• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Influenza 2017-18; 11 fatalities, including 3 pediatric fatalities

8 flu-related deaths in Pinal County, 1,000+ cases reported this season
    abc15.com staff
    11:01 AM, Jan 11, 2018
    3 hours ago

PINAL COUNTY, AZ - Flu numbers across Pinal County are at "historically high" levels, with eight flu-related deaths and more than 1,000 cases reported this season, officials say.

MAP: Record number of flu cases in Arizona this season

County spokesman Joe Pyritz said the deaths, reported as of Wednesday, are concentrated in members of the public over 50 years old.
    https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ce...ed-this-season
    Last edited by JimO; January 19, 2018, 10:45 AM.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Arizona reports a total of three pediatric deaths in Maricopa County through Week 3.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Arizona Week 2.PNG
Views:	115
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	788687
    Influenza (Flu) in Arizona Information
    "I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Comment

Nearly 500 Arizonans have died from flu, and a new strain may be emerging
      In total, 23,000 flu cases have been recorded in the state, mostly among people 65 and older or 18 and younger.
      Author: 12 News
      Published: 1:47 PM MST February 16, 2018
      This winter's flu season has been one of the worst we've seen in recent history, and it doesn't appear to be slowing.

The virus has already killed 461 Arizonans as of Friday.

According to the Arizona Department of Health Services, that's more than double the 200 we typically see in our state for a full season.

Week 6 (2/04/2018 ? 2/10/2018)
      2017?2018 Influenza Season (10/01/2017 ? 9/29/2018)

Synopsis:
      Influenza activity is elevated. Arizona reported Widespread Activity for week 6. Subscribe to the Flu & RSV report at
      azhealth.gov/email.
      Influenza activity highlights:

 The numbers in this report are based on processed cases. There are a large number of
      reports that are still being processed.
       968 laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza were reported in the past week, from 15
      counties. 22,917 cases have been reported this season, with laboratory-confirmed cases
      identified in 15 counties.
       19,807 (86%) reports this season are influenza A, 2,846 (12%) are influenza B, and 264 (2%)
      are of unknown type.
       New data from the death certificate database were not available. To date, 461 pneumonia and
      influenza deaths were identified this season.
       Two influenza-associated pediatric deaths have been reported for the 2017?2018 season
      in Maricopa County residents. One case was PCR positive for influenza A (H3), and one for
      influenza B/Victoria.

The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

State sees rise in flu, pneumonia deaths as season continues

By Associated PressOriginally Published: February 25, 2018 4:48 a.m.

PHOENIX (AP) ? State health officials say there have been at least 523 pneumonia and flu deaths in Arizona so far during the current flu season, adding to over 200 more than at the same time last season.

The state Department of Health Service says many flu-related deaths are due to complications of flu infections such as pneumonia and that death certificates infrequently list influenza itself as the cause of death.

Comment

Working...
        X