This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dedication to Melissa Hein

Joe, My condolences to you and your family for your loss of Melissa.

It is a special person who becomes a counselor, with her studies and the guidance given to her as she grew, she would have helped many young people.

The posts and guidance you give at FluTrackers makes a difference.

Thank you for your dedication to the future.

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. She was a very lovely young woman.

Comment

I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope we can be some support to you in your time of loss. The dedication of the psychological issues forum in Melissa's name is one small tribute to a girl who was an Angel. The forum will be very important during the trying times of a pandemic.

Comment

My condolences to you Joe and your family.

Prayers of Grace, Courage and Hope are with you all.

As we can now see, Melissa will and focus has created a new forum that will indeed help so many. She is Great.

Her Spirit already has her Wings and Flying, True signs of devoted Angels.

With heart felt sympathy and prayers.

Michel

Comment

Dear Friends,
            You are all very kind. My family and I thank you. I have had the experience of losing my parents and life-long friends, but nothing prepared me for this other than the grace of God and angels of mercy like you all. The pain still exists but our functional strength is coming back. Thank you.
            Joe
            Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

Florida1 noted in the first post, Melissa had planned a career as a counselor for troubled teenagers. Florida1 and I discussed how the despair of the young in any society can become the incubator for desperate acts with social and political consequences such as school shooters or even suicide bombers. The mental health system I work in now is already overwhelmed with current demands. Clearly there is not funding to cover the current needs with the tools we have. We must develop new tools or strategies for health promotion, recovery and healing. These new paradigms must also have the dual use capability to help society in the event of major disasters or pandemics. As we marshal our resources for the challenges ahead, we must remember the rich resources that live within each of us, the people of our community. What Florida1 has done with this forum, for me and for you, is to give that remembrance a face and a name. Thank you.
              Joe
              Thought has a dual purpose in ethics: to affirm life, and to lead from ethical impulses to a rational course of action - Teaching Reverence for Life -Albert Schweitzer. JT

Comment

Thornton, I am so sorry to read of your loss - can't begin to fathom it. I pray your faith will sustain you and your family during this tough time.
                "In the beginning of change, the patriot is a scarce man (or woman https://flutrackers.com/forum/core/i...ilies/wink.png), and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for it then costs nothing to be a patriot."- Mark TwainReason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it. -Thomas Paine

Comment

Joe,
                  My thoughts and prayers flow out to you and your wife on this terrible loss. Know that you have many friends here on this board, and elsewhere, who all share in your grief and are here to help.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

What has happened on FT is a very unusual phenomena. People from all over the world, previously unknown to each other, and as volunteers, have transcended the differences that exist in our backgrounds, cultures, languages, religions, and political systems to create a venue that is a help to yet many other unknown persons.

What has inspired each of us to participate on a daily, monthly, and now yearly basis?

The belief in the human spirit.

The belief that we can as individuals, in our daily lives, extend our hands to those less able.

That we can, as a community, extend an arm to many.

As my father lie dying of cancer in the hospital, I thought to myself "How can I stop this? I would gladly give an arm, leg, an eye.... to save him."

After he died - I wanted him back.

How could he have died at 59? A previously very healthy person? What was the point of this? Why? Why him? Someone so nice and kind?

As months went by, I missed him. How many times did I pick up the phone and start to call his office during the day just to say "Hi!"?

I still wanted him back. And now I was mad at him too. Why had he ignored his doctor's orders two years earlier for a follow-up test? Why did he do this to me?

Leaving - how unfair.

As his friends and co-workers would sent notes and say wonderful things about him in these days, I missed him more. Of course, he was great - everyone who knew him - knew this.

Then I started to receive comments and notes from strangers. Unknown to me, but known to my father. Old college friends, previous co-workers, acquaintances, business associates......many with much affection for my father showing in their eyes. Some told me "He sure loved you! All he did was talk about you children. I still remember this love." Evidently he refused to leave me with a babysitter as an infant and took me to every party and event he and my mother attended. It was all or nothing. Others told me what a kind person he was to them at some point in their lives when they needed a friend.

Then I realized that my father was not "gone". He lived in every person that ever knew him. Not only his family.

He had touched many with his kind and loving behaviors. His living example.

I knew I needed to honor this love. His faith in me.

To be as good a mother as he was a father. To live by example.

To try to be a "good" person. To forgive myself when I fail.

By living with his light in my heart - he is a part of my life. Still here.

To "pay it forward."

We hope that we can help Melissa pay it forward too.

FT is making a small donation in her name to Covenant House , a charity chosen by her family.

Thank you to all for paying it forward by your participation and viewing of FT.

Comment

Working...
                    X