Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lupus patients should consult their doctor before getting the vaccine against influenza A (H1N1)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lupus patients should consult their doctor before getting the vaccine against influenza A (H1N1)

    http://www.elfinanciero.com.mx/ElFin...cid&sortby=ASC

    Lupus patients inquire about influenza vaccine
    Flu alert - Thursday 7 January (10:30 hrs.)


    The disease affects directly affects the immune system weakens and causes inflammation in vital organs like lungs and brain, say
    Vaccinated with live active may cause more complications, said Dr. Mario Perez Cristobal


    El Financiero en l?nea

    Mexico, Jan. 7 .- Lupus patients should consult their doctor before getting the vaccine against influenza A (H1N1), because it directly affects the lupus immune system weakens and causes inflammation in vital organs like lungs and brain, said Dr. Mario Perez Cristobal.

    The physician assigned to the Rheumatology Service of the Hospital of the Siglo XXI IMSS recognized that these patients are vulnerable to pandemic influenza and other infections, but vaccination with live active they can cause more complications.

    "It is important that the patient is monitored to see whether to get vaccinated against influenza A (H1N1). The lupus patients have to go to your doctor to indicate whether they can apply or not the vaccine, because it depends on treatment applied to the patient, "he said.

    Christopher Perez acknowledged that because lupus patients are considered at-risk population, there is some controversy regarding the application of vaccines.

    "Usually vaccines are live attenuated viruses, which are viruses that are removed a little virulence, which are placed so that the patient has antibodies and can protect against these infections in patients with lupus would not be the ideal, and will depend on how the disease is, "he said.

    With regard to lupus, announced that affects vital organs like lungs, kidneys, heart and liver, among others, but most often is in the skin.

    However, when it affects the lungs and causes bleeding, 90 percent of patients may die and the remaining 10 percent will survive because it detected in time, at the onset of the disease and was given intensive treatment.

    In the brain may have seizures, because it ignites, as the initial manifestation is treatable and usually the patient does die, although serious, giving time to start treatment, he said.

    The doctor explained that this disease is not curable but it is controllable, and continuous monitoring is very important as the treatments go directly to the immune system like lupus and affects this system, patients are more susceptible to infections, which are the main reason for relapse.

    Lupus is a disease that strikes young people, especially women in the second, third and fourth decades of life. It affects fewer men, but when she does it more seriously, the doctor said.

    The rheumatologist said that the variability of the disease is related to the genetic factor that predisposes him or that the immune system loses tolerance feature.

    Reported that in the Siglo XXI IMSS around 500 lupus patients with continuous monitoring, and that this condition is most prevalent issue in the Rheumatology Service, representing the third reason for consultation in the hospital.

    "Roughly it is estimated that a patient with lupus per hundred thousand inhabitants and of these four women by a male. This disease is highly prevalent and can sometimes be confused with other diseases because it is difficult to diagnose," concluded . (Con informaci?n de Notimex / AYV)
Working...
X