Living well without running water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living well without running water

I do have running water now, but not hot running water. And I've lived on multiple extended occasions without any running water at all. So I'd like to share some of the things I've learned over the years.

Water storage can be managed in many ways, but my favorite is the ordinary 5-gallon jug that you see in most US supermarkets holding high-priced tap water. I don't recommend buying those unless you need additional jugs in a hurry. Empty jugs can be purchased from Amazon and also sometimes from the companies who refill the jugs. That's where I got all but a couple of mine. One often hears concerns about BPA leaching into in the water. No doubt that is a legitimate concern, and for that reason, I've been replacing any that were noticeably worn with BPA-free versions from Amazon.

In addition, unless you have sufficient muscle to lift 40 pounds of jug and water and turn it over on top of a dispenser, I strongly recommend something called a Dolphin pump. It pushes down over the top of 3 and 5-gallon jugs and has a screw collar to adjust to minor variations in diameter. Pushing on the top creates a vacuum and pulls water up from the bottom of the jug. The pipe that goes in the jug is in two pieces, so one can be removed to allow the pump to be used in the smaller jugs. If you do buy one of these, make sure you get the real Dolphin brand pump, not one of the cheaper imitations. I've used these pumps for over five years, and have had zero problems with them.

This post is more about using water than how much to keep on hand, but have as much as you think necessary. I store fifty gallons in the house and fifty more in the root cellar, but I have livestock to water, and in the coldest days of winter I can't count on the rainwater system.

Living without hot running water is easier than it might sound, if you have a non-electric way to heat it. I cook and heat water with propane but I could also heat it with a solar oven or with black water hose. I don't recommend drinking hot water from garden hose, but it can make a good shower. I've seen at least one food-grade hose colored dark blue, so that could possibly be used to heat water for drinking. Getting water into a hose for heating is more of a problem, but there are bilge-type pumps with hose fittings that could be used for that purpose. I haven't used those myself, so I don't want to comment on them. My deep-well manual pump has a hose fitting, and that's how I would fill a hose if I needed to.

Once water is heated, I use three different ways to dispense it (and of course, these are good for dispensing cold water as well). Squirt and spray bottles that you can salvage from commercial preparations, or purchase empty, are indispensable. They allow you to direct a stream of water exactly where you want it with far more accuracy and less waste than pouring. A thermos jug with a push top (like the ones dispensing coffee in many places) keeps water hot for an extended period and can be positioned anywhere that a reliable supply of hot water would be needed, such as for handwashing. For showers, a 3-gallon agricultural sprayer that can be filled with warm water is extremely useful (obviously not one which has previously held chemicals!). I shower outside in the summer from water in a garden hose, but use the pressurized sprayer in the winter. Three gallons is far more than necessary if you're careful. I do have to pump it up a second time in the middle of the shower, but I'd rather do that than depend solely on sponge baths.

Reusing hot water where possible gets you two uses for one heating session. An easy way to do that in the winter is to fill a hot water bottle for each person at night, and then put the still warm water in a thermos bottle in the morning. It's fine for routine handwashing, even if it's not much more than body temperature. Babies will be much happier with face and bottom-washing with that than with cold water, lol.

Finally, I recommend that anyone who may have to manage without running water purchase as large a kettle as they can find. Lehman's sells them online and probably others do too. Mine is 2-plus gallons, and lets me heat water for dishwashing or filling my shower sprayer in one go.

I'd be interested in hearing how others have managed water usage too.

Re: Living well without running water

We usually have water, even when the power is out, since we're on a biggish community well. But hot water runs out eventually, so we keep a big kettle warming on the woodstove for washing. We also got a solar shower like this one http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5-Gall.../dp/B0009PUT20 to fill with hot water from the stove and hang in our shower stall.

This looks kind of neat too. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-hot-water-on

We don't have as much water stored as we should, but have a fairly clean river 1/4 away, and our neighbor has smaller wells in his pasture we can use. We're still shopping for a good filter system though.

Comment

We have a well, but if power goes out, the well pump goes down. We have an 'Amish bucket' so we can scoop water out of that well a few gallons at a time. However if power is off, our reverse osmosis won't run, so we have a Vortex Distiller so that water can be distilled.....tremendous effort for a very small bit of water! We also have a septic system, but if power goes down the ejection pump won't function....we would have to do our do-doo in a bucket and haul it out to the tank. It would be a tough way to live.

Comment

Originally posted by BestlaStormcrow View Post
        We also got a solar shower like this one http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5-Gall.../dp/B0009PUT20 to fill with hot water from the stove and hang in our shower stall.
        Have you used that Coleman shower much? I thought about getting one, but was discouraged by the experiece of several friends who said they wore out and began leaking pretty quickly. That's why I decided on the sprayer. It's more work, but everything except the tank itself can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaLisa View Post
          We have a well, but if power goes out, the well pump goes down. We have an 'Amish bucket' so we can scoop water out of that well a few gallons at a time. However if power is off, our reverse osmosis won't run, so we have a Vortex Distiller so that water can be distilled.....tremendous effort for a very small bit of water! We also have a septic system, but if power goes down the ejection pump won't function....we would have to do our do-doo in a bucket and haul it out to the tank. It would be a tough way to live.
          That Vortex distiller looks really interesting. What pressure cooker do you use it with? Lehman's has a stove top distiller that I've thought about saving up for, but I like the idea of the Vortex.

Have you thought about a sawdust toilet? I'm about to remove my flush toilet permanently. I hate pressurized water. I have a gravity fed septic system, but even that wouldn't be good for a really extended period. I want to get all discharges away from depending on it.

Comment

I have 2 presto cookers, the really big ones. I have not yet tried it out. I probably should figure out how to use it. Our water has high nitrates, so I assume it has other crud in it too. It's fine to shower with or for uses other than drinking or washing food. We also bought a rocket stove. Time to get this all out again and have a look at it.

Comment

I have a steam juicer. I'm thinking if I need to distill water, that would do it fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizw View Post
                Have you used that Coleman shower much? I thought about getting one, but was discouraged by the experiece of several friends who said they wore out and began leaking pretty quickly. That's why I decided on the sprayer. It's more work, but everything except the tank itself can be replaced.
                We haven't used it yet. Mostly for extra back up, and because it is easier to hang in the shower stall. We have a few sprayers around too, so we should be ok if the Coleman bag fails. It was only about $12 so pretty cheap to toss in the pantry.

Comment

Carrying 5-gallon jugs for very long (months or years) can take a toll on the back, causing fine little cracks in discs. I switched to smaller containers and my back was happier.

Another system involves having multiple larger barrels/tanks and using a small pump to move the water from barrels in a truck to barrels in a house.

Thankfully, I now have a well and septic, after almost 20 years of living without "indoor water".

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
                    Carrying 5-gallon jugs for very long (months or years) can take a toll on the back, causing fine little cracks in discs. I switched to smaller containers and my back was happier.

Another system involves having multiple larger barrels/tanks and using a small pump to move the water from barrels in a truck to barrels in a house.

Thankfully, I now have a well and septic, after almost 20 years of living without "indoor water".
                    My uncle and his family lived in Alaska for about 50 years, much of it without indoor plumbing. They had some war stories to tell, lol.

I move 5-gallon jugs with one of those fold-up hand trucks, sort of like a luggage carrier on steroids. It's so useful, in fact, that I think I'm going to buy a second one and put it away.

I also have 60-gallon food-safe barrels for rainwater collection. We put a hose fitting near the bottom of each one to make water retrieval easier. I have 11 of those in use, plus six more that I fill with water and keep in the greenhouse to help mediate the temperature in there.

Comment

I had to haul five gallon buckets of water a half mile in to where we were constructing a cabin. A good rain or heavy wet snow could make the road impassable. Buckets get heavy fast. I found it better to use a wagon or sled. Also it is a good idea to have lids for the food grade buckets so half the water doesn't spill out along the way.
                      We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizw View Post
                        My uncle and his family lived in Alaska for about 50 years, much of it without indoor plumbing. They had some war stories to tell, lol.

I move 5-gallon jugs with one of those fold-up hand trucks, sort of like a luggage carrier on steroids. It's so useful, in fact, that I think I'm going to buy a second one and put it away.

I also have 60-gallon food-safe barrels for rainwater collection. We put a hose fitting near the bottom of each one to make water retrieval easier. I have 11 of those in use, plus six more that I fill with water and keep in the greenhouse to help mediate the temperature in there.
                        You've got quite a system! Winters here aren't as cold as the past, so water jugs don't freeze as quickly. It's amazing how fast they can freeze when it's well below zero - then it takes almost 2 days to thaw them out! It's quite an educational experience that I find actually lessens my fear of a disruptive disaster.

"The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Amish Country View Post
                          I had to haul five gallon buckets of water a half mile in to where we were constructing a cabin. A good rain or heavy wet snow could make the road impassable. Buckets get heavy fast. I found it better to use a wagon or sled. Also it is a good idea to have lids for the food grade buckets so half the water doesn't spill out along the way.
                          Yep - things that only experience will teach us need to be on our survival list.

Everyone should try living without running water for a month!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaDenise View Post
                            Yep - things that only experience will teach us need to be on our survival list.

Everyone should try living without running water for a month!!!

Everyone should try it for a weekend, at least! It's the only way to really know that 1) there some irreduceable needs that must be planned for, and 2) many things that seem to be important really are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Amish Country View Post
                              Amen on the lids. I get five-gallon buckets from a dairy that makes flavored ice cream. They buy the flavorings in buckets, and carefully remove the lids so they can be reused. But the Omega lids are also very good to have on hand--the twp-piece ones with an outer ring that seats itself on the rim of the bucket, and then an inner piece that screws into the outer one.

When my daughter first moved out here, it took about six months to get the electrical hookup and inspection for her home, and she was living in it the whole time. We would load up my big cart with eight five-gallon buckets of water and wheel it down the driveway to her house.

Comment

Working...
                              X