Antibiotics are free at Meijer Pharmacies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antibiotics are free at Meijer Pharmacies

Leading Antibiotics are now FREE at your Meijer Pharmacy - No Strings Attached!

"Rising health care costs are having a dramatic impact on families across the country, especially here in the Midwest. Our free antibiotic program is the next step Meijer is taking to lead the industry toward improving the health of our customers. It is all about delivering higher standards."

-Mark Murray, Meijer president

The program covers leading, oral generic antibiotics with a special focus on the prescriptions most often filled for children. The following are FREE with your doctor's prescription, regardless of insurance or co-pay:

Amoxicillin
    Cephalexin
    SMZ-TMP
    Ciprofloxacin
    Ampicillin
    Penicillin VK
    Erythromycin

Prescription must be picked up at store in person. Maximum 14 day supply at normal dosage. List may be subject to change. Not valid with any other offer.

What the Experts Say...
    National health experts say that 40 percent of children who see a physician leave with a prescription. 'When appropriately prescribed, antibiotics are the leading tools to treat sick kids," said Dr. Herman Gray, fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics and president, Children's Hospital of Michigan.

Re: Antibiotics are free at Meijer Pharmacies

This is certainly a proactive step and a good business marketing tool. Perhaps it could be a model for the free distribution of antivirals in the event of a pandemic (if there were enough to go around) or vaccinations once the vaccine become available.
    http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fabulous. Great social benefit and marketing tool at the same time. I hope this business grows from this gesture and others take note.

Comment

I don't agree that this is a good thing. Most of those prescriptions are not based on culturing the organism and determining its sensitivity to the antibiotic. Instead, they are tossed out like darts at a dart board. Half the time antibiotics are prescribed for viral diseases. What this will accomplish is more antibiotic-resistant strains of common diseases.

Now, if they were giving out vaccines for childhood diseases, that would actually accomplish something.

Comment

wetDirt, I agree with you 100% that antibiotics are overprescribed in general. I was commenting on the concept of freely distributed pharmaceuticals to those who need them and perhaps can not afford them.
          http://novel-infectious-diseases.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think Meijers offering free antibiotics is to offset the affects of Walmart offering prescriptions for $4.
            Meijers may be seeing a drop in prescription drug purchases at their pharmacies.

Free antibiotics during a pandemic would be a godsend to those flu victims who are not working and have no cash.... provided Meijers Pharmacies remain open and their stock of antibiotics is adequate.

Comment

I seriously doubt if any pharmacy will be giving Tamiflu away (its not a antibiotic anyway) for free or $4 considering right now it is at US $56-100 per pack. I must be having wishful thinking! Guess if someone can save on other drugs then they can save up for Tamiflu. I have concerns about how much will be available this year since my guess is that there will be more prep buying by more people thus reducing supply.

TM

Originally posted by Jonesie
              I think Meijers offering free antibiotics is to offset the affects of Walmart offering prescriptions for $4.
              Meijers may be seeing a drop in prescription drug purchases at their pharmacies.

Free antibiotics during a pandemic would be a godsend to those flu victims who are not working and have no cash.... provided Meijers Pharmacies remain open and their stock of antibiotics is adequate.

Comment

Perhaps this would be an opportune time to replenish the supply of antibiotics in our medical preps. The only objection I have to utilizing the Meijer free antibiotic program to improve my preps is that I do not want to abuse a system that would help to serve the poor, whereas, while a cut into my budget, I could afford to purchase antibiotics at regular prices in competing pharmacies.

I do, however, believe that something may be learned from the Meijer program regarding future Tamiflu distribution (provided of course that Tamiflu remains effective against the potential pandemic). I also do not believe that Tamiflu would be given away free to those with health insurance. Perhaps to those without coverage it will be free? If the intent were to stop a pandemic from spreading, it would be illogical to only have Tamiflu available for those who can afford the price.

Just my thoughts as I am new to this place.

Comment

Welcome Princess Caraboo.

Comment

Thank you AnneZ

Comment

Welcome Princess Caraboo.

Comment

This medication program is not for only those who are economically challenged. It's for everyone who do not have RX insurance. By participating in this RX program it in no way will prevent those with extensive ro long term needs from receiving the same opportunity as yourself. The opposite is true. If the program is successful then it will encourage that particular company as well as others to offer simular medication programs. Believe me there is a significant mark up on medications both prescription and over the counter products. When someone uses the $4 RX program they will most likely purchase other items that the store has as well. The company has a major factor n enticing perspective pts to use their pharmacy as well as to establish and enhance the 'good will ' factor of their business which is of MAJOR importance and is a very real economic of the business. This of the word of mouth advertisement that Meijer and Walmart pharmacies are having with this new program. It is really priceless for them. How often do you think we would be discussing Meijer pharmacy if it was not for the free medications. You nor anyone else is hurting the poor or the company in any way. The company would not be foolish to offer a business practice that in some way would hurt those with economic need that would be such negative public relations. As for Walmart they are also re-establishing good will and positive public relations as well with their program. It is helpful to all and it is also GOOD business practice. I admire you for wanting to help preserve the resource for those in need even at your own expense but fear not these major pharmacy players have enough for all to get what they can right now. Additionally there are enormous incentives by these pharmacy companies to buy this generic products etc. It also boots sales of tally of RXs that look good to stock holders as well. This is a win-win activity that al can take some positive advantage of. Enjoy it while it lasts and stock up!
                        TM

Originally posted by Princess Caraboo
                        Perhaps this would be an opportune time to replenish the supply of antibiotics in our medical preps. The only objection I have to utilizing the Meijer free antibiotic program to improve my preps is that I do not want to abuse a system that would help to serve the poor, whereas, while a cut into my budget, I could afford to purchase antibiotics at regular prices in competing pharmacies.

I do, however, believe that something may be learned from the Meijer program regarding future Tamiflu distribution (provided of course that Tamiflu remains effective against the potential pandemic). I also do not believe that Tamiflu would be given away free to those with health insurance. Perhaps to those without coverage it will be free? If the intent were to stop a pandemic from spreading, it would be illogical to only have Tamiflu available for those who can afford the price.

Just my thoughts as I am new to this place.

Comment

Working...
                        X