WHO warns on another H1N1 epidemic outbreak
Publish date/time: 07/04/2011 [11:02]

Share One person has died in an influenza outbreak on Rotuma last month and the World Health Organisation has warned that a second wave of the H1N1 Epidemic is likely to occur within the next three months based on current regional trends.

WHO Disease Communicable Disease expert Dr Jacob Kool confirmed that 186 influenza cases were recorded on Rotuma from March 4 to March 10.

He said of these cases, six were confirmed H1N1 with a high prevalence in 11 to 12 year olds.

He added only one death was recorded and the patient was a 30-year-old man with no history of risks such as diabetes, heart disease or obesity.

Permanent Secretary Dr Sala Saketa asked why the patient died and whether he was treated with the recommended drug, Tamiflu.

She was told that the release of Tamiflu to patients took time and the patient could not be evacuated until two weeks after the onset of the illness.


Story by: Selina Navuso


http://www.fijivillage.com/?mod=stor...0690555cd58b4d