Homeschool Supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homeschool Supplies

At this point most of us do not know what our local schools have planned in the event of an extended school closing. In the event your school does not have a plan, there is an inexpensive option you may want to have on hand in the event of an emergency.

There is a series of books called "What your _____ needs to know" Fill in the blank with the grade level of your child. This is only available for K-8th grade. This is a good basic book that will guide you through in an emergency.

You can pick them up at almost any bookstore. I've recently seen them at a well known online bookstore for $10.00 and used ones for as little as a dollar or less. It is inexpensive enough that everyone can afford to add it to their preps.

If you decide to purchase these books, please take the time to look through them. You may decide to make a list of additional purchases to make at a later date and only if necessary.

*Note - As a veteran homeschooler, I do not use this series and I would only recommend these books as a basic core education. The more comprehensive curriculums cost much more and would not work as a contingency plan for families who would only homeschool in an emergency.
    "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Re: Homeschool Supplies

Rainbow Resources is high quality supplier of homeschooling supplies. Their catalog is about 2" thick (1189 pages) and almost all of 35,000 items has a description. They sell just about everything from curriculum to microscopes at Walmart like prices.

Their website can be difficult to navigate if you are just browsing, but you can request a catalog at www.rainbowresource.com, just click 'catalog' at the bottom of the page or call 888-841-3456 or 800-705-8809.
    "We are in this breathing space before it happens. We do not know how long that breathing space is going to be. But, if we are not all organizing ourselves to get ready and to take action to prepare for a pandemic, then we are squandering an opportunity for our human security"- Dr. David Nabarro

Comment

Originally posted by MHSC
      *Note - As a veteran homeschooler, I do not use this series and I would only recommend these books as a basic core education. The more comprehensive curriculums cost much more and would not work as a contingency plan for families who would only homeschool in an emergency.
      We are also "veteran" homeschoolers. This coming year will be our 9th year. One thing we have noted is that our children rarely get the community acquired cold/flu that is going around the local public and private schools.

Schools will certainly be a vector in a pandemic, which is why so many community pandemic plans call for extended closings of all schools.

If you are considering homeschooling, its is a worthwhile and rewarding endeavor, and one small way of prepping your family for social distancing. (Ironic, that the most oft heard criticism of homeschooling was, "What about socialization?" That may come to be its highest praise in a pandemic.)

Comment

Not to get to far off track, but high quality 'socialization' is one of the reasons why I homeschool.

Since we do most of the homework in school, my kids are free to spend alot of time out in the 'real world', socializing with all age groups, not stuck in a classroom staring out the window with the same group of kids their own age 180 days out of the year.

I'm not dissing anyone, homeschooling is not easy, it is a big responsibility and it is not for everyone, you have to do what works best for your family, and sometimes that is public, private or charter school.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSC
          Not to get to far off track, but high quality 'socialization' is one of the reasons why I homeschool.

Since we do most of the homework in school, my kids are free to spend alot of time out in the 'real world', socializing with all age groups, not stuck in a classroom staring out the window with the same group of kids their own age 180 days out of the year.
          I agree completely. "What about Socialization?!?" is a red herring. Proper socialization is one of the greatest merits of homeschooling.

Comment

Right now is the time to purchase all your basic supplies, such as, paper, pencils, glue, crayons and ect.. I do this every year and buy enough for the entire year for only about 20.00 or so. It is the only time of year you can do this at such low prices. I buy now for all the school projects they may have over the year. A good time to stock up.

Comment

Ditto re. socialization.

For anyone in Australia who is homeschooling (as we are), a great starter is www.coroneos.com.au or www.basicskillsseries.com. Their fabulous booklets/worksheets are available at some newsagents and are the booklets that many teachers photocopy endlessly.

Comment

As a mom who is walking the fence of home vs. public school education, (more leaning toward the homeschool option) what comprehensive curriculum would you suggest and what source would you recommend to purchase it from? I have missed the regional homeschool fair and have been reading catalogs and forums til my eyes are buggy! Thanks for any insight!
                Last edited by NurseNalts; August 17, 2006, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X