Question-Answer about disinfectants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question-Answer about disinfectants

Anyone know what the contact time for hydrogen peroxide is, to kill the H5N1 virus against different dilutions ?. Thank you.

Re: H2O2 contact time for H5N1 ?

I hope you're not referring to IV. When that was tried in 1918, it was sometimes legal. see http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/02/sc...syahoo&emc=rss
    "The next major advancement in the health of American people will be determined by what the individual is willing to do for himself"-- John Knowles, Former President of the Rockefeller Foundation

Comment

No, I am referring to contact times for H5N1 surface decontamination.

Comment

AD, interesting and kinda scary article.

Alternatively, I'll take social distancing any day!

Comment

I suppose I really ought to apologise for staying on topic, but I do need to know the contact time for H202. Thank you.

Comment

I looked into H202 after reading the following webpage:
            Hydrogen Peroxide - Curse or Cure?

In fact, I've been wondering if maybe standard household vaporizers or humidifiers with some H2O2 added into the water might not be beneficial during a pandemic situation. (?)

A couple of interesting research links about H2O2:

The effect of microaerosolized hydrogen peroxide on bacterial and viral poultry pathogens.
            The effect of microaerosolized H2O2 on bacterial and viral poultry pathogens was investigated. Bacterial cultures and viruses were dried on sterile glass Petri dishes and subjected to direct and indirect 5% (H2O2) microaerosol mist. In the trials using Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus, the …

Efficacy of vaporized hydrogen peroxide against exotic animal viruses

(excerpt for above link)
            "Virus viability was assessed after exposure to vaporphase hydrogen peroxide for 30 min. For all viruses tested and under all conditions (except one), the decontamination process reduced the virus titer to 0 embryo-lethal doses for the avian viruses (avian influenza and Newcastle disease viruses) or less than 10 tissue culture infective doses for the mammalian viruses (African swine fever, bluetongue, hog cholera, pseudorabies, swine vesicular disease, vesicular exanthema, and vesicular stomatitis viruses). "

Comment

Good link emmysue!

The firs one quote
              For the viruses studied, 5% H2O2 (...) and avian influenza virus showed reduced infectivity but were not completely inactivated.
              In the second one the vaporized hydrogen peroxide seem efficient.

But I would suggest you 70% alcool or chlorine water. (If you want i'll verify the % for chlorine in lab tomorrow?) I would not trust peroxide exept if you want to breath a peroxide cloud for 30min !

In Quebec's lab, working with virus, 70%alcool and Microsol3 (a lab surface disinfectant) is used as a standard procedure.

Mingus

Comment

Thank you both for your reply. In UK standard dilutions for food grade H2O2 are 3% and I think 35%. I am wondering if the contact time would be noticably shorter with 35%, and what effect it would have on human skin, if any.

I

Comment

Ok that's 1/10 javel water that is used as chlorine.

I didn't find a reference but it is a common thought in labs over here that 70% is the better ratio of alcohol/water to disinfect, because at this %, the solution is more chaotropic!. (Will have the property to change the conformation of protein and to break cell membrane and wall.)
                  This property is useful, as Influenza is an envelopped virus.
                  Also, strong % of alcohol changes the conformation of Nucleic Acid which are less bio-usable.

I won't propose you use Methanol and Isopropanol if you need it close to a face because they are toxic.
                  Ethanol is more expensive but is more tolerated by the human body and is as potent for disinfection.

I know a lot of disinfectants are toxic.

The "Microsol3+" is a laboratory disinfectant that is made in UK (I think you are from there) that is Aldehyde free, Phenol Free, and biodegradable. Its Virucidal, Bactericidal, Fungicidal and Sporicidal property have been certified for many countries official microbiologocal protocols.

It acts like a super soap and some studies have shown it can destroy Nucleic acid also.

Mingus
                  Last edited by Mellie; May 23, 2006, 12:51 PM. Reason: practice

Comment

Thanks a lot Mingus for confirming the alcohol % range. I have ordered the H&S sheet for Microsol 3+ from the manufacturer and will now see about sourcing some. Yes I am in UK. Thanks again.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken...in America our rubbing alchohol (that can be purchased in grocery stores) all are Isopropanol..probably so people can't drink it (that's my guess).

-Hawkeye

Comment

[quote=Mingus]Ok that's 1/10 javel water that is used as chlorine.

For UK readers, 10% Javel water, is a 10% dilution of Sodium Hypo-chlorite. You will not find 10% in any UK supermarket, but it is available from Scat's farm shop with a 11% dilution, in 25 liter drums. The UK bleach situation is a bit wierd. If I can get a workshop on this forum, I will post something on the subject.

Thanks again Mingus !

Comment

It's for that legal reason. (I talk about isopropanol)

Never, Never drink that !
                          Last edited by Mingus; May 23, 2006, 06:55 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wake]
                            Originally posted by Mingus
                            Ok that's 1/10 javel water that is used as chlorine.

For UK readers, 10% Javel water, is a 10% dilution of Sodium Hypo-chlorite. You will not find 10% in any UK supermarket, but it is available from Scat's farm shop with a 11% dilution, in 25 liter drums. The UK bleach situation is a bit wierd. If I can get a workshop on this forum, I will post something on the subject.

Thanks again Mingus !

Sorry I mean, 1/10 dilution of the Javel we had in Lab and I think this one is 30% Sodium Hypo-chlorite. So I must be 3% Sodium Hypo-chlorite that you can use to spray on a desk for example. (be careful about your color :p )
                            Last edited by Mingus; May 23, 2006, 06:55 PM.

Comment

[quote=Mingus]
                              Originally posted by Wake

Sorry I mean, 1/10 dilution of the Javel we had in Lab and I think this one is 30% Sodium Hypo-chlorite. So I must be 3% Sodium Hypo-chlorite that you can use to spray on a desk for example. (be careful about yout color :p )
                              Mingus, I realised at once, that you were just checking to see if we were still awake .

I use the same dilutions as Hong Kong Health Authorities recommend, which is 5% for general surface decontamination and 10% for cleaning up infected blood, faeces and vomit. Don't forget goggles and an apron when you remix the bleach, or you could end up as Mingus says .... looking like a Dalmation .

Comment

Working...
                              X