X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota - Bird flu gone for a year, but mystery remains

Bird flu gone for a year, but mystery remains

Business Mark Steil ? Worthington, Minn. ? Jun 6, 2016
    Cornicelli says there's no doubt migrating ducks and geese played a role, but he's always been a little skeptical if they deserve all the blame.

Cornicelli says there were few waterfowl in the state when the first outbreak ocurred a year ago March. More than 6,000 field tests of ducks and geese were all negative. The virus was detected in the wild only in one hawk and one chickadee.

Some animal health researchers suspected other species were spreading the virus from the start. Maybe even small mammals. A study published last month offers some evidence to back that up. Tom DeLiberto says his team of researchers at Colorado's National Wildlife Research Center found that skunks and rabbits can spread the avian influenza virus.
    "I'm not sure that I'm ready to say this is the way that the virus got around, but it certainly a good thing to take a look at and understand better," said Cardona. "Is it possible that these small mammals played a role? It looks like it is a possibility and something that we should consider."

There haven't been any new bird flu cases in Minnesota and only one in the U.S. since the nation's worst outbreak of deadly avian influenza ended a year ago. But that doesn't mean it can't return. The virus has been active in other parts of the world, and there are known pathways for migrating birds to bring it to the U.S. again.

Minnesota has been free of bird flu for a year. The virus cost the state economy an estimated $650 million. Poultry producers are recovering from the outbreak, but exactly how the disease spread remains a mystery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    See also:

Biologist: Rabbits, skunks can pass bird flu to ducks

Biologist: Rabbits, skunks can pass bird flu to ducks David Pitt, Associated Press 3:37 p.m. CDT May 17, 2016 A government wildlife researcher has found that rabbits and skunks can become infected with the bird flu virus and shed it enough to infect ducks ?
    "Safety and security don't just happen, they are the result of collective consensus and public investment. We owe our children, the most vulnerable citizens in our society, a life free of violence and fear."
    -Nelson Mandela

Did any see any discussion at all in the MPR article that people and equipment contributed to the outbreak? Because I did not.

Comment

No. It seems humans are the only animals not blamed. But, in reality, most likely some of the spread was due to humans and equipment.

Comment

merci, les faunes sauvages sont un danger , comme les faunes humaines. Le fait d'inclure le microbiote dans le raisonement me semble p?dagogique. Le microbiote, cela inclut les virus, il me semble ...

En France , il a ?t? pondu ceci:

on va donc, d'ici peu, disposer de documents formalis?s, cela va certainement faire r?fl?chir, mais il faut d?j? les produire ...

on pr?tend baser les strat?gies nationales sur la base des faits produits, sauf que souvent les faits en usage sont faux. Un exemple concret , combien de pays peuvent produire ceci:
        CDC: Salmonella outbreaks linked to backyard poultry

http://www.wattagnet.com/articles/27...97&bid=1425389

Comment

Working...
        X