Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/H1N1 deaths- total 62 in Saudi Arabia

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A/H1N1 deaths- total 62 in Saudi Arabia

    Source: http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index...=2009093050253


    Three more swine flu deaths in the Kingdom
    Saudi Gazette report

    RIYADH ? Swine flu in the Kingdom has claimed three more lives, the Ministry of Health announced here Tuesday raising the overall death toll in the country from the epidemic to 29.
    Two men and one woman, all Saudi, died of swine flu, the ministry said in a statement offering condolences to the families of the deceased, Saudi Press Agency (SPA) said.
    On Monday, the ministry said only a few cases and no deaths were reported among millions of Muslim pilgrims during the holy month of Ramadan despite fears of a massive outbreak.
    Just 26 cases of the deadly flu were reported in Makkah and Madina during Ramadan which ended on Sept. 20, the ministry said.
    Several million Saudis and foreigners had descended on Islam?s two holiest cities to perform Umrah or minor pilgrimage.
    Another two cases were reported in the northern and southern border regions, where many pilgrims pass on their way to Makkah from neighboring countries, it said.
    ?The ministry of health continues to follow closely the disease among pilgrims and visitors from all areas through epidemiological surveillance and laboratory diagnosis of suspected cases,? it said.
    Epidemiologists feared a massive outbreak of swine flu among pilgrims at the peak Umrah period during the fasting month.
    Saudis and global health authorities are still concerned about the possibility of an outbreak during the Haj -- the annual major pilgrimage ? in late November.
    Some two million foreigners and possibly as many Saudis are expected to descend on Makkah for the Haj, which takes place in the middle of Northern Hemisphere?s winter flu season.

  • #2
    Re: 4 more A/H1N1 deaths- total 35 in Saudi Arabia

    Four new flu deaths in Saudi


    Latest four A(H1N1) casualties include three Saudis including two youths in same family, one foreigner.


    RIYADH - Saudi Arabia announced on Thursday four new deaths from swine flu, taking to seven the number of fatalities recorded in one week and to at least 35 the total for the kingdom.

    The four included three Saudis and one foreigner, who were not identified.

    On Tuesday, three deaths were reported from the A(H1N1) virus, all Saudis and including two youths in the same family.


    A day earlier, the government reported that it had been successful in preventing a mass outbreak of flu during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, when millions flocked to Mecca for the umrah minor pilgrimage. It said only 26 infections were reported in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.

    The government has postponed the beginning of the autumn school term by two weeks to be sure schools are prepared to deal with any outbreaks.

    More than 4,000 people have been infected with swine flu since it first appeared in the country in early June.

    According to the World Health Organisation's Eastern Mediterranean office, as of September 26, 12,008 infections and 74 deaths from A(H1N1) flu had been reported by member states in the region, stretching from Pakistan to Morocco.

    Figures from Israel and Algeria are not included in the WHO regional totals.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: A/H1N1 deaths- total 36 in Saudi Arabia

      Source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/56977...ine-flu-deaths

      Saudi confirms another 2 swine flu deaths
      by Martin Morris on Thursday, 08 October 2009


      Another two swine flu fatalities were confirmed on Wednesday by the Saudi Arabian Health Ministry, bringing the total number of deaths to 36.

      The World Health Organization (WHO) meanwhile said the number of reported cases of the H1N1 pandemic worldwide has now reached 343,298, including 4,108 deaths.

      Bahrain?s Health Ministry on Wednesday also reported another swine flu death - in this case a 48 year old woman.

      Official ministry spokesman Adel Abdullah said the patient was not suffering from any disease when brought in for treatment three days ago, but may have died due to an underlying heart issue.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: A/H1N1 deaths- total 37 in Saudi Arabia

        Source: http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&sect...tegory=Kingdom


        Friday 23 October 2009 (05 Dhul Qa`dah 1430)
        Four more swine flu deaths
        Samir Al-Saadi & Sultan Al-Tamimi | Arab News


        RIYADH/JEDDAH: Four people have died from swine flu, bringing the death toll in the Kingdom to 37.

        ?The dead were two Saudi females and two expatriate males,? Ministry of Health spokesman Dr. Khaled Al-Mirghalani told Arab News on Thursday.

        The victim?s identities have not been revealed, nor the nationalities of the two expatriates. Their families have been notified.

        Al-Mirghalani said the patients had been suffering from severe illnesses before being diagnosed with the H1N1 virus infection.

        ?Most swine flu fatalities in the Kingdom were patients with a history of chronic chest and lung diseases,? he added. The ministry conveyed its deepest sympathies to the victims? families.

        Over 3,500 people in the Kingdom have contracted the H1N1 virus; 98 percent of them have recovered.

        Meanwhile, the ministry is to open a new emergency hospital site in Jeddah for treating patients with swine flu.

        The hospital will be part of the Dr. Bakhsh General Hospital in Prince Sultan Road near the Globe Roundabout in northern Jeddah. It will be ready in two weeks.

        ?The hospital has 100 beds and it will be able to receive and treat cases of H1N1 infections during this Haj season. The hospital will be rented for one year and the contract will be extended if needed,? Assistant Director of Health Affairs Dr. Turki Al-Sharif said.

        The hospital is known for its internal medicine and intensive care units and is operated by a professional medical team and trained technical staff.

        ?The hospital is being customized to cater and treat those who are infected with the H1N1 virus, especially pilgrims who arrive in the city en route to performing Haj in Makkah,? Al-Sharif said.

        Thermal monitoring screens have been installed at King Abdulaziz International Airport to detect people who may have swine flu. Those who display symptoms are sent to the hospital for further tests.

        ?Positive cases will then be admitted to the hospital and released after they are cured. After that they will be able to return to their Haj groups,? Al-Sharif said.

        Al-Sharif added the Health Affairs office in Jeddah, Haj agents, the Directorate General of Passports and the airport officials were working together to oversee and report H1N1 cases to the hospital.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: A/H1N1 deaths- total 62 in Saudi Arabia

          Today's ECDC Situation report:

          another 23 novel H1N1 deaths in Saudi Arabia, takes total to 62.







          Swine flu 'second wave' begins in Saudi: minister

          (AFP) ? oct 31 2009

          RIYADH ? A second wave of swine flu has begun in Saudi Arabia, the health ministry said on Friday, as the death toll from A(H1N1) neared 60 just weeks before the annual hajj brings two million pilgrims to the country.

          "The ministry of health said a second wave of the swine flu virus began in early October with the beginning of the fall and cooler weather," the official SPA news agency reported.

          "The ministry has recorded a rise in the number of cases in the kingdom, as is the case in other countries of the northern hemisphere... which has led to an increase in deaths from the disease," it said.

          The ministry gave no figures, but ministry spokesman Khaled Marghlani said on Wednesday that swine flu deaths had reached 59 this week, according to media reports.

          Saudi Arabic stopped regular public updates of swine flu figures in September, when already the number of cases topped 4,000.

          Several schools were closed around the country during the past week and the authorities are girding for the possibility that swine flu cases could rocket with the arrival of more than two million pilgrims in the holy cities of Mecca and Medina for the hajj over the next three weeks.

          thanks to Tonka http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=130769

          Comment

          Working...
          X