emergency food prep list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• emergency food prep list

The LDS Church has put together this list as a basic bare bones prep list. It has an easy to adjust calculator for the number of persons you are prepping included. Lest you think 300 pounds of wheat seems like a lot, it works out to a loaf of bread 3 inches high by 4 inches long per day. The beans works to something like 2/3s of a cup/day. But, I am forced to add that it makes a fabulous jumping off point. The Church also makes dried food available to non church members. There is a web-site you can go to allowing anyone to order the mostly dried/canned goods. Again a great place to start at a very reasonable price.

Link to calculator

Link to order form
    An official Church site providing information relating to self-reliance and welfare, including food storage, emergency preparedness, education, employment, resources,

Another good place to order wheat from.

Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Re: emergency food prep list & recipes

For those of you using the wheat based food preps, I need to add a gentle reminder that abruptly changing your diet from a typical western one to a grain based diet will give you a nasty tummy ache. The switch needs to be made over a few weeks. That said I thought I'd add some pointers as to how to use the whole grains and legumes.

A fairly wide range of flavors is key to avoiding food fatigue. Since most of us are doing this as inexpensively as possible, a large number of meals are going to have a limited amount of meat or none at all. One way to add interest without breaking the bank is to understand what makes food satisfying. It isn't just the amount but the flavor as well. Over 90 years ago a researcher in Japan figured out humans have 5 tastes rather than the 4 westerners were taught. They include , salt, sour, sweet, bitter and umami. That last one you have probably been reading about lately. Umami is the taste that makes us think satisfying. Foods rich in umami absolutely must be included in our preps!

Below are two tables with the amounts of glutamate and nucleotides occurring naturally in raw and process foods. Keep these in mind when creating your next signature dish and bring out the umami flavor!

Umami is scientifically recognized as one of the five basic flavors, as are sweet, sour, salty and bitter. To truly elevate the flavors of your dishes, we’ll explain you the science behind umami, which foods are naturally rich in umami flavor and discuss how some of the top chefs in the world are bringing out umami in signature dishes.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Re: emergency food prep list

Instead of pomegranite seeds a prepper might use dried craisins. ( dried sweetened cranberry)

Wheat Berry Salad

<META content=2014-01-10 itemprop="datePublished"></SECTION><SECTION class="lead-overview section">

</SECTION>
      <SECTION class="ingredients-instructions recipe-instructions section">Ingredients
      • 1 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
      • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
      • 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
      • 1/2 cup tart dried cherries, chopped
      • 1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
      • 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
      • 3 tablespoons olive oil
      • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
      • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
      Directions

In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool. Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
      In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
      Calories 360; Total Fat 17 g; (Sat Fat 2 g, Mono Fat 6 g, Poly Fat 8 g) ; Protein 9 g; Carb 46 g; Fiber 8 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 15 mg
      Excellent source of: Fiber, Vitamin K, Manganese
      Good source of: Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Copper, Iron

wheatberry Waldorf Salad

• <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl01$cbxIngredi ent> 2 cups wheat berries
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl02$cbxIngredi ent> 6 cups water, or as needed
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl03$cbxIngredi ent> 2 apples, chopped
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl04$cbxIngredi ent> 1 cup raisins
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl05$cbxIngredi ent> 1 cup chopped walnuts
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl06$cbxIngredi ent> 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl07$cbxIngredi ent> 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol1$ctl08$cbxIngredi ent> 1/3 cup apple juice
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl01$cbxIngredi ent> 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl02$cbxIngredi ent> 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl03$cbxIngredi ent> 2 tablespoons lemon juice
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl04$cbxIngredi ent> 1/2 teaspoon salt
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl05$cbxIngredi ent> 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl06$cbxIngredi ent> 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
        </LABEL>
      • <LABEL><INPUT id=cbxIngredient type=checkbox name=ctl00$CenterColumnPlaceHolder$recipeTest$reci pe$ingredients$rptIngredientsCol2$ctl07$cbxIngredi ent> 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
        </LABEL>
      <!-- Add class btn-disable before user checks ingredient-->
      Check All Add to Shopping List

Thank you,
      Shannon Bennett

Comment

The following recipes can be altered by using dried vegetables rather than fresh. The squash and root vegetables can be stored in cool pantries for months making them a welcome addition to preps.

Wheat berry chili recipe

By Jolinda Hackett

See More About<Q></Q>

See More About
        Wheat berries add healthy whole grains and texture to this filling vegetable chili recipe. Never cooked with wheat berries before? This easy wheat berry chili recipe is a good place to start, as chili is a familiar and easy to cook meal.
        Wheat berry chili recipe and photo courtesy of the Wheat Foods Council.See also: More homemade vegetarian chili recipes

Ingredients:
        • 1 cup wheat berries
        • 3 cups water
        • 1 large onion, chopped
        • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
        • 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
        • 4 tsp chili powder, or to taste
        • 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
        • 1/8 tsp black pepper
        • 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
        • 1 - 28 ounce can tomatoes, diced
        • 2 cups vegetable broth
        • 1 - 15 ounce can kidney beans
        • 1 - 15 ounce can white beans
        • salt, to taste
        Preparation:

Cook wheat berries in 3 cups of water for 1 hour until tender; add more water if necessary, drain. Rinse wheat berries with cool water and drain thoroughly.
        In the microwave on medium heat, cook onion, green and yellow pepper for 1 minute, or until desired softness.
        In a 4-quart pot, combine remaining ingredients with microwaved vegetables. On stovetop, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered 1 hour or until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
        This vegetarian wheat berry chili recipe makes 8 servings.
        Nutritional information:
        Each serving provides approximately: 220 calories, 13 g protein, 45 g carbohydrates, 11 g fiber, 1 g fat (0 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 19 mcg folate, 4 mg iron, 845 mg sodium.</BR.>With just over 200 calories per serving, this vegetarian wheat berry chili recipe is also a low calorie, low-fat and high-protein vegetarian recipe.

Healthy whole grains star in this colorful recipe, which pairs wheat berries -- whole wheat kernels -- and roasted root vegetables. Enjoy as a side dish

Wheat Berries with Roasted Parsnips, Butternut Squash & Dried Cranberries

1 cup (6 oz./185 g.) wheat berries, rinsed
        Salt and freshly ground pepper
        3 parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm.) pieces
        1 small butternut squash, halved, seeded, peeled and cut into 12-inch (12-mm.) pieces
        1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch (12-mm.) pieces
        5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
        1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml.) olive oil, plus more as needed
        2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
        1/2 cup (3/4 oz./20 g.) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
        1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g.) dried cranberries
        2 green onions, dark and light green parts, chopped

In a pot, combine 3 1/2 cups (28 fl. oz./875 ml.) water, the wheat berries and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain and place in a large bowl.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450&#186;F (220&#186;C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Put the parsnips, squash, red onion and garlic on the prepared sheet. Drizzle with the 1/4 cup (2 fl. oz./60 ml.) oil and the vinegar and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring once, until the vegetables are caramelized and fork-tender, about 25 minutes. Peel the roasted garlic, break into small pieces and return to the sheet.

Add the roasted vegetables to the bowl with the wheat berries and stir to combine. Add the parsley, cranberries and green onions and mix well. Drizzle with additional oil if the mixture needs more moisture. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4-6.

Thank you,
        Shannon Bennett

Comment

Sprouted Wheat Berry Salad - Mediterranean Style St. Ignatius was bishop of Antioch, the Syrian city on the Mediterranean. A Mediterran...

Sprouted Wheat Berry Recipes

• Sprouted Wheat Berry Salad - Mediterranean Style
          St. Ignatius was bishop of Antioch, the Syrian city on the Mediterranean. A Mediterranean style salad using the wheat berries is a fitting feast day side dish or lunch. Directions for sprouting wheat berries shared in this previous post.

1 cup sprouted wheat berries 1/2 cup kalamata olives (sliced)
          1/4 pine nuts 1/4 cup feta (grated)
          1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (diced)
          1/8 cup fresh basil (chopped)
          1 T. olive oil
          1 t. balsamic vinegar

You can either use sprouted wheat berries raw or cook them. The tastes and textures vary slightly depending on how you use them - cooked slightly sweeter and a little chewier, raw more nutty flavor and slightly crisper. Both ways are good. If you cook wheat berries, put in saucepan with water to cover. Allow to boil. Take off heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Drain and cool.

To make the salad simply mix all ingredients together in bowl. Chill and serve. Make approx. 4 servings.
          • Sprouted Wheat Berry Bread Stick Croziers
          Bread is one of the common uses of sprouted wheat berries. It can be made solely using the wheat berries ground or a combination of wheat berries chopped and wheat flour. If using only sprouted berries, they should be barely sprouted (about 48 hrs.) and not have developed the 1/4 inch tail. If chopped and added to a bread dough with flour can be more sprouted.

The staff or crosier is a common symbol of bishops, and since St. Ignatius was bishop of Antioch, following St. Peter a fun idea is to make crozier shaped bread sticks.

1 1/2 T yeast
          1 cup warm water
          1/4 cup oil
          1 1/2 t. salt
          2 T honey
          1 egg
          1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
          3 -3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
          1/2 - 3/4 cup sprouted wheat berries (chopped)

Sprinkle yeast over 1/4 cup water and, when dissolved, add remaining 3/4 cup water, oil, salt, honey, and egg. Beat smooth with wooden spoon. Beat in dry milk and 2 cups flour and wheat berries, then gradually mix in remaining flour until it is completely absorbed into dough. Dough will be somewhat sticky.

Cover and rest for 15 minutes. Shape as desired and let rise 1 hour.

For Bread Sticks: use refrigerated dough because it is easier to handle. Pinch off about 3 tablespoons dough or a 3-inch ball and roll into a log about 10 inches long and just under 1/2 inch around. curve end to shape into crozier. Place on oiled baking sheet. Cover and let rise about 1 hour. Bake for 10-12 minutes

Thank you,
          Shannon Bennett

Comment

Tuscan Wheat Berry Soup With Cannellini Beans
            • <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1 1/2 cups uncooked wheat berries or spelt <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">4 cups water <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">3 garlic cloves, minced <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1 large onion, quartered <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1 carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">2 tablespoons olive oil <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1 (14 1/2-ounce) can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1 cup dry white wine <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained, divided <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">3 (15.75-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1/2 teaspoon salt <LI class="spx_inspected_extr spx_global" itemtype="http://data-vocabulary.org/RecipeIngredient" itemscope="" itemprop="ingredient">1/4 teaspoon black pepper
            Preparation

Soak wheat berries in water for 3 hours; drain.
            Place celery, garlic, onion, and carrot in a food processor; process until vegetables are finely chopped.
            Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion mixture; saut? 15 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in rosemary and tomatoes. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes.
            Place wine and 1 can beans in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Add bean mixture to vegetable mixture. Stir in chicken broth; bring to a boil. Stir in wheat berries; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until wheat berries are tender-crunchy. Stir in salt, pepper, and remaining can of beans. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.

Thank you,
            Shannon Bennett

Comment

Despite the length of this post, this is a very efficient, nutritious and easy way to make breakfast.

Simply by starting the sprouting process the nutritional value of wheat is multiplied many times over and it becomes very easily assimilated and useable by the body.
              Ingredients

A 1 quart jar wide mouth jar
              A screen of some type for the jar
              A stainless steel thermos
              1 ? Cups Wheat Berries (seeds)
              Water
              Raw Nuts
              Raisins
              Fresh Fruit
              Honey

Directions

WHEAT BERRY SURPRISE
              (Takes 1 ? days from beginning to finished recipe.)

This recipe will serve 2 adults.

Begin this process 36 hours before intending to eat. (We soak new wheat every day. We fill our thermos every evening while we prepare dinner, and we cover it with boiling water. It?s become routine). The grain placed in the thermos the night before is ready to eat the next morning.

In a 1 quart jar place 1 ? cups of dry wheat seeds, (our preference is the, ?soft? wheat berry. This is also called ?pastry? wheat)?but the soft wheat berry gives the best results. You may also try other types of wheat, they all turn out a little different. Or you may vary the grain using hulled barley or whole oats (hulled barley and whole oats only need to soak 12 hours?they require no sprout time?simply soak, rinse, and place in thermos and proceed as below). You can also experiment with other types of grain. We like soft wheat best.

Cover the wheat you have measured in the jar with plenty of water. Set jar on the counter for 12 hours to allow time for the wheat to soak.

After 12 hours, drain the wheat well and rinse the wheat. Turn jar on its side to begin the sprouting process. Leave set for 12 hours.

After 12 hours rinse the grain well.

Pour the grain into a stainless steel thermos.

Bring 1 ? to 2 cups of water to a boil. Pour boiling water over the grain which has been placed in the thermos?the boiling water should cover all the grain to a level above the grain by about 1 inch.

Secure the lid to the thermos tightly. Shake or agitate the thermos a little to make sure all berries are surrounded by the hot water.

Set thermos on the counter until morning.

If you want to repeat this process so that you will have grain ready for the day after this is ready: It?s now time to refill the original quart jar with more dry wheat and let it set for the 12 hours it needs to soak. (Simply repeat the process.).

Also, if you want to add soaked nuts to the cereal next morning, now is the time to chose a variety of raw nuts to soak overnight. By soaking them the night before, they will be ready when you need them in the morning. (Note: soaked nuts are deliciously wonderful in this cereal.)

We like to use an equal mixture of almonds, walnuts and pecans. Be sure you use only RAW nuts. Using the raw nuts in this way gives you the natural fats and oils in a raw, unprocessed state?.it is in this state that your body can easily assimilate and use these essential oils.

Assembling your Wheat Berry Surprise
              In the morning: Drain the nuts, rinse and chop. We use a small food processor to quickly chop the nuts?(and actually, we soak and chop enough nuts at one time to last for a few days at a time. We store the excess nuts in a container which we place in the refrigerator for future use).

When you open the thermos after having let it set over night, the wheat will be very soft, and sometimes it will have popped open. It should be soft and chewy.

You can drain the liquid off the wheat at this point or you can choose to use it for liquid in your Berry Surprise. This liquid is full of nutritional elements?therefore, I try to use it.

Pour the grain into a bowl. It will still be warm. Top with your favorite toppings (see suggestions below).

(Note: Sometimes before pouring the grain into a bowl I will pour the soft wheat berries into a blender along with the liquid they were soaked in, adding a few raisins, and blend it all up to the consistency of course oatmeal, I then pour this mixture into a bowl and top it as suggested below. Doing this saves some chewing effort.) (But it?s not a favorite way to prepare it.)

Top the grain in your bowl with your choice of any or all of the following to taste:
              * 3 or 4 heaping teaspoons of the chopped soaked nuts,
              * some raisins,
              * dates,
              * a chopped banana,
              * some chopped apple, or grated apple,
              * sprinkle in some cinnamon,
              * add peaches,
              * strawberries
              * or any fruit that is in season.

There is no end to the variety you can create as you choose from the variety of fresh fruits available according to the season. You may also use frozen blueberries.

If you desire, you can stir the entire mixture of fruit, grain and nuts. Or you can leave a layered effect if that is your preference.

It?s now time to drizzle your Wheat Berry Surprise with a little raw honey to taste.

Thank you,
              Shannon Bennett

Comment

The little seeds at the end of the wheat stalk are what go into flour, but you can also use them in their unmilled form.

Honey-Rosemary Beer Bread
                Yield: 4 servings
                3 cups whole-wheat flour
                1 tablespoon baking powder
                1 teaspoon salt
                1 (12-ounce) bottle of beer (lager)
                1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
                3 tablespoons honey
                4 tablespoons butter, divided
                1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
                2. Grease a 9-by-5 loaf pan with 1 tablespoon of butter.
                3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.
                4. Mix the beer, rosemary and honey into the dry ingredients.
                5. Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Whisk the butter into the mixture.
                6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Gently tap the pan on the counter to even out the mixture and remove any air bubbles.
                7. Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.
                8. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
                9. Slice and serve with butter and salt.
                Wheat-Berry Tabbouleh
                Yield: 4 servings
                1 cup wheat berries, presoaked for eight hours (if possible) and drained
                1 small cucumber, peeled and cored to remove seeds, then diced
                1 pint (about 2 cups) baby heirloom or grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
                4 scallions, thinly sliced
                1 cup tightly packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
                ? cup tightly packed mint leaves
                3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
                3 tablespoons lemon juice
                2 tablespoons salt, divided
                Black pepper
                1. Add wheat berries, 4 cups of water and a tablespoon of salt to a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer, then cook for 45 to 50 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
                2. Place the cucumber, tomatoes and scallions in a large bowl.
                3. Finely chop the parsley and mint together, and add them to the large bowl.
                4. Add the cooled wheat berries to the mixture, and mix in the olive oil and lemon juice.
                5. Add remaining salt and pepper to taste.
                6. Serve at room temperature.

Thank you,
                Shannon Bennett

Comment

Tips for cooking with beans:

Soaking beans for a few hour prior to cooking may decrees the amount of cooking time and the amount of energy needed to cook them. Some cooks soak beans overnight.

Smaller dried beans and peas take less time and energy to cook than larger ones.

A pressure cooker designed to cook food (not for canning) can be used to cook beans in significantly less time using less energy. A pressure cooker must be constantly monitored while in use. If the vent clogs and pressure in the pressure cooker is allowed to build to unsafe levels there could be serious problems including property damage, injury or worse.

It is a good idea to carefully sort through dried beans and peas before washing and cooking them to get rid of any small rocks, spoiled or moldy beans and other rubbish.

Beans and grains served together in one meal make a more complete protein similar in nutritional value to meat.

In traditional Japanese cooking a piece of Kambu (a type of dried seaweed) is added to beans during the cooking process to help make them more digestable.*

In traditional Italian cooking a bay is leaf added during the cooking process to help make beans and grains more digestable.*

*Christina Cooks was a TV cooking show on micro biotic cooking that I really liked. Her cook book has a lot of recipes using beans.
                  Last edited by Amish Country; January 28, 2014, 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling
                  We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
                  X