Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Can You Get H1N1 More Than Once?

Originally posted by Legadillo View Post
    I believe what we will start hearing about later is that more people have been re-infected wth H1N1. I did a search on the net to find articles and even though there were some they were very old (1980's--like me .

As someone said in a similar thread, no vaccine is perfect (complete coverage) and there is no known complete immunity to H1N1, even with the vaccine.

The difficulty is proving it!

WOW--Here we go--first evidence, thanks to FLUFREAK!! In a strange way it is nice to know that my son and I, several family friends or Tonka's family were not alone! However, I don't think it is as rare as they say!

Kanawha County
    Tuesday November 24, 2009

CDC confirms Kanawha County pediatrician had swine flu -- twice
    Health officials say chance of getting swine flu twice rare, but possible

by Zack Harold
    Daily Mail staff
    Craig Cunningham

Dr. Debra Parsons, a pediatrician at Kid Care West in Cross Lanes, was met with reactions of doubt last month when she said she had contracted swine flu twice. Now, test results from the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta say Parsons was correct.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A West Virginia physician who claimed to have contracted the H1N1 virus twice now has proof -- from the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, no less -- that her claims were true.

Dr. Debra Parsons, a pediatrician at Kid Care West in Cross Lanes, was met with reactions of doubt from local health officials last month when she said two flu tests had come back positive for H1N1, or swine flu.

Parsons first came down with the virus, complete with all the telltale symptoms, in August.

Her son became ill at the same time with the same symptoms. Figuring they had the same bug, Parsons tested herself to see what it was.

The test came back positive for Influenza A, so the lab at Charleston Area Medical Center sent it to be sub-typed. Parsons was positive for H1N1.

Parsons and her son recovered, but in October they started having the same symptoms, but they became much worse.

They were both tested this time, and the results were the same -- they were positive for Influenza A and then H1N1.

"It was swine flu both times," Parsons said.

Dr. Rahul Gupta, director of the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department, and John Law, spokesman for the West Virginia Division of Health and Human Resources, were skeptical of Parsons' claim.

Law said the possibility of getting the flu twice was "very, very, very rare." Gupta said he was "aware of no data or scientific body of research or case reports" that indicated someone could contract H1N1 more than once.

So the specimen from the Parsons' second flu test was sent to the CDC in Atlanta, where it underwent a preliminary strain reaction test. Parsons says that test is the "gold standard" in differentiating between seasonal and swine flu.

That sample came back a couple weeks ago, and it was positive for H1N1. The CDC then requested a specimen from Parsons' August flu test.

Last Friday, the results of that test came back positive for H1N1.

Parsons says she's spoken with CDC representatives about the results, and they said the double infection isn't all that unbelievable.

"They said this happens every year with seasonal flu, so there's no reason to expect that it wouldn't happen with swine flu," Parsons said. "Every flu strain can change a little bit."

The pediatrician says there may have been a tiny change in the virus that stopped her immune system from recognizing it or her body never built up immunity to it.

Parsons said the CDC's tests confirmed what she already knew, "so I'd know what to tell people, and I could prove that I wasn't trying to start a panic. I don't want to scare anybody."

"I need to know, as a physician, if it is possible or not. I want to tell my patients the truth," she said.

She says the confirmation also speaks well of CAMC's lab.

"It feels good to verify that the hospitals here are doing a good job and their tests, for the most part, are accurate," Parsons said.

Law, the DHHR spokesman, still says most people should "rest assured if you've had it, you'll develop some immunity.

"Can you ever say never? No you can't."

Gupta says he needs to see Parsons' test results before he can change his opinion. He says there are only two ways she could have contracted the virus twice -- the virus would have had to change, which he doesn't think has happened, or her body failed to develop an antibody response to it.

"That would mean you have a problem with your immune function," he said.

Parsons says to her knowledge neither she nor her son has any immunity problems.

"He's welcome to see them," she said. "I've had every test that he wanted done when he was on TV."
    But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

A two-year-old girl in Korea has reportedly contracted the H1N1 virus a second time in just two months, making it the first such case in the country.

According to Yonhap News agency the girl tested positive for the virus in September and made a full recovery but recent tests show she has the H1N1 flu again.

The patient was re-admitted to a hospital in the southeastern city of Gimhae last weekend after suffering from a high fever. Doctors are baffled by the latest case since the body forms antibodies to fight the virus after one infection.

Meanwhile in the U.S. a West Virginia doctor said she also tested positive for H1N1 flu twice, once in August and again in October.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control tested two different specimens from the patient and both came out positive.

S Korea reports first suspected A/H1N1 reinfection case

SEOUL, Nov. 26 (Xinhua) -- South Korea on Thursday reported a suspected reinfection case related to the A/H1N1 flu, the first in the country.

According to the Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs, a two-year-old girl, who has recovered from the new contagious disease in September, was again tested positive for the virus this month.

It is the first such case reported in the country, which also is rare in the world.

Health officials said the baby was admitted to a hospital in the southeastern city of Gimhae in September due to high fever, and was confirmed to be infected with the virus by Green Cross Reference Laboratory that tests samples provided by local clinics and hospitals. The baby later recovered after receiving antiviral treatment.

However, the baby was sent to hospital again on Nov. 20 as she had a temperature reaching 39.1 C and showed respiratory-related symptoms, and later was tested positive for the A/H1N1 strain, the officials said.

Samples taken from the baby will be sent to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to check its genetic sequence to find out whether it is a mutated strain of the new flu, the officials added.

Generally, a person that has recovered from the new flu will produce antibodies and develop immunity to the virus.

Officials cited the possibility that the baby did not infect the virus in September and just was misdiagnosed as no re-checking of the first sample was made. But they also said the baby might contract a mutated virus, or the baby has not develop related immunity as she is too young to have a perfect immune system.

But Prince Prospero was happy and dauntless and sagacious. -Poe

Also known as CRH-land

Comment

I wonder why so unexpected? Reinfection occured in 1918. John Barry in The Great Influenza wrote that Col. Edward House,Wilsons closest confidant, had influenza in the first wave in March 1918, a second time in November and a 3rd time in January 1919.

Comment

Two members of my family had the flu and they were treated with Tamiflu, but they were never tested for swine flu. When we had the chance to have the vaccine, we all got the vaccine even though two had presumably recovered from it.

A friend today told me her doctor said it would be dangerous to have the H1N1 vaccine if you have already recovered from it. I wonder why he would say that? Wouldn't it just be like a booster shot? Just curious if anyone had any knowledge or expertise on this.

Comment

Working...
          X