Clear All

• Easy Chicken Broth

Easy Chicken Broth
    1 package chicken thigh meat
    2 bay leaves
    2 or 3 onions quartered
    2 or 3 ribs of celery
    1 carrot good size
    water to fill crock pot enough so meat is covered and excess will not boil over.

I put all ingredients in my crock pot, set the cook time for low 10 hour cook. My crock pot will not turn off, it will keep the broth warm so it will not spoil if I don't get back to it in exactly 10 hours. Cook for 2 days or 48 hours. The ends of the bones should crumble when pressed gently between two fingers. Then I debone the meat for the dog, toss the spent veggies and pressure can the broth that will not immediately be used. The resulting broth is dark and rich and the smell fills the house.

Chicken Corn Soup
    This is a staple in Amish County and makes a regular appearance at church fellowship meals and Fire House fund raising dinners. It is an economical way to get an exrta meal out of a chiken and strech the grocery buget just a little further. Some people doctor the recipe by adding onions, celery and noodles. Purists consider this heresy.
    1 pint chicken broth
    1 package frozen corn
    left over cooked chicken cut into bite sized pieces (smaller if there is not a lot).
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat in sauce pan or pot until hot. Stir gently to prevent scorching. More water may have to be added. Recipe can be doubled and usually is.
    We were put on this earth to help and take care of one another.
Working...
X