Detecting Pandemic Onset - My thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detecting Pandemic Onset - My thoughts

I just wanted to share the way I organize my thinking regarding key pandemic indicators. I have read a lot of commentary by folks suggesting that just the size of the illness clusters is what they are looking at. This is similar to the way WHO has organized its Pandemic Phases 4 & 5. But cluster size may just be indicative of the size of the gathering where the first or second common source H2H transmission event took place.

So if you are trying to detect the onset of the pandemic I suggest you look for qualitative (five stages) and then quantitative indicators. Initially the qualitative indicators are most important, since they point to the virus?s H2H progression. Here the amount of viral load required to generate illness indicates transmission efficiency.

First stage requires large viral loads ? with frequent or long exposures generating illness. This would be typical of common source individual/cluster, animal to human outbreaks.

Second stage requires large viral loads ? with less frequent or shorter exposures generating illness. Typically, small clusters of people with different onset dates of illness. Since the Fall of 2004 most H5N1 illness has been associated with this kind of clustering, mostly within families.

Third stage is where the virus has become significantly more transmissible with lower viral loads required to cause illness ? frequent or long exposures, large clusters of people who spend time with each other or share a common environment. This would include transmission between patients and health care workers and the larger periodic outbreaks we have been seeing (e.g.
    <st1 =""> N. Vietnam</st1> doctor/nurses, Jakarta Zoo incident, Turkey outbreak, etc.)

Fourth stage also requires small viral loads ? with infrequent or short exposures, very large single human source clusters of illness. These clusters would be sustained over longer periods of time and over larger geographical areas with limited outbreaks of new subclusters.

Fifth stage casual contact H2H illness - pandemic

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
    <!--[endif]-->

By providing this classification format, I am suggesting that the character of the clusters is what is initially telling - considering duration, localization.

Looking at the various stages statistically, in terms of the duration and frequency of the potential transmission contact indicates how genetically the virus is changing.

Since when we are infected it is not by just a single virus with a single genetic signature but instead by a mutant swarm of virus (cf. ?The Great Influenza? page 105). It is a population of virus that has a lot of genetic variation but is centered upon a particular genetic sequence. The larger the viral load (duration and frequency) the more likely one will be infected by a virus with a genetic sequence that can cause illness, even if the center of the variation would not likely cause illness.

As the center of the viral population moves closer toward what it required to cause illness, finding a particular illness causing viral sequence becomes more likely ? thus it is more infectious.
    <!--[endif]-->

We do not need to know anything about the viral load to qualitatively follow the progress of this virus. What we need to pay attention to is the frequency of stage 3 and then 4 events.

The primary difference between these two is the number of continuous H2H2H?2H transmission events. My best guesstimate is that stage 3 would be up to 3-4 clinically interrupted H2H events and that stage 4 would be 5 or more. If this guesstimate is accurate then we are looking for a stage 4 illness cluster whose duration exceeds 3.5 weeks (first illness onset date to latest/last onset date).

Longer chains of H2H?.2H are significant because each ?passage? that the virus makes through a human host allows it to greatly adapt itself for the next human transmission event (cf. ?The Great Influenza? page 177). So without medical/circumstantial intervention, very long unbroken H2H chains signals a well-adapted virus that is ready to pandemically breakout.

Additionally, like the branches of a tree radiating out from the trunk, when we see sub-clusters being generated from an initial illness cluster this is a sign of a stage 4 event.

The difference between my stage 4 and 5 is the virus getting closer to large scale, self-sustainment. When scientist model pandemic flu they speak of the reproductive number (Ro), which is the average number of secondary cases of disease generated by a typical primary case. As this number moves toward the most commonly used values of ~1.8 to 2.0 we will see sustained unstoppable pandemic - with the number of ill people roughly doubling every 4.5 days.

Once we start seeing stage 4 events we will know that we are very close to the onset of a pandemic - then we should look for its quantitative signature. Specifically we are looking for the likely loss of H2H transmission containment.

Stage 4 sub-clusters breaking out radially from the main cluster are problematic because they rapidly increase the number of points at which H2H transmission can take place. This puts enormous time pressure on epidemiologic tracing and systematic containment.

Besides the number of transmission points the other quantitative signal is the rate at which secondary cases are created from each H2H transmission stage (the reproductive number). To be largely self-sustaining we should look at the number of new cases being created from each successive generation of H2H transmission to be about 1.5 or more.

Containment is not about dealing with what is in front of us; it is about dealing with what is coming. Remember, given its incubation period, when one generation of sick shows up at a hospital the next larger generation has already been created.

So while the qualitative indicators are subject to obfuscation and cover-up, the quantitative indicators are inescapable signs of a coming pandemic and cannot be covered up for longer than 3-4 weeks ? since the sheer number of ill will be very obvious and locally overwhelming.

To date I think, we have seen (though not officially acknowledged) many clusters whose H2H transmission chain has extended to 3-4 before being broken. So, I believe we are starting to coalesce on stage 3 and that we have not yet seen any stage 4 events. Moving forward we will continue to see stage 1 and 2 events with an increasing frequency of stage 3 and then some initial stage 4 events.

So the critical question is ?. Roughly every 4-5 days, are we seeing noticeably increasing numbers of H5N1 victims and are these new victims being created from 5 -10 different transmission points?

If so then I think we are at the threshold of containment loss - a pandemic.

When people are able to answer yes to this question I recommend that they quickly complete all their pandemic preparations.

nonlocality

Re: Detecting Pandemic Onset - My thoughts

Thank you for joining us at FT, nonlocality. Your post is exactly what I hoped you would bring with you. An erudite, cogent thesis.

I agree with your assessment with the caveat that Indonesia may currently be witnessing the first cluster of your stage 4. We lack one key piece of information to conclusively suggest it has moved from three to four. How did the most recent victims contract the disease? Were they infected by the 34 year old father during his flight from hospital? If so then the chain has moved from a definite three to possibly five links. And as you noted with each subsequent generation making changes to assure the continued survival of the virus. All of us should be on the lookout for any data corroborating the infected father exposed the three latest victims.
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Interesting discussion and welcome.

Looking at the various stages statistically, in terms of the duration and frequency of the potential transmission contact indicates how genetically the virus is changing.
      This is true, but if WHO would release the sequence data we wouldn't have to guess at changes based onset dates, cluster size, incubation period, etc.
      Containment is not about dealing with what is in front of us; it is about dealing with what is coming. Remember, given its incubation period, when one generation of sick shows up at a hospital the next larger generation has already been created. So while the qualitative indicators are subject to obfuscation and cover-up, the quantitative indicators are inescapable signs of a coming pandemic and cannot be covered up for longer than 3-4 weeks ? since the sheer number of ill will be very obvious and locally overwhelming.
      Once the reproductive number rises above 1, and containment measures fail, we will see the start of a pandemic. We can not tell if it will break out from any single cluster, but as you note, it will become perfectly clear in a matter of weeks.
      http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nonlocality
        I just wanted to share the way I organize my thinking regarding key pandemic indicators. I have read a lot of commentary by folks suggesting that just the size of the illness clusters is what they are looking at. This is similar to the way WHO has organized its Pandemic Phases 4 & 5. But cluster size may just be indicative of the size of the gathering where the first or second common source H2H transmission event took place.

[FONT=Arial]So if you are trying to detect the onset of the pandemic I suggest you look for qualitative (five stages) and then quantitative indicators. Initially the qualitative indicators are most important, since they point to the virus?s H2H progression. Here the amount of viral load required to generate illness indicates transmission efficiency.
        Is it possible for someone to come up with a simple mathematical model or online program that we can feed the information into ,as it breaks. I'm guessing that it would not be too dififcult to write a simple model to take your ideas - and then we could all share the load of inputting data to it.
        Looking back over the past month, we are shifting to more & more human reports - it almost seems trivial to report a dead swan now. We are getting more & more information - family relations, ages, sexes, geographic distance from other cases, dates of onset etc - it would be great to model it somehow.
        Any thoughts?

Comment

"......Third stage is where the virus has become significantly more transmissible with lower viral loads required to cause illness – frequent or long exposures, large clusters of people who spend time with each other or share a common environment. This would include transmission between patients and health care workers and the larger periodic outbreaks we have been seeing (e.g.<ST1 =""> N. Vietnam</ST1> doctor/nurses, Jakarta Zoo incident, Turkey outbreak, etc.)

Fourth stage also requires small viral loads – with infrequent or short exposures, very large single human source clusters of illness. These clusters would be sustained over longer periods of time and over larger geographical areas with limited outbreaks of new subclusters..."

Greetings, and thank you very much for that analysis nonlocality. The viral load issue is very interesting.

S.

Comment

I wish we could come up with some quantitative way of tracking the virus?s progression through these stages ? something forward looking.

Given our state of ignorance, I think we do not know the basic things required to even guess. We would need to know what exactly the minimum set of mutations required for the virus to reach significant H2H transmissibility (Ro ~ 1.5?) - currently unknown but speculated to be just a few more critical changes. But even then the virus does not have to follow this minimalist path. Then we would need many samples from cluster victims to be able to follow its progress. Since these samples are very closely held or not even available you can see the dilemma.

One of the forward looking things that this system offers is that we know generally what we are looking for. We can see what the progression is and how to quantitatively look at the information.

Looking forward, we know that proportionally the number of human illnesses/deaths created from stage 1 and 2 events will wane as the number for stage 3 and then 4 grow. The speed of this waning and waxing is really dependent upon the hospitability of the environment in which the virus acts. That is why<st1:country-region><st1 =""> Indonesia</st1></st1:country-region> currently seems to be such a focal point but it can just as easily come out of rural <st1:country-region><st1 ="">China</st1></st1:country-region>or <st1:country-region><st1 ="">Cambodia</st1></st1:country-region>.

But generally what I have suggested is a way of looking backwards, as best we can, to follow the frequency of stage 3 and then 4 events ? to follow the progress of the virus as it iterates toward its high transmissibility solution. This allows us various degrees of warning/preparation based on the sensitivity of our individual triggers (lots of back to back stage 3s, first stage 4, lots of stage 4s, etc.).

Depending on how informationally opaque the country is this may be relatively easy to follow, but this after-action information is typically weeks old if we do get it. If we are forced to rely only on the quantitative indicators to signal what is going on at a particular localized hot spot then this should still provide us a couple of weeks to react before it goes regional/national and then transnational.

Even though when the virus becomes fully transmissible and it approximately doubles the number of victims every 4.5 days, it still takes a significant amount of time for it to build up steam.

If you have a good pandemic plan, whose last few steps would require only a couple of days to implement then you should be in good shape.

nonlocality

Comment

Originally posted by nonlocality
              I wish we could come up with some quantitative way of tracking the virus?s progression through these stages ? something forward looking. . . .
              so far we have been counting and watching the the number of individuals go up for each cluster. Going back through the cluster data gives the following:

Number of clusters per year

2006...12 (to date through 5/2006, projected up to 30 by year end).

Without doubt we are seeing an increase in clusters.

we are also seeing an increase in the average number of individuals per cluster.

2003 .... 2.3
              2004 .... 3.0
              2005 .... 2.5
              2006 .... 4.3

I don't think we can predict when it break loose, unless there are some modeling statistics relating to cluster size and inability to contain through isolation and blanketing treatments.
              http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X