Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABC Interview: Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABC Interview: Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt U

Q&A: Is This the 'Mother of All Bird Flu Clusters'?

By AMY MALICK

May 25, 2006 ? ABC News Medical Unit producer Amy Malick spoke with bird flu expert Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Q: Could these new cases in Indonesia signal the start of a pandemic?

A: That was the question that obviously the World Health Organization and the Indonesian public health people had, but the initial investigation would appear reassuring. And that's because WHO, very quickly, caught the virus, sent it to the laboratory and did a genetic analysis. The virus seems to be, fortunately, quite similar to the conventional bird flu ? the poultry viruses that have been seen in Indonesia. So it does not look, at the moment, as though the virus has changed. It's not readily transmittable person to person, as far as we know at this time. So our anxiety level can diminish a little bit, but the investigation continues.

Q: Is this the easily transmissible type of avian flu that experts have been fearing?

A: Probably not. This does not appear to be the easily transmissible virus. This looks like a poultry virus, a bird flu virus, that happened to get into a person. And then because the extended family had such close contact with that person, all that coughing, etc., resulted in exposure of the other family members, and they got sick. Similar to what happened about two years ago to a family in Thailand, where a mother and daughter had similar exposures.

Q: How are these cases in Indonesia different from the ones we have seen before?

There are two things. The first is, at the moment, the source of the virus is a puzzlement. People are not sure how the first case acquired her infection. And so that always raises the question: Could it have come from a person rather than a bird? Of course, sadly, in this extended family of seven people, six have now succumbed, so we can't get a history. So neighbors and other people will have to be asked about that. So the source is a mystery.

And the other, frankly, is this is a large cluster: Seven people ill, even though they are in one family. That's also provocative. So that does raise the question, could it have been human-to-human transmission of the sort we feared? So far, that's not the case. That's what sparked the investigation.

Q: How alarming is this cluster of cases?

A: It's not alarming. It's very noteworthy, but the rest of us can stand down, relax a little and watch the progress of the investigation. This is something for us, the pros, to get excited about. But the rest of us can just relax a little, for the moment. And stay tuned.

Q: Does this change at all what laypeople should be doing to prepare for a potential pandemic?

A: I think this does not change things, but it should be another stimulus. ? Colleges, businesses, even the average family should have a plan, and this is another stimulus to give it some thought.

Q: A WHO spokesperson has called these new bird flu cases the mother of all clusters. What is your reaction to that?

A: It's more excitable than if I were the official. I wouldn't say that. It's certainly a cluster. This is a large group of people who were exposed and have become obviously seriously ill, and we still don't know the source. So that's the sort of thing that needs an investigation.

Re: ABC Interview: Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbi

> Q: Is this the easily transmissible type of avian flu that experts have been fearing?

A: Probably not
    . This does not appear to be the easily transmissible virus. This looks like a poultry virus, a bird flu virus, that happened to get into a person. And then because the extended family had such close contact with that person, all that coughing, etc., resulted in exposure of the other family members, and they got sick. Similar to what happened about two years ago to a family in Thailand, where a mother and daughter had similar exposure.

GR: So, what they're looking for are transmission changes which are casual.

GR: The AMAZING FACT that this virus transmits second and third generationally is UNIMPORTANT to this man and to WHO. To me, this conclusion is irrational and undermines their credibility.

GR: Casual transmission is Phase/Stage Six. That is pandemic. This person is telling us there will be no more phases or stages beyond level Three, where the dial has been kept for the past 2 years by WHO.

GR: When WHO tells the world that the virus is casually transmitted, they will be "late"; the virus will be out of Pandora's Box and people will be dying in droves. I find this plan by WHO to be deceptive and a disservice.

Comment

Re: ABC Interview: Dr. William Schaffner, chairman of preventive medicine at Vanderbi

WHO's trackers and tracers are mistaken. Why? Seriously, why?

The mother and son were sick BEFORE THE PICNIC. About half the people at the picnic got sick.

So, mom/son infected the people at the picnic.

There were only 3 people in that room with the mom; the coughing story makes only partial sense. Do not get blinded by a half truth.

Dates that symptoms start to appear

April 27 - Praise
      April 28 - Roy
      April 29 - Date of Picnic
      May 5 - On or about this date: Anta, Boni, Jones, Rafael, Renaita
      May 15 - Dowes

We have mom possibly infecting Roy and the two transmitting to 4 more and finally to last to demise.

The picnic does NOT equal a closed room. The idea of large concentration of virus is "nice", but it does not play out in reality.

Nor does the latest Webster logic of genetics first and only (emphasis on "only"). Here a mother and father, who were not blood relatives before they became parents, both sickened and died.

I guess the logic here is that WHO makes up the theory and selects the facts to get the correct results. This is like saying that the virus has not "mutated". Nope, it didn't mutate, it recombined.

Are we experiencing accurate news reporting?
      Are we experiencing accurate reporting of true facts from WHO, or are these WHOFACTS from WHO?

Comment

WHO's shares do you think will be the most affected by the truth. After all money talks doesn't it.

Have we ever experienced accurate news reports?? And I have fairies at the bottom of my garden!!

Big corporations have continuity planning, so lets not upset the share price; everyone else is to use the vernacular "collateral damage".

If they only feed BS BF information then everyone that laps it up will appear to be a bottom fishers/feeders won't they!! (slightly dissapointed that they couldn't get the terminology correct) It gives a "hole" new meaning to the phrase.

If you want truth - due to inclement weather my grass is has grown too long!! Maybe if I don't cut it I can hide in it when the truth eventually outs itself. Can ants get bird flu????

Comment

Fox just had a Dr. Christine Dumas on talking about bird flu. She said the cluster in Indonesia was due to genetic susceptability since no husband/wife pair has ever been affected. She seemed to want to convey the message that we would be less likely to have a problem here if the bird flu arrives, compared to less developed countries. It is no wonder the American people have no idea what's going on, with this or anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by peggy
            Fox just had a Dr. Christine Dumas on talking about bird flu. She said the cluster in Indonesia was due to genetic susceptability since no husband/wife pair has ever been affected. She seemed to want to convey the message that we would be less likely to have a problem here if the bird flu arrives, compared to less developed countries. It is no wonder the American people have no idea what's going on, with this or anything else.
            So, it's the 10 yr old and the father, but not the 10 yr old's mother, who died?

Comment

I'm not sure, the point is there have been transmissions between unrelated (by blood) people in the past,for example the nurse last year, and I thought the theory of needing genetic susceptability was unfounded. Fox news was just putting out more "don't worry" messages, IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X