Respiratory Laboratory Network and Sentinel Laboratories
    o 176 (8.5%) of 2,071 specimens tested were positive for influenza during Week 16, which is
    lower compared to Week 15 (10.6%)
    ? Influenza-associated deaths among patients 0?64 years of age
    o There were 10 laboratory-confirmed influenza deaths reported during Week 16
    ? Influenza-associated outbreaks
    o There were 5 laboratory-confirmed influenza outbreak reported during Week 16
    C. Laboratory-Confirmed Severe Influenza Case Reports
    Currently, as mandated under Section 2500 of the California Code of Regulations, deaths among patients
    aged 0?64 years with laboratory-confirmed influenza are reportable to CDPH. The weekly influenza
    report includes confirmed deaths formally reported to CDPH as of April 23, 2016 (Week 16).

During Week 16, there were 10 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated fatalities reported. To date this
    season, there have been 112 reports of laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated deaths among patients
    <65 years of age during the 2015?2016 influenza season.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

California Influenza and Other Respiratory Disease Surveillance for Week 17
      (April 24, 2016 to April 30, 2016)

Overall influenza activity in California was ?regional*? during Week 17.
       Influenza activity is continuing to decrease in California; however, laboratory data indicate that
      influenza activity is still elevated in some regions of California.
       Outpatient influenza-like illness (ILI)
      o 1.1% of patient visits during Week 17 were for ILI, which is lower than Week 16 (1.7%); the
      percentage of visits for ILI is within expected levels for this time of year
       Hospitalization data
      o 3.9% of Kaiser patients hospitalized during Week 17 were admitted with a pneumonia and/or
      influenza (P&I) diagnosis, which is lower than Week 16 (4.2%); the percentage of P&I
       Influenza virus detections by Respiratory Laboratory Network and Sentinel Laboratories
      o 140 (8.1%) of 1,739 specimens tested were positive for influenza during Week 17, which is
      lower compared to Week 16 (8.9%)
       Influenza-associated deaths among patients 0?64 years of age
      o There were 3 laboratory-confirmed influenza deaths reported during Week 17
       Influenza-associated outbreaks
      o There were 5 laboratory-confirmed influenza outbreak reported during Week 17
      Currently, as mandated under Section 2500 of the California Code of Regulations, deaths among patients
      aged 0?64 years with laboratory-confirmed influenza are reportable to CDPH. The weekly influenza
      report includes confirmed deaths formally reported to CDPH as of April 30, 2016 (Week 17).

During Week 17, there were three laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated fatalities reported. To date
      this season, there have been 115 reports of laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated deaths among
      patients <65 years of age during the 2015?2016 influenza season.
      The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

California Influenza and Other Respiratory Disease Surveillance for Week 18
        (May 1, 2016 to May 7, 2016)

Overall influenza activity in California was downgraded to ?local*? during Week 18.
        ? Influenza activity is continuing to decrease in California; however, laboratory data indicate that
        influenza activity is still elevated in a single region of California.
        ? Outpatient influenza-like illness (ILI)
        o 2.4% of patient visits during Week 18 were for ILI, which is higher than Week 17 (1.9%); the
        percentage of visits for ILI is above expected levels for this time of year
        ? Hospitalization data
        o 3.6% of Kaiser patients hospitalized during Week 18 were admitted with a pneumonia and/or
        influenza (P&I) diagnosis, which is lower than Week 17 (3.8%); the percentage of P&I
        ? Influenza virus detections by Respiratory Laboratory Network and Sentinel Laboratories
        o 84 (6.4%) of 1,320 specimens tested were positive for influenza during Week 18, which is
        lower compared to Week 17 (8.1%)
        ? Influenza-associated deaths among patients 0?64 years of age
        o There were 2 laboratory-confirmed influenza deaths reported during Week 18
        ? Influenza-associated outbreaks
        o There were 2 laboratory-confirmed influenza outbreak reported during Week 18

report includes confirmed deaths formally reported to CDPH as of May 7, 2016 (Week 18).

During Week 18, there were two laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated fatalities reported. To date
        this season, there have been 117 reports of laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated deaths among
        patients <65 years of age during the 2015?2016 influenza season.

Comment

Working...
        X