• Show
Clear All

• recipe for Grandma's Chicken soup - relieve cold and flu symptoms

At BFBN, from "EM": http://scienceblogs.com/effectmeasur..._challenge.php
    NBC6.NET:

Researchers: Chicken Soup Recipe Helps Relieve Colds, Flu

POSTED: 3:48 pm EST November 29, 2006
    UPDATED: 3:50 pm EST November 29, 2006

Imagine a soup recipe that could help you stay healthy during cold and flu season.

Researchers at the University of Nebraska came up with the following recipe, which they say can relieve cold and flu symptoms.

1-5 lb chicken
    3 large onions
    1 large sweet potato
    3 parsnips
    2 turnips
    12 large carrots
    6 celery stalks
    1 bunch parsley
    Salt and pepper to taste

Clean the chicken, put it in a large pot and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to boil. Add the chicken wings, onions, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips and carrots. Boil about 1 and a half hours. Remove fat from the surface as it accumulates. Add the parsley and celery. Cook the mixture about 45 min. longer. Remove the chicken. The chicken is not used further for the soup.

For more information on the study and the chicken soup recipe, visit http://www.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/chickensoup/newsrelease.htm.

Re: recipe for Grandma's Chicken soup - relieve cold and flu symptoms

I'd like to encourage you to add a pinch of dried or fresh thyme to the soup. It appears to have some interesting antiviral properties, and it tastes good.
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Shelf Stable Chicken Soup Recipe
      For a Pandemic or prolonged emergency

2 cup dried Rice
      Water
      1 – 12 oz can Chicken meat
      2 – 15 oz can Mixed Vegetables
      Pepper, dried Parsley and Onion powder to taste
      Pinch of dried Thyme

Unless using enriched rice, wash the rice (provided clean drinking water is not in short supply). If using Converted rice cook according to package instructions. Otherwise, put the rice and 4 ½ cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover the rice and simmer until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed (about 20 minuets). DO NOT PEEK AT THE RICE DURING THE COOKING PROCESS! Open the cans. Check the chicken and remove any bones, grizzle or inedible parts. Make sure the vegetables are safe to eat also. Add the remaining to ingredients to taste. Stir the soup to keep it from scorching on the bottom. Add water as needed. For variation cooked pasta can be substituted for the cooked rice.

This recipe will not be as tasty as the one Topical listed above. It is made with all shelf stable ingredients that are probably not too difficult for most of us to come by. It only requires three cans from your preps. The recipe does not call for salt because there is probably enough in the canned veggies and meat. It is easy to make and only requires: the ingredients, a measuring cup (or 8 oz coffee cup), a pot with a lid, a spoon, bowls and spoons to eat it with. This should supply 4 adult sized meals.

If we are planning for a long term emergency in most homes I expect the fresh foods will disappear quickly and shelf stable foods will have to be used very fugally, depending on the length of the emergency.
      We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Basic Chicken Stock
        This is the recipe I use for stock when a chicken carcass is not available. Right now I can get chicken legs and thighs for less than a $1.00USD a pound. It is cheap and available so I use it. Chicken stock is one of those things I like to have on hand. While it can be pressure canned or frozen for later use, it usually does not last that long.
        Three or four chicken legs and thighs
        2 bay leaves (dried)
        2 or three carrots - chopped
        3 ribs of celery or the inner heart of the celery - chopped
        2 onions - chopped
        salt (a pinch)
        water to cover

I put everything in the crock pot, put the cover on it and set it to cook at low - 10 hours. If the bones squish into mush when I squeeze them between my fingers the stock is done. The stock is strained and reserved for later use. I separate the meat from the bones and veggies. The meat is saved the rest is tossed. We mix the spent meat with rice and veggies or an apple for our dog.

Since it is flu season here in the US I thought this thread could use a bump.
        We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.

Comment

Working...
        X